Donor Milk donators

For information and resources about donor breast milk.
springrose

Donor Milk donators

Post by springrose » Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:02 pm

Hi, just wondering if there are any milk donors out there. I have emailed my questions to the Donor milk but have not heard from them. I was wondering what will be provided to milk donors (pump? milk bottles? breastmilk bags?) and how the process of milk collection will be done (will i have to deliver? will they come to collect?) and if anyone knows the drop-off locations in Brisbane. Cheers!

mooki
Site Admin

Post by mooki » Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:04 pm

Hi and welcome!

Are you referring specifically to milk banks?

Maybe there is a number and you could speak to someone specifically. havent donated to a milk bank before but I know there are people here who have. They may be able to share their experiences. im not sure if it varies state to state.

strolltotheshops

Post by strolltotheshops » Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:16 pm

As mooki says, it depends whether you're donating to a milk bank or privately. This page https://www.breastfeeding.asn.au/donor-milk has links to some Australian milk banks and some facebook groups that facilitate private milk sharing.

Penguin

Post by Penguin » Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:09 pm

I offered to donate to a milk bank but was turned away as they had enough donors (for what they had the ability to process).

I donated privately to a friend as a one off.

In that link above to the Position Statement there are links to private milk sharing organisation like Human Milk for Human Babies where the arrangments are made between donor and recipient (not by HM4HB).
DD1 May 2011
Super baby Dec 2013
DD2 Feb 2015 Storked by Parla.
Proud storker: michansam's DS3, katsbi's DD3 and Gwen's mum's DS

springrose

mothers milk bank

Post by springrose » Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:59 am

thanks for all the replies. i was referring to mothers milk bank, but found the resources page provided useful. will have a read.

fellare

Post by fellare » Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:11 am

When I donated to a milkbank, they provided pump, bottles. I had to drop off the milk myself as I had to sign a form each time.

Well worth it
Boobymonster weaned at 3.5yrs.
Ms Firestorm born august 2015
Whatever you perceive to believe, dream.... be free.... (eMDee)

springrose

Post by springrose » Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:32 pm

great to hear the positive experience!
fellare wrote:When I donated to a milkbank, they provided pump, bottles. I had to drop off the milk myself as I had to sign a form each time.

Well worth it

springrose

Post by springrose » Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:09 pm

just to update all, submitted my forms and blood results and they sent me a box of 31 empty sterilized bottles and a small bottle of hand sanitizer, and instructions to express milk. They will come collect when I have filled all of them. Can't tell how excited I am, and hopefully I will be able to produce milk when the time comes!

fellare

Post by fellare » Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:20 pm

awesome!

The only issue I had was that I would express 100mL every morning. This was easy to me, I'd leak that much if I looked the wrong way :/ it's not really normal.
but anyway, I think it contributed to the 4 months of engorgements I had. So you have to be careful not to express too much, no matter how exciting it is to fill up a bottle! My bottles were 120mL, I felt it as pressure to fill them up.
Boobymonster weaned at 3.5yrs.
Ms Firestorm born august 2015
Whatever you perceive to believe, dream.... be free.... (eMDee)

mooki
Site Admin

Post by mooki » Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:35 pm

fantastic!!

Penguin

Post by Penguin » Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:30 pm

springrose wrote:just to update all, submitted my forms and blood results and they sent me a box of 31 empty sterilized bottles and a small bottle of hand sanitizer, and instructions to express milk. They will come collect when I have filled all of them. Can't tell how excited I am, and hopefully I will be able to produce milk when the time comes!
Oh wow, that's fantastic!
DD1 May 2011
Super baby Dec 2013
DD2 Feb 2015 Storked by Parla.
Proud storker: michansam's DS3, katsbi's DD3 and Gwen's mum's DS

pigeon123

Re:

Post by pigeon123 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:35 am

strolltotheshops wrote:As mooki says, it depends whether you're donating to a milk bank or privately. This page Indooroopilly Property Management has links to some Australian milk banks and some facebook groups that facilitate private milk sharing.
Thank you for this information it was really helpfull for me!

Take care!