Comp feeding Successs Stories Please

Breastfeeding does not always work out, this is a place to discuss your situation and feelings
Lilypad

Re: Comp feeding Successs Stories Please

Post by Lilypad » Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:10 pm

Hi Twocam,

I always felt guilty too! It's a horrid feeling.

I'm really glad things are working well with you and the SNS. I was never able to reduce the size of the comps. With my first when I used bottles I had to increase them quite a lot by the end. But with my second using the SNS, after the initial 3 months, working out what amounts suited her, we just kept plugging along with no comp reductions, but happily no increases either. It took me a long time to accept that I wasn't going to 'cured'. When I started feeding my second, I was far more pragmatic than with my first, although I think at the back of my mind I thought I would be able to eventually exclusively breast feed. So there was a little bit of a grieving process to go through even though I fully expected it not to go perfectly.
I still get a little sad now, but I try to focus on what I did do, which was actually quite a lot! And I may not have been able to produce all my needed in terms of calories, but I certainly produce all the love and comfort they could want.

I'm really glad you can take comfort with these stories, it's hearing other people's tales that helped me along too.
IGT sufferer, former long term SNS user.
Two terrific girls!

Yankee

Post by Yankee » Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:31 pm

I had to comp feed within a week or two of DD's birth because her latch caused so much damage I had to take her off the breast. Even expressing hurt so for her first 6 weeks I had to use formula as well as EBM. By the time my nipples healed, my supply had set just a bit too low. I went on the medication and tried for weeks to wean her off the last formula top up (at bedtime), but finally had to accept that it just wasn't going to happen. It can be so horrible feeling like you "can't feed your baby," but I'm at peace with it now.

She's almost 7 months now and we still do that final formula top up, but now that she's on solids too I've noticed she doesn't need as much of that final top up.

Chin up, just remember that whether you're breast feeding or have to use formula, you're taking care of your baby! Every bit of breast milk you can give is doing them good.
DD born September 2013

Jenbt85

Post by Jenbt85 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:57 pm

I had to supplement with formula for the first two months and can remember the guilt. I didn't use formula regularly after two months (my supply tablets kicked in at that point) and I was weaned off from them by six months. Looking back, I wonder if I just didn't have confidence in my supply or if I really had a supply problem. My son fed every 45 minutes for 8 weeks until the supply tablets started working, where he then moved to two hourly.

I struggle to express and have used formula sparingly for days when I'm not around. In hindsight, I feel lucky to have had access to formula (as an informed choice, though donor milk isn't promoted... But that's for another thread!) as a back up for when breastfeeding doesn't go to plan - DS didn't latch on properly until day ten so I was feeding ebm and formula top ups, then bf with ftu.
DS - bf 18.5 months (565 days)!
DD - breastfeeding

Storked by the fabulous forumites: AussieBritLu and PellyintheWilderness

Openly storking AussieBritLu