Weaning is underway...Replacement Milk at 2?

How, when and why to introduce foods other than breastmilk
mochinbach

Weaning is underway...Replacement Milk at 2?

Post by mochinbach » Sat Jan 17, 2015 6:17 pm

So... it's happening... Kind of by accident but I seem to be weaning my LO. Some of you might have read about my IVF journey and breastfeeding in this forum but if not, lets just say I'm a reluctant weaner! (Which sounds hilarious when put like that!!) My son has forgotten to feed for the last 2 nights. We've just kept me out of the way at bed time and he's just gone to sleep... Amazeballs! That suggested to me that he was ok with weaning. Tonight though, he's remembered and he's crying and asking for 'mummy boobies'... My poor husband is in there with him now trying to help him get to sleep without me.

I feel terrible. We have to wean though or we can't go through another round of IVF and we really have tried everything else so this is the last thing. He is 2 now. It was his birthday on the 8th of Jan so I know we've done really well. It's such an amazing thing we have been sharing and I'm very sad to see it go :( I'm even sadder now I think he's missing it too :( It's hard isn't it because I can't go in there and comfort him - it'll make it worse. Rational me knows that he will be asleep in 5/10 when he realises we're serious. Extra cuddles for us both in the morning i reckon! :)

Anyway... I digress... I actually wanted to know if I'm supposed to substitute the breast milk for anything? Am i supposed to get some other kind of milk into him? I'm not sure!! What do you guys do? He eats very well so I'm sure he won't be hungry! ;) I just have a vague memory of someone mentioning a pint of milk every day until they're some age or other... Am I imagining that?

BTW the crying has already stopped (phew) I knew typing on here would help! ;)

Esther

Re: Weaning is underway...Replacement Milk at 2?

Post by Esther » Sat Jan 17, 2015 8:37 pm

Ah forum magic. Doncha love it!

Congrats on 2 years of breastfeeding DS!! There's no need to "replace" breastmilk with any kind of other milk. I tend to think of cow's milk being far more like a food, as it takes so long for our bodies to digest.

You can search online for the Australian dietary guidelines for children. Calcium is an important part of our diet, but there are many other sources apart from drinking milk. Milk is just an easy way to get it.

Provided you offer a range of foods and water as needed, human milk,isn't an essential that needs to be replaced with other milk.

HTH
Esther
DD1 05, DS 08, BB 11, DD2 12
Storked by nat*4
Storked Ellie's Mum, foggylog, jessiemay, Ducks & nat*4

fellare

Post by fellare » Sat Jan 17, 2015 8:38 pm

I'm not really weaning but my mils nearly died up due to pregnancy. Ds is 3. As we're nearly vegan I'm not replacing with any milk. Just food and water. He does like soy milk but i think it's better if he just gets a little of it. Rather him eat pudding or something that requires chewing.
Boobymonster weaned at 3.5yrs.
Ms Firestorm born august 2015
Whatever you perceive to believe, dream.... be free.... (eMDee)

mochinbach

Post by mochinbach » Sat Jan 17, 2015 9:43 pm

Thanks guys :) good! He won't drink cows milk. We h e soy at home so that may be why? But he has soy milk on his cereal. Glad it's ok not to go cow milk crazy. :) phew!