Will I regret giving up?

Breastfeeding does not always work out, this is a place to discuss your situation and feelings

Re: Will I regret giving up?

Postby Little Tiggermum » Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:01 am

I have the contact details of a counsellor who has gone through massive vasospasm and mastitis trauma and is happy to speak to mums about this. pm me if you'd like her details.
DD#1 Boozo 15
DD#2 Puddins 12
DS Emperor Bulldog 9
DS2 Pumba 4
Can't get to a breastfeeding support group? http://mumsright.libsyn.com
Little Tiggermum
Site Admin

Postby Nicwwjd » Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:50 pm

TeamThomas- it was interesting. Once the nipple thrush resolved I did have some improvement, but the pain on my left never resolved. It would go away for a week and then reappear... But the intensity did reduce a bit. I still remember DS's last feed and there was still discomfort and that was when he was just over 15 months. I had huge supply, so Lil man fed one side only for a long time, which helped me get through- only alternate feeds were painful. He did eventually go to both sides at a feed, but by then my right had petty much resolved with feeding pain. The left persisted though. And warm weather made a HUGE difference! Bring on spring and summer! Amazing how much of a difference it made!! Scarves really were (and Infact still are) my best friend in winter!!

Even now, 2.5 years down the track I can tell there are still vasospasm issues... So thanks for the details on when to start the supplements! I talked with my MW about them on Tues and I'm starting them now- fingers crossed they help! We are putting together a detailed plan to manage it this time, forewarned means forearmed! I'm trying not to think about the pain before bub arrives ;)

Feel free to fire any more questions you might have xx
Nicwwjd

Postby libbymacgregor » Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:53 am

hi Ladies
Does anyone know how TeamThomas ended up? i am in exactly the same situation
libbymacgregor

Postby Nicwwjd » Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:52 pm

I was wondering the same libbymacgregor. It is hard feeding with such persistent pain. This time around (DD is 3.5 weeks) I am doing better and she is feeding well and pain is much better controlled. If I were struggling again, I would definitely take up little Tiggermum's offer and get in contact with the counsellor with the previous experience of just this. I hope you find some helpful advice x
Nicwwjd

Postby TeamThomas » Sun Dec 14, 2014 10:49 am

Hi All, I just wanted to follow up on my story as I know I found it frustrating reading post with simple issues but not knowing how they got on. We need closure! I've been meaning to do it for months, but gazing lovingly at my son seems to take up most of my time...
We were definitely some of the lucky ones. After I made peace with the idea of not being able to breastfeed, things started to improve. Also the warmer weather kicked in! By 3 months I was solely bottle feeding EBM and was preparing to move on to formula. I stopped taking the nifedipine. The pain began to subside, the longer I was only expressing, so it made me want to try the breast again. I started off just doing one a day, then very slowly worked up from there, until without even really noticing, I was doing all but the dreamfeed at the breast. It definitely wasn't pain free, but it was manageable. I had a relapse at around 5 months, but I think it was due to DS developing a stronger suck which caused blisters and scar tissue, bringing the vasospasm back on. I am now 100% breastfeeding and even let him comfort feed sometimes (because I can!!). My supply has stayed really high, so we are able to donate milk to a lady who couldn't feed her son due to breast cancer, which makes our hard journey feel worthwhile (and no where near as hard as other people's journeys). I am still taking the supplements and it has been recommended that I do that until we finish BF. I can't say that this will be the outcome for everybody, but it is useful and encouraging to know that there is hope. And formula is not the devil! If this happened again with a future baby, I think I would stop sooner so I could focus on enjoying every second with them. It just flies! Best of luck to every new family out there, and thank you to those who offered amazing support and encouragement when I really needed it. Xx
TeamThomas

Postby Jenbt85 » Sun Dec 14, 2014 12:08 pm

Fabulous news! I'm so happy that everything worked out for you :)
DS - bf 18.5 months (565 days)!
DD - breastfeeding

Storked by the fabulous forumites: AussieBritLu and PellyintheWilderness

Openly storking AussieBritLu
Jenbt85

Postby Yankee » Sun Dec 14, 2014 7:52 pm

It is lovely of you to come back around and let us know how you went!
DD born September 2013
Yankee

Postby ClOuD_NiNe » Sun Dec 14, 2014 8:49 pm

That's wonderful! Thanks so much for taking the time to update :D
DS July 11 - bf for 10 months
Storked by the lovely mooki
~WildChild~ was my storker
ClOuD_NiNe

Postby Nicwwjd » Fri Dec 19, 2014 6:11 am

Wahoo!!! :D :smt023