Planning to Relactate - Bub almost 5 months

An area to discuss relactation and adoptive breastfeeding.
Juwairia

Planning to Relactate - Bub almost 5 months

Post by Juwairia » Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:45 pm

Hi everyone,

It is good to see such a support forum and has encouraged me to begin my plan soon.

My daughter is almost five months old now and I want to start breastfeeding her again. I breastfed her for about 1.5 months and started formula along with breastfeeding. I went overseas for a month and had to travel a lot with my baby, and usually could not breast feed her. My supply reduced and she started enjoying the formula. I tried to breastfeed her regularly again after coming back from overseas, but could not establish breast milk and my little girl didn’t latch afterwards and got frustrated as she couldn’t find any milk there, as I only had a few drops to offer. I even started taking medication to increase supply and had a few drops started after 2 days, but I thought it’s not working for me and thought I still don’t have enough milk. If I only knew that it would take me some more days or a week to have sufficient milk supply again I would have continued, or if I knew there was a thing like SNS, I would have used it.

Although, I have been reading articles now on mothers starting to breastfeed again after months and I would really want to start as well. Can you provide me with some resources or guidance in this respect? With all the information I have gathered, forums I have searched and some online videos on relactating mothers have made me more confident that I can also do it if I try. I have a plan to move with. Just to add here, I am also studying full time PhD, but I can usually manage a lot of the work from home, and I am planning to move forward as soon as I have some things in hand.

So, I’ll be having following ready as a plan to start with:
1. Electric Double Breast Pump (I hope I get it soon; I’ve ordered it online)
2. SNS (Also ordered online and awaiting its arrival or I could have started it right now)
3. medication to increase supply (prescription medication)
4. Fenugreek seed tablets
5. Oatmeal

I am also planning to get a breastfeeding support tablet having fenugreek and blessed thistle combination as well. My bub is on a dummy, I'm trying to latch her back on but she gets so fussy, so probably will wait till I get my milk re-established. I am planning to express as well as I would be needing it while I am away from her. Do give me any more tips if you can, I’ll greatly appreciate it. Everyone - wish me luck!

Regards
Juwairia

chiggins

Re: Planning to Relactate - Bub almost 5 months

Post by chiggins » Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:57 pm

:smt006 Hi and welcome to the forum!
Just wanted to say good on you for giving BFing another crack!! I hope it works out for you!
Have you considered giving the helpline a quick call? The ladies on the other end of the line are awesome and can help with any questions you may have. They've saved my sanity a couple of times!!
Im a new mum myself so Im not an expert like those mums on the helpline but it sounds to me like you are doing everything you can to get lactation happening again!
Have you considered using raspberry leaf tea as well as Fenugreek to help with lactation? They reckon its another natural product that may help!
Good luck hun and keep us updated with your progress!! xx
DD - Nov 2013
DS1 - Apr 2015
DS2 - Jun 2016 (BFing like a champ!)

Jenbt85

Post by Jenbt85 » Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:35 am

Best of luck with your journey :) Definitely give the helpline a call. I'm in awe of anyone attempting relactation - looking forward to hearing your progress :)
DS - bf 18.5 months (565 days)!
DD - breastfeeding

Storked by the fabulous forumites: AussieBritLu and PellyintheWilderness

Openly storking AussieBritLu

AussieBritLu
Community Educator

Post by AussieBritLu » Fri Feb 28, 2014 10:02 pm

Wow!

I attempted to re-lactate with my daughter when she was about 4 weeks old.....I was unsuccessful but not because of the lack of trying.....but because she was lazy and had grown to love the teats...she would flat out refuse the breast.....she'd scream blue murder whenever I tried to get her anywhere near me.

I wish you well......
Try and get as much calm skin to skin with your LO...no pressure to feed .... just lay back, relax and see what she does.
If you can get her to use you as a dummy instead, this will help with your supply as she'll be sucking on you instead of the dummy.

And I too ditto calling the Helpline....they'll be able to offer you a lot more suggestions to try :D

Best of luck with it!

PS. I now of someone else who managed to re-lactate with her LO too, so it can certainly be done.
DD1/2011 - FF
DS/2013 - BF 2yr4m. Weaned :-)
DD2/2016 - BF 21mths. Weaned :-/
Storked pseudo, lilypad & Vahvempi. Co-storked with Pelly for Jenbt85!
Storked by Giff for DS & Jenbt85 for DD2.

Juwairia

Post by Juwairia » Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:21 pm

Hi everyone,
I started on my journey on 28th Feb and today is my 7th day. I haven't been pumping as much as I should have, but it's all the time I could manage for pumping in my very busy schedule. I've been taking fenugreek seed capsules + prescription medicine for 6 days and yesterday started breastfeeding supplement as well. haven't tried any tea yet, but I may as I see road towards success.

Yes, today I managed to get quite a few drops of milk by pumping, the first ones were yesterday. I am happy at least it is working and I will definitely continue it. I know I have to increase my supply now, so will have to eat and drink more and pump pump pump.

As for the SNS, my little one literally screams and puts her face away as soon as she sees me pushing her towards boobs, so it didn't work for me yet. I would be happy if I can just maintain sufficient supply of milk through pumping to reduce the formula to half the current amount.

I think I need to pump more and concentrate on pumping now, as I think I haven't been pumping 5 -6 times a day. Can anyone tell me If I increase the duration of pumping from 15-20 mins to 30 mins, can i still build up sufficient supply? or would I still need the frequency in pumping?

Just for anyone who really wants to try.............It does work, but you need to be determined and patient.

J M
DD: 5 months old

Juwairia

Post by Juwairia » Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:28 pm

Hi again,

Just wanted to thank chiggins, AussieBritLu and Jenbt85 for their comments and support. I couldn't call the helpline as I don't get any free time in the morning. Can anyone tell me, can I call the helpline after 7 or 8pm? That's when my bub usually falls asleep.

Thanks
J M

Monicat

Post by Monicat » Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:04 pm

I am pretty sure the helpline is 24/7

Ronale
Counsellor

Post by Ronale » Fri Mar 07, 2014 7:35 am

Helpline is available 24/7, if you're having a hard time managing to call you can always email if you are an ABA member.
Have you been along to a local group meeting in your area? They can also provide some good support, and then you would have someone in your corner who you could see on a regular basis and update on your progress and they could give you further support and suggestions on what might work next.
There is a booklet we sell on re lactation and adoptive Breastfeeding, which has lots of information in it. I'm just about to run off to run an ABA group meeting on supply, but I think if you could squeeze in at least one more session a day (are you doing one in the middle of the night too?) that might help. Have a look in the exclusive expressing thread for some more suggestions on efficient pumping.
DS 06.10
DS2 01.13
DS3 07.15 Storked by the fantabulous moOKI

Jenbt85

Post by Jenbt85 » Sat Mar 08, 2014 6:32 pm

How are you going? :)
DD - breastfeeding

Juwairia

Post by Juwairia » Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:06 pm

Hi Everyone,

I haven't been regular in pumping and couldn't establish milk supply. I don't know how to manage time for it. :(
Today I started my effort from square one. I hope I can pump more to get some milk as I'm still getting only a few drops.

Juwairia

Jenbt85

Post by Jenbt85 » Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:30 pm

I hope it works out for you. Be kind to yourself, the fact you try at all is really special.
DD - breastfeeding

JulietteLeleu

Post by JulietteLeleu » Thu Mar 27, 2014 6:37 pm

Hi there,
how is it going? I was reading your thread and thought about a couple of things that can sometimes help: a bottle teat with a very small hole so your baby has to work harder to get the milk, to mimic the breast. Also, I agree that night expressing is helpful in establishing supply, as you make more prolactin during the night. Breast pumps are not always reliable at telling you how much milk you have, since they are not as efficient at removing milk from the breast as babies are.
The booklet 'relactation and adoptive breastfeeding' has some good tips on getting baby back to the breast, and maybe the 'when baby refuses the breast', but I haven't read it yet, so I'm not sure how helpful that one is.
Best luck to you, it's wonderful that you are doing such a hard job to give breastmilk to your baby. In the meantime before you get her to the breast, can your feed her your expressed milk, that might get her to enjoy the taste?