Frantic after feeding

For discussion of issues that arise in the early days of breastfeeding
Newdad

Frantic after feeding

Post by Newdad » Thu Feb 02, 2017 8:01 pm

Hi all. I have a beautiful 2 week old boy who has no trouble feeding, but often becomes frantic even after both breasts. Im not worried that he's not getting enough to eat, pooing and weeing regularly, and is sleeping well when he finally settles which can sometimes only come after a car ride.
His belly is a little distended and he hiccoughs frequently both whilst feeding and after. Burping seems not to work, nor does massage, leg cycling or bathing. Rather this seems to heighten his distress which is incredibly hard to watch.
My partner and i are tired, but mostly feeling a bit helpless when we see our child in distress. :(
Any suggestions? Thanks everyone! And thank you all for your posts in general! Great information!!!!

Jenbt85

Re: Frantic after feeding

Post by Jenbt85 » Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:14 am

Congratulations to you both on the birth of your son and welcome to the forum!

It can be normal to have fussy feeding sessions in the early weeks until supply is established (sometimes with hours of cluster feeding). It can be so easy to doubt supply when you see this! The ABA has a great article on signs that your baby is getting enough milk: https://www.breastfeeding.asn.au/bfinfo ... nough-milk

We can't give medical advice on the forum, so maybe check in with a GP if you are worried about the distended tummy :)

The breastfeeding helpline (1800 686 268) is also a brilliant resource to get tailored advice from trained breastfeeding counsellors too :)

Those early days can be overwhelming, but it sounds like you're both doing a brilliant job :) I hear you on driving them to sleep - there was one night I thought I'd end up in Adelaide before my son dropped off (and I live in Melbourne!) :lol:
DS - bf 18.5 months (565 days)!
DD - breastfeeding

Storked by the fabulous forumites: AussieBritLu and PellyintheWilderness

Openly storking AussieBritLu

Parla.
Counsellor

Post by Parla. » Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:28 pm

Congratulations on your beautiful boy. The link Jentbt85 posted is good - it sounds like you already know about signs your baby is getting enough, and I hope you find this reassuring.

When you say he's frantic, do you find there is something that does settle him?

Some babies really enjoy sucking and are very communicative about this from an early age. If going back on the breast soothes him and works for you as parents that's always something you can try if you haven't already.

Some babies really want to be held and feel movement (the driving made me think of this) and settle better in carriers, with either parent.

Frantic is a word I'd used to describe my first, and it was very full on and not at all like the other babies in my mothers group who slept quietly in their prams. Looking back now, it's her personality, and it's still challenging but also what I love about her.

Feel free to check back in and let us know how you're getting on.
Speak to a breastfeeding counsellor anytime - 1800 686 268

The Penguin chick is a very proud big sister 8)

Newdad

Post by Newdad » Fri Feb 03, 2017 6:10 pm

Thank you Parla and Jenbt85!

Usually he settles with much bouncing while being held and walked around the house, and/or a good long pram ride. I have made his bassinet and pram quite snug. I would love to be able to put him in a sling or similar so he can sleep while I walk around and do stuff, the QLD weather won't really allow for this atm.

The last couple of days nothing has settled him really, except for a car ride, which I am happy to do while my partner catches up on her sleep, but it's not really the way I want to live my life.

We are looking at our (my partner's), diet and will omit a number of things including garlic (of which we eat a lot), chilli, dairy, caffeine, chocolate and tinned tomatoes, (apparently?!?!?!).

This evening he has reached the point of exhaustion and fell off the boob with heavy eyes. I am relieved for the moment, and am feeling positive that the dietary changes will make a difference.

Thank you for the replies. I am very grateful and have enjoyed reading these and other posts on this forum. The ABA is cool! I will check out the link!

Being a parent is such an unexpected, mind blowing experience. Fantastic and a little bit stressful also. I wouldn't change a thing.

AussieBritLu
Community Educator

Post by AussieBritLu » Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:10 pm

welcome to the forum and congratulations.

My lo is 9 months and i find if i have dairy and soy then she can be hard to settle. Please be aware that it can take 6-8 weeks for dairy/soy to be out of both your partner's and son's systems, so it may take a while for you to notice a difference but don't give up. Maybe try eliminating one thing at a time then that way your partner won't be so restricted on what to eat....that's my personal experience.

I hope you find what works for you and your family. :D
DD1/2011 - FF
DS/2013 - BF 2yr4m. Weaned :-)
DD2/2016 - BF 21mths. Weaned :-/
Storked pseudo, lilypad & Vahvempi. Co-storked with Pelly for Jenbt85!
Storked by Giff for DS & Jenbt85 for DD2.

Jenbt85

Post by Jenbt85 » Sat Feb 04, 2017 8:13 am

Food intolerances can definitely cause bub to be unsettled. If there is a history of food intolerances in your family then it might be worth consulting a dietitian that is also breastfeeding friendly to investigate that further so you aren't on too restricted a diet (because having a new baby is hard enough) and to make sure your nutritional requirements are covered.

As Lu said, it can take weeks for some foods to be out of your system. Sometimes a food can cause a delayed reaction too - or it can be food chemical groups. I'm amine intolerant (which I had never heard of!) and can't eat about 60 foods (when I stick to it, that is!) but the symptoms don't hit me for two days after I eat them.

That being said, being unsettled can also be normal in newborns :) It does pass :)

Parenting reminds me of Tetris, some days the blocks all fit together and other days the blocks fall too fast!!
DD - breastfeeding

Jenbt85

Post by Jenbt85 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:11 pm

This link made me think of this thread:

https://www.breastfeeding.asn.au/bfinfo ... sitivities
DD - breastfeeding

sindyciaray

Post by sindyciaray » Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:47 am

When you say he's frantic, do you find there is something that does settle him?