Large nipples - not able to breastfeed

For discussion of issues that arise in the early days of breastfeeding
tses

Large nipples - not able to breastfeed

Post by tses » Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:05 pm

Hi all,

My son is 14 days old and we have been struggling with bf since day 3. Tongue tie (snip last weeek), > 10% weight loss, jaundice, cracked nipples. And now that we are home and bubba is slowly gaining weight with a SNS top up, latch now no longer hurt and no new cracks in nipples, today I was told by early childhood Center that my nipples are way too big for bubba to latch correctly. I would like to know those that has big nipples ended up bf successfully. Is waiting for him to grow big and pump to maintain supply, the only thing I can do now?

Esther

Re: Large nipples - not able to breastfeed

Post by Esther » Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:28 pm

Hello and welcome to the forum. Congrats on the arrival of your little one!

May I suggest you try calling our 24/7 helpline to work out a plan with one of our breastfeeding counsellor/mums? In the early days, there can be all sorts of issues to look at with breastfeeding. You may well have large nipples, but there’s no reason why you can’t breastfeed successfully, especially once your son has grown a bit, which will happen quickly and help a lot! The human race wouldn’t have made it very far if a specific size of nipple was required :wink:

Good luck and let us know how you go.
Esther
DD1 05, DS 08, BB 11, DD2 12
Storked by nat*4
Storked Ellie's Mum, foggylog, jessiemay, Ducks & nat*4

tses

Post by tses » Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:31 am

Hello Esther :)

You replied to my post here when I had my first daughter 6 years ago. We ended up exclusively pump for 2 years :)

I can’t belueve I am still struggling with breastfeeding second time around. I have contacted the hot line and also a private lactation consultant (however her fees is very high so can’t afford her soon), both said that I would need to wait, in the meanwhile, continue feeding on SNS, pump frequently to keep supply up, slowly work in latch and really my nipple is as big as a 5c coin so I really have to wait. I don’t mind keep trying if I know it will work out on the end, he isn’t gaining weight (not even meeting birth weight in 14 days), my priority is to feed him so he gain his strength. I have done the EP path so I know i only need to work hard for 12 weeks to build my supply, we are now tossing with DH whether we should get back to pumping instead coz eventually I will be back to work and I would also like DH to feed DS before bed in a bottle with ebm.

It is a difficult decision as I know once the bottle is introduced there is no turning back. But now if I don’t pump more frequently I also runout of time to build up my supply.

Esther

Post by Esther » Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:07 pm

Hello! I thought the name rang a bell :D

Sounds tricky. Starting breastfeeding with any child always has its challenges - 1st, 2nd, 3rd, whichever! Different children offer us different, hmmm..."challenges"...?

It sounds like you and DH have to work out what works best for you. Just to throw it out there, is a bottle the only option? Could giving some feeds in a cup work and maybe make it easier to transfer back to boob? Dunno. Just thinking aloud.

Whatever you decide, it sounds like you have good support and know what you are doing. The forum is so quiet these days! I just pop in here occasionally to see if there's anything here, but mostly it's crickets :?

Good luck! Would love to hear how you get on. Feel free to send me a PM if you prefer.
Esther
Storked by nat*4

tses

Post by tses » Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:33 am

If I don’t have an older one to look after then yes we can keep going on the supply line on every feed.. and I would also like to admit, I also felt an instant relief when my DH gave the bottle feed last night! I wonder would a mix of bottle and breasts work?

I can see DS is improving on his suckle and latch on the breast every day, and it is a shame to give that up now, I have given myself a 12 weeks deadline to keep the supply line feed up so that he doesn’t forget how to bf. I know he prefers the comfort of the breast too as he looked confused when he saw daddy carrying a bottle lol.... that expression was priceless and I am glad I finally have a baby that doesn’t hate my breast. I think I also found closure of the failed bf experience last time which sent me straight to PND/anxiety which I battled for awhile.

I can see that the forum is very quiet, nice that you come back often to reply posts :)

Esther

Post by Esther » Thu May 03, 2018 9:56 pm

How's everything going for you and DS now tses?
Esther
Storked by nat*4