Fenugreek advice

Breastfeeding does not always work out, this is a place to discuss your situation and feelings
Kaitlyno2

Fenugreek advice

Post by Kaitlyno2 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:14 am

Have you taken fenugreek to increase your supply?
Was it successful?
How long did it take?
What else can I try?
Mother of a beautiful boy born Dec 13

fellare

Post by fellare » Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:23 am

hi and welcome!

I haven't tried fenugreek.

best way to increase supply is to increase demand. Feed, feed, feed, feed feed, put that baby to the breast every time he stirs. The more frequent the better. The more often your breasts are drained the more signals they get to make more milk.
Boobymonster weaned at 3.5yrs.
Ms Firestorm born august 2015
Whatever you perceive to believe, dream.... be free.... (eMDee)

Kaitlyno2

Post by Kaitlyno2 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:37 am

Thanks for the advice,
My little man demand feeds
But was loosing weight, I began comp feeding and have been slowly cutting down the amount I give him of formula each time (by 10ml every few days) when I do start to cut the formula down he doesn't gain very much weight (80grams in 8 days)
So I want something extra to help.
I am seeing a lactation consultant on Tuesday, but I was curious for information now.

Yankee

Post by Yankee » Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:59 am

Hi and welcome!

I haven't taken fenugreek, but there is a prescription medication that increases supply that I take. It's not a silver bullet but it definitely increased my supply. PM me if you want the name of the script, but if you mention it to your LC I'm sure she would have heard of it. Good on you for looking for help!
DD born September 2013

fellare

Post by fellare » Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:45 am

You can also do breast compressions, to get more milk out during a feed.

How often does he feed? Can you try topping up on the breast? You're breast will be ready for the next feed in about 20 min!

Have you gone to your local group? there is great face to face support there too. You don't need to be a member for the first few times.

Lilypad

Post by Lilypad » Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:55 am

I've taken fenugreek with some success. It's best if taken with Blessed Thistle capsules too. From memory it took a couple of days to work. You have to take a quite high dose. You don't have to smell like maple syrup like some websites say, but its still quite a lot so capsules to be effective.
I also took the medication from the Dr to increase supply.

I would also suggest asking your LC about using a Supply line for any comp feeds. That way the baby gets the top up at the breast further stimulating your supply and removing the possible complication of nipple confusion. I never managed to get rid of the comp feeds myself, but I still breastfeed using the supply line.

Alongside all of that there are the conventional things to increase supply, lots of skin to skin, feed feed feed, drinking plenty of water, making sure his latch is good etc.

Has he been checked for tongue or lip ties?

Good luck.
IGT sufferer, former long term SNS user.
Two terrific girls!

Kaitlyno2

Post by Kaitlyno2 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:16 pm

Thanks Yankee,
I think I know the one!
And will defiantly ask LC

Fellare I do breast compressions also.

I feed about every 2-3 hours or whenever he is hungry.
I then stop and cuddle him and if he is still hungry I try the breast again, only after he second time will I give in and give him a bottle.

The first feed in the morning after a 4-6 hour sleep he feeds very well, and doesn't need a bottle, he doesn't fuss and before the feed my breast are firm, he sucks strongly and I can hear the loud swallows
As the day goes on he doesn't suck as strongly , and I can't hear loud swallows, and he is hungry afterwards!
Driving me nuts, over sterilising bottles and making up formula!

And more tips that are completely out of the box? As I'm trying everything I've found on ABA so far!

Kaitlyno2

Post by Kaitlyno2 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:20 pm

Funny thing is lilypad I kind of think he has a upper lip tie, that's what prompted me to go see LC. But as I've never seen one in really life I'm only going off pictures and what my lip looks like.

fellare

Post by fellare » Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:00 pm

It's pretty common for babies to be fussier in the afternoon. They tend to cluster feed and may want to be on the breast for ages. Mine fed more frequently in the afternoon, especially on hot days and I had oversupply. It's ok to feed them every twenty minutes, if that's what they ask for. Most milk is made during the feed, not before, so that shouldn't be a problem.

I do second seeing an lc. Have you called the help line? It's a bit easier to help that way. They can ask the more personal questions
It would be great to have the latch checked.

Skin to skin works well as well. You could have daily baths together. I've also heard of mums taking a breastfeeding holiday, where for a day or two they spend all day in bed, as naked as possible, where they just feed and rest. A partner takes care of mum and ensures there is plenty of food and drink.

chiggins

Post by chiggins » Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:22 pm

Hi Kaitlyno2,

Im on prescription meds and taking Fenugreek to help increase my supply.
Your story regarding breastfeeding bubs is almost identical to mine!! Really, it could be my story! Im slowly weaning my DD off formula top ups too, and it seems to be working. Im down to just 20mls a day at night now.
I too have HEAPS of milk in the morning, and its starting to squirt out at that time of day too. I feed on the left breast without realising the right breast is leaking like a sieve at the same time! I had to change my PJ top this morning as I didn't realise it was getting saturated by the other breast.

Fenugreek works to aid digestion (thats what its marketed for) but works on breast milk supply much like the prescription medication. The Domp...done medication Im taking is to aid digestion and helps with nausea but can also be used to assist in increasing milk supply. Both the Fenugreek and prescription meds are working well for me. I found the prescription meds alone were not enough.
The other thing to remember if you go the med route, is that you must take it on an empty stomach, at least half hour before you eat. It wont work as well, if at all, if you dont do this. :)

Like the others say... chat to your LC and get the pro's advice. But I swear by my meds. I was doing the FTUs every feed and my DD was almost relying on it for her feeds (ie - not really draining my breasts because she knew a bottle was coming) but now Im not giving top ups and she is spending longer at the breast and really draining them well.

Good luck and let us know how you go!
PS - Raspberry leaf tea is supposed to work well for milk production too. Not sure if you've heard of this...?
:smt023
DD - Nov 2013
DS1 - Apr 2015
DS2 - Jun 2016 (BFing like a champ!)

Kaitlyno2

Post by Kaitlyno2 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:37 pm

Fellare

He's fussy from about two hours after his first feed, not just in the afternoon.
Breastfeeding holiday sounds like a great idea, I've taken a mini one this afternoon, and sat in bed with my little man skin to skin on my chest.
Just to make it more complicated he decided not to attach all afternoon, so instead of feeding him all arvo I spent the time trying to calm him down and get him to attach!

I've had some days where all I do is feed, he had to go in antibiotics last week due to a nasty infection and all he did was feed and cry for two days, and even though that was not enjoyable I thought excellent this will increase my supply! But it didn't! Or if it did, it wasn't noticeable.

Anyway thanks for the advice.

Kaitlyno2

Post by Kaitlyno2 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:42 pm

Chiggins

It's nice to hear a success story!

And I will give raspberry leaf tea a try!

Kaitlyno2

Post by Kaitlyno2 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:52 pm

I thought I'd just update you all on what happened with the Lactation consultant,
I think I was hoping for a miracle, she didn't have any new information for me, except that increasing the amount of protein I have in my diet may help...
Which I am now doing,
I'm finding any advice anyone gives me frustrating because I have read everything on this website and many more, so I am doing all the things I'm meant to doing, and it's like yes I'm doing that! Tell me something helpful!
Which is obviously not anyone else's fault, its just me getting over it all.

Although I am glad to report my gorgeous boy has happily been taking 40mls instead of 60 and has had a few less bottles today, even though it has been so hot.
Fingers crossed his weight gain doesn't suffer for it. I'll find out on Tuesday.

SueParker

Re: Fenugreek advice

Post by SueParker » Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:38 am

I had a lot of success taking Fenugreek. I found the best way to take it was to put Fenugreek powder in herbal tea - I have a tea every day anyway so was an easy way to get it into my routine.