Advice/ suggestions on how much EBM is beneficial

Breastfeeding does not always work out, this is a place to discuss your situation and feelings

Advice/ suggestions on how much EBM is beneficial

Postby Isabelle2013 » Thu May 22, 2014 3:07 pm

I dont know if I am posting this in the right section, so appologise in advance, but I am desperate for some advice. I have called the ABA but the person was unable to assist and suggested I post on here for some more suggestions/advice.

A bit of background. My 9 month old woke up from her nap 4 weeks ago and has refused to breastfeed ever since. She had only ever had 2 bottles prior to this and never any formula. Breastfeeing had never been a problem and she has never been a fussy feeder so this was completely out of the blue. Everyone said it was "breast refusal" and would pass, but it is now 4 weeks and I have continued expressing every feed and given it to her in a bottle which she has taken. I have now stopped offering her the breast this past week as I just cant take the rejection any more.

I would like some opinions as to where to go from here. My supply has been steadily decreasing (even though I am pumping), but also I dont want to continue to pump 3x a day but would still like to get to 12 months of breast milk in her diet.

At the moment I am pumping around 400ml a day and I would like to decrease to only pumping morning and night. So at the moment she is having 1x bottle of ebm (180ml) and 3x formula (160-180ml). I have been freezing the second bottle each day in the hope that as my supply diminishes I willl still have enough statsh to provide 1 bottle a day of EBM.

Do you think she would benefit from this or should I just give her as much ebm now as I can (2 bottles) and when suppy runs out/ I stop pumping I decide then to switch to full formula/cows milk depending on her age? I dont want to be tied to the pump any longer than necessary as it is hard physicall and emotionally, but I also want her to receive as much breast milk as possible. Suggestions?

Re: Advice/ suggestions on how much EBM is beneficial

Postby fellare » Thu May 22, 2014 3:33 pm

I don't really know. Have you got any idea/inkling as to why the beat refusal? Did you talk to any health professional about it?
Boobymonster weaned at 3.5yrs.
Ms Firestorm born august 2015
Whatever you perceive to believe, dream.... be free.... (eMDee)

Postby Ronale » Thu May 22, 2014 3:49 pm

Any EBM is better than none, and more is better than less, but you knew that already right :lol:

As far as what happens from here, pumping twice a day should be sufficient, however the amount of milk you get will depend on the type of pump (manual or electric, single or double) and how well you can stimulate your letdown. If you are finding expressing sessions quite stressful then it is possible that if you can relax a little bit more you might increase your yield per session while dropping to two sessions.

There are some interesting ideas about ways to increase supply while exclusively expressing in the ee thread viewtopic.php?f=29&t=12229. Some mums do find that their supply decreases with only expressing, some find that some skin to skin time is enough to increase it again, others find expressing more frequently, or with a more efficient pump is better.

When your daughter started refusing, did you feel there was any particular reason? Illness, teeth, ear infection, stress in your life, period/ovulation/pregnancy? These are all reasons for why a baby might refuse to feed. Sometimes, however, the reason is obvious, other times it is not.

Good work for feeding to 9 months, and planning to continue to express until 12 months. You're doing a great job! :-D
DS 06.10
DS2 01.13
DS3 07.15 Storked by the fantabulous moOKI

Postby Yankee » Thu May 22, 2014 7:10 pm

Congratulations on making it this far, you're a great mum who has given your bub the best start you can. You're a champ for continuing to express this long, it's no fun is it.

As others have said, any EBM is better than none, and there are strategies you can try to increase the amount. But in the end only you can decide what is best for you and your baby, weighing up the benefits of EBM against your own emotional sanity and the relationship you have with your baby.
DD born September 2013

Postby Nedsmum » Thu May 22, 2014 9:22 pm

Personally, I would continue too alternate the EBM and powder milk for as long as possible. That is because there are things in EBM that will help their immune system and also her digestion, that are not in the powder will definitely notice am change in her digestion/waste output once the EBM is completely stopped.... :oops:
Breastmilk - the ultimate 'brain food'!!!

Postby strolltotheshops » Fri May 23, 2014 9:08 am

Great suggestions from the others.

Donor milk might also be an option for you..?

Return to When breastfeeding does not work out