No supply at all!

Breastfeeding does not always work out, this is a place to discuss your situation and feelings
Emerald_Mummy

No supply at all!

Post by Emerald_Mummy » Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:23 am

Hi, I'm new to the forum.
I was just wondering if anyone had a similar experience as me.
After my 1st child was born I didn't have any milk absolutely nothing, even the colostrum was very little & even when I was pregnant my breasts didnt change.
I ended up bottle feeding (while still trying to express) which I didn't have a problem with and will happily do it again for the next if the same thing happens. But did anyone have the same problem with the 1st & ended up breast feeding with your next babies?
Thanks.

fellare

Post by fellare » Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:30 am

Welcome!

It's very rare, but not impossible to have no milk. Did you see a lactation consultant first time? Did you get a diagnosis, for example insufficient glandular tissue? There could have been a few reasons.

Might be a good idea to call the help line, to debrief your first breastfeeding experience. You can also visit your local group to learn more about breast feeding, or go to a breastfeeding education class.
Boobymonster weaned at 3.5yrs.
Ms Firestorm born august 2015
Whatever you perceive to believe, dream.... be free.... (eMDee)

Emerald_Mummy

Post by Emerald_Mummy » Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:50 am

Thank you.
No I didn't even know what a lactation consultant was until it was too late, like most first mums I had no idea when it came to breast feeding. The nurses at the hospital, my ob, drs, and midwifes that made house calls never mentioned anything about getting blood tests or looking into it more.
I felt quite alone as no one I knew had the same problem. I think I will go back to my dr & look into it more.
Thanks again.

Ronale
Counsellor

Post by Ronale » Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:58 am

There's a mum on the forum who has just done a couple of posts about her experiences with her new baby. Perhaps you'd like to have a look through some of the other threads around IGT (insufficient Glandular Tissue), supply line (or SNS) low milk supply might give you some information, but it might just give you a lot of information about other mothers who have struggled with breastfeeding, but have found other ways of providing breastmilk to their babies, if you are interested in going down that path.
I second fellare's idea of seeing an LC. Sometimes talking with one prior to birth and having a plan in place, or at least a few ideas to try beforehand, can be very helpful when you get to 3am on the first morning.
DS 06.10
DS2 01.13
DS3 07.15 Storked by the fantabulous moOKI

Feather

Post by Feather » Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:31 am

Hello! I had a similar experience with my first. I was diagnosed with Insufficient Glandular Tissue and have fed all three of my babies with a supply line (SNS) at the breast to supplement.

No breast changes during pregnancy can be an indicator for IGT. Diagnosis for IGT and low supply usually isn't straight forward so seeing an IBCLC (International Board Certified Lactation Consultant) is your first step. It is possible to successfully breastfeed subsequent babies. Education is key so you're off to the right start :D
Breastfeeding with IGT, that's me!
DD1 - Nov08
DD2 - Oct10
DS - Oct13

Emerald_Mummy

Post by Emerald_Mummy » Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:12 pm

Thanks so much ladies! It really helps, will look into all your suggestions.
:D

ClOuD_NiNe

Post by ClOuD_NiNe » Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:32 am

Hi and welcome to the forum!

A debrief with a LC is a great idea and will make you feel a lot more prepared. After a less than optimal start breastfeeding bub #1 (supply issues), i did a similar thing before having bub #2. I debriefed with an ABA email counsellor as well as a LC, educated myself on breastfeeding, and came up with a plan to ensure my best chance of success. Like Feather said, education is the key. Good luck!
DS July 11 - bf for 10 months
Storked by the lovely mooki
~WildChild~ was my storker