Stressful supply problems?!!

Breastfeeding does not always work out, this is a place to discuss your situation and feelings
mihriam

Stressful supply problems?!!

Post by mihriam » Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:37 pm

Hi I have a 3 month old baby boy and I have been having a supply problem (I'm pretty sure its a supply problem? :| ) since his birth. When he was born I tried breastfeeding but he had difficulty attaching, like I'm sure a lot of mothers experience, but we worked on it and he got better at it! only problem was a few days later breastfeeding became unbearably painful and I mean painful it was so horrible I decided to bring in formula which I was extremely hesitant against but I felt I didn't have a choice I even tried a nipple shield and all the soothing creams, anyway so when he was about 3-4 days old I had started feeding formula but I felt so horrible about giving him formula I decided to try breastfeeding again, It was still painful so I decided to feed him both formula and breastfeed.
But then when he was about 1 month, the breastfeeding pain wasn't so bad, so I decided to try and get rid of the formula, only he would never get full from my breasts unless they had gone rock hard. The breastfeeding consulter put me on medication, It didnt work.
Now 3 months later he barely even breastfeeds anymore, I try to feed him everytime hes hungry but he suckles for a little bit then starts crying and just recently I have tried pumping and have got under 10mL each time, Its depressing and I wish I just put up with the pain in the beginning so I wouldnt have this problem. I dont want him on formula and dont know what to do :(
PLEASE HELP

PellyintheWilderness

Re: Stressful supply problems?!!

Post by PellyintheWilderness » Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:02 pm

Hello Miriam, that certainly sounds like a stressful and difficult situation. Have you tried calling the ABA helpline? 1800 686 268, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Nipple pain and low supply are some of the most common problems mothers have when breastfeeding, and there are lots of things that might help. The counsellors will be happy to talk through those with you.
Good luck, and keep us posted!
Proud co-storker for AndyPandy (with mooki)
Proud co-storker for Jenbt85 (with AussieBritLu)

DD May 2005 bf 12 months
DS1 May 2005 bf 37 months
DS2 Nov 2011 bf 36 months
DS3 Nov 2011 bf 38 months

fellare

Post by fellare » Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:47 pm

I second calling the helpline.

big hugs, you've done well dealing with the pain and finding a way through. it's hard and I'm sorry you didn't have the support to help you fix the problem in those early days.

The best way to increase supply, is by increasing demand. Can you offer the breast every time bub stirs? As often as possible, even if it's every 20 minutes!
The lack of milk when you expressed can be explained by not getting a let down for the pump. The let down reflex is strongly influenced by oxytocin. Any stress, fear, anxiety can reduce oxytocin enough to not get the let down happening. Don't worry, though, babies have their way to get it happening for them no matter how stressed you are. babies aren't pumps, they are far more effective! Thus, what you express is no indicator of what you got at all (ie, for me, stress can be the difference between 150 and 10 mL!!, mondays are the hardest) a counsellor on helpline can talk you through ways to express easier.

bug hugs again and let us know how you go! no need to give up just yet as there are a few things you can try.
Boobymonster weaned at 3.5yrs.
Ms Firestorm born august 2015
Whatever you perceive to believe, dream.... be free.... (eMDee)

Penguin

Post by Penguin » Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:13 pm

Hi Mirhiam and welcome to the forum!

I third giving the helpline a call - trained breastfeeding counsellors are rostered on to take you call, discuss your situation and help you to make a plan for you and bub.

There's some info on our website which might give you some ideas too
https://www.breastfeeding.asn.au/bfinfo/mixed-feeding
https://www.breastfeeding.asn.au/bfinfo ... nough-milk
https://www.breastfeeding.asn.au/bfinfo ... upplements

Good luck and please hang around and let us know how you get on!
DD1 May 2011
Super baby Dec 2013
DD2 Feb 2015 Storked by Parla.
Proud storker: michansam's DS3, katsbi's DD3 and Gwen's mum's DS

iamregina

Post by iamregina » Tue Apr 19, 2016 12:57 pm

fellare wrote:I second calling the helpline.

big hugs, you've done well dealing with the pain and finding a way through. it's hard and I'm sorry you didn't have the support to help you fix the problem in those early days.

The best way to increase supply, is by increasing demand. Can you offer the breast every time bub stirs? As often as possible, even if it's every 20 minutes!
The lack of milk when you expressed can be explained by not getting a let down for the pump. The let down reflex is strongly influenced by oxytocin. Any stress, fear, anxiety can reduce oxytocin enough to not get the let down happening. Don't worry, though, babies have their way to get it happening for them no matter how stressed you are. babies aren't pumps, they are far more effective! Thus, what you express is no indicator of what you got at all (ie, for me, stress can be the difference between 150 and 10 mL!!, mondays are the hardest) a counsellor on helpline can talk you through ways to express easier.

bug hugs again and let us know how you go! no need to give up just yet as there are a few things you can try.
I also suggest you call the helpline. I best friend actually went through the same struggle. I came across an article online though entitled When Your Breastmilk is Delayed After Birth- http://www.milkandlove.com.au/blog/when ... ter-birth/ tackling several reasons why some moms experience decrease in supply. And this article from Australian Breastfeeding Association in Increasing Supply- https://www.breastfeeding.asn.au/bf-inf ... mum/supply . Hope it helps. If you still go through the pain, it might be best to consult a counsellor. Good luck!

Almalutz

Post by Almalutz » Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:09 pm

One of my cousin got a baby last month. Now she is facing the same issue.