Transition to mixed feeding expressing

Breastfeeding does not always work out, this is a place to discuss your situation and feelings

Transition to mixed feeding expressing

Postby Caity87 » Fri May 10, 2013 5:19 am

After a very rocky journey so far, much agonizing and a few tears we have now decided to mix feed and express for my 3 week old daughter until she is 6 weeks old I will be expressing and she is getting bottles which are 3/4 EBM to 1/4 formula. This ratio will increase once my supply dwindles. I am just wondering if there are others who have done this and there advice on how to balance maintaining supply over the next 3 weeks without increasing supply and slowly weaning from expressing so as to not risk mastitis.

Postby Esther » Fri May 10, 2013 5:44 pm

Hugs. Sounds like you've had a rough start to parenting. May I suggest you call or email a breastfeeding counsellor? You could copy and paste your query to an eCounsellor or call the helpline now to have a counsellor help you work out a plan of action. We don't want you to get mastitis either and will happily give you info on weaning safely.

Good luck. Please feel free to let us know how you're going?
DD1 05, DS 08, BB 11, DD2 12
Storked by nat*4
Storked Ellie's Mum, foggylog, jessiemay, Ducks & nat*4

Postby fellare » Fri May 10, 2013 7:05 pm

second calling the councellors. Can you visit your local group as well for support?

many hugs, it sounds like a tough position to be in!
Boobymonster weaned at 3.5yrs.
Ms Firestorm born august 2015
Whatever you perceive to believe, dream.... be free.... (eMDee)

Postby Gwen's Mum » Fri May 10, 2013 9:08 pm

I'd also suggest calling a counsellor - there are a few variables involved in mixed feeding, and then transitioning to weaning, so it would be good to talk through the details with someone who can offer some suggestions that will work in your specific situation.

Big ((hugs)), too - it sounds like a tough decision, but one that you've come to after lots of soul searching. Look after yourself. !@~@~!group hug
Image Image

Welcome Daydreaming's DS! - 18 Sept '13
Welcome Feather's DS! - 27 Oct '13
Gwen's Mum

Postby Penguin » Sat May 11, 2013 6:06 am

Just wanted to add my support and for you to call or email a counsellor. Hugs.
DD1 May 2011
Super baby Dec 2013
DD2 Feb 2015 Storked by Parla.
Proud storker: michansam's DS3, katsbi's DD3 and Gwen's mum's DS

Postby JennyD » Sat May 11, 2013 10:27 am

Hugs, sounds like you've had really difficult start to breastfeeding.

I just want to add that it is possible to exclusively express (100% EBM) for your baby. It isn't easy, and a really good quality double pump is the key, but if you really can't breastfeed it may be an option for you.

Return to When breastfeeding does not work out