newbie needing help, I don't want to give up.

Breastfeeding does not always work out, this is a place to discuss your situation and feelings

newbie needing help, I don't want to give up.

Postby jessbailey » Sun May 05, 2013 10:50 pm

hi ladies,
my first bub is now 3 weeks old. we had some problems in the beginning with latching which resulted in my nipples getting blisters and oh so sore. lactation consult came out and showed us a few things to get her latching properly which we've sorted.
the problem I have is that she clicks her tongue every 2-3 suckles which breaks the latch and causes me such agony. midwife said I need to take Her off and put her back on to "train" her out of it but the amount time she does it she really wouldn't be getting anything.
I don't know what to do. hubby can't stand watching me in tears every feed and has said we should switch to formula. I'm dreading when she cries for a feed because I know how much pain I'm going to be in but I feellike a failure switching after such a short time :(:(
any help appreciated.
jessbailey

Postby pseudo » Sun May 05, 2013 11:07 pm

Congratulations on your new bub and welcome to the forum!

Here is a good link on clicking while breastfeeding

http://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/child/c ... n-nursing/

My suggestion would be to get back in touch with the lactation consultant for another assessment. I'm assuming she checked bub for tongue ties? Pain while feeding isn't normal so the lactation consultant can watch bub feed and identify any issues.

The first weeks can be really challenging but once you pass the first 6 weeks or so, it becomes so much easier and very enjoyable.

Keep us updated and I hope things get sorted out soon.

Remember too that the ABA have trained breastfeeding counsellors that you can call 24 hours a day on 1800 686 268.

Storked by the lovely Lu!
pseudo

First time mum to 2 week old. Struggling with BF

Postby Caity87 » Mon May 06, 2013 3:45 am

Currently I am struggling with the decision to continue BF. after an elec C section at 37 weeks (medical reasons on my behalf) we have seen a LC 3 times. We feed on demand but I am struggling with many things. Firstly to get positioning ok we need a feeding pillow. Due to poor latch we need nipple shield. Bub vomits with every feed and feeds take upwards of an hour and half to complete with her only actually spending about 20-40 mins feeding. And to add on top of things my left nipple is still trying to heal from persisting with BF in hospital and I also have vasospasm on that side so feedings are constantly painful. With all this combined bub never seems content after a feed continues to look for more especially after a large vomit. She is having wet nappies at each change (2-3hrs in cloth) and 3-5 yellow poos a day she has regained her birthweight plus a bit now 3.05kg born 2.95kg dropped down to 2.75kg. My other concern is that she is the majority of the day very fussy and does not seem content really even cuddling with mum or dad. However at night will have 2 decent stretches of sleep where she is down for about 3hrs. So I am very confused. Seriously considering a switch to formula especially in the early hrs of the night.
Caity87

Postby Rachwa » Mon May 06, 2013 5:25 am

Hi Jess, congratulations on the birth of your daughter!

Are you seeing a midwife for feeding help or a lactation consultant? I would highly recommend an international board certified lactation consultant (you may see IBCLC after their name) as they have undergone extensive training in breastfeeding issues...midwife maybe not!

Whereabouts in Perth are you? Another option is to go along to an ABA meeting and ask a breastfeeding counsellor to watch a feed and offer some suggestions. I'm over in Canberra at the moment, but the Cambridge group is meeting today, at 10:00am in Mt Hawthorn - at the Menzies Park Pavillion cnr Egina and Purslowe Sts, and also at the group leader's house in Floreat at 7:30pm. You do not need to be an ABA member to attend a few meetings to see if you like us! If you'd like to go along, look out for Catherine and Erin - I'm sure they'd love to sit down with you and help you if they can.

My son "clicked" a lot while feeding too. Turns out I was drowning him - I had too much milk and a forceful let down. He was a champion spewer too, and then would like to feed again afterwards too. Breastmilk is food and comfort rolled into one so he'd want to feed more to make himself feel better after a vomit! I found laying back a bit while feeding was helpful - I just reclined a bit in a comfy chair, and later I did block feeding (fed only one side per feed and the same side again if he wanted another feed within a certain period of time) but I wouldn't do that other than on professional advice as it can reduce the amount of milk your bub gets.

It doesn't sound to me like you're failing - it sounds like you're a great mum who is seeking help to do the best she can for her daughter. Those early days can be tough - we've all been there and I hope things start getting easier for you very soon :)
DS1 (T) Dec 2010, weaned Dec 2012
DS2 (H) July 2013, milk is in!
Rachwa

Postby ClOuD_NiNe » Mon May 06, 2013 8:32 am

Welcome Jess and congrats on your baby girl!

My DD is 6 weeks and clicks her tongue at the start of a feed, just after the letdown. I assume its flowing a bit too fast for her liking and by clicking her tongue she is breaking the seal and slowing down the flow. She stops once that initial letdown subsides.

Does your LO click her tongue throughout the whole feed? You may have a forceful letdown and there are ways to cope with this. I would also suggest getting someone to watch you feed again, either a IBCLC or ABA counsellor. You'll find great support at your local ABA group if you can get to one.

You may also find the clicking pain starts to subside soon now that her latch has improved. DD's latch was shocking for the first 2 or 3 weeks (small mouth, big nipples) and she caused me a lot of damage (check out my numerous posts in the Early Days section of the forum). Once her latch improved it took at least a couple of weeks for the pain to start to subside, and after 5 weeks feeds are now pain free and there is no pain when she clicks her tongue. It sounds like you're really keen to keep breastfeeding, hang in there, it may just take a little more time! You are doing a wonderful job for your bubba already :D
DS July 11 - bf for 10 months
Storked by the lovely mooki
~WildChild~ was my storker
ClOuD_NiNe

Postby Little Tiggermum » Mon May 06, 2013 8:56 am

Hi Jess and Caity
big !@~@~!group hug ... You're not failures... someone has just thrown you a curve ball. I would suggest a check up by an IBCLC you can find one here or here ... There are also some awesome IBCLC's in Perth here just click on private practitioners. Some even advise the ABA :-D

Caity: you sound like you're on the right track, those poos sound perfect and the weight gain indicates that it isn't your supply that is the problem. there is soemthing else going on. I would avoid the formula in the early hours of the morning as that is the time when your hormones are highest and any feeds at that time are the best way to maintain your supply. I know mums who exclusively express often get up before 3am while their baby sleeps to express - just to maintain their supply. What I would do is ring up a counsellor at that time just to talk through those hard feeds if you need to - that what we're here for. Also the Vasospasm ( a friend of mine had this and told me how she managed it)... heat, heat, heat... can you get a wheat bag or hot pack to put on your nipple for the times it's exposed to air? there also is some medication that can help reduce the symptoms.
Those long stretches of sleep also sound pretty good. the unsettledness... is she happier upright, or in a scrunched position, or even lying tummy down on someone's arm??

Jess: That clicking is a reaction... not a bad habit. what does your nipple look like when she comes off? if it look like a brand new lipstick - please get her checked out... that is an indication of a bad attachment - no matter what it looks like from the outside. babies with tongue tie can attach perfectly to onlookers and still be physically unable to attach properly inside the mouth due to tongue placement. The best indicator of supply is the wet nappies and the poos... and growth. I'd also suggest ring a counsellor during a feed... I can hear babies over the phone when I'm on and it'll be easier for you to describe what is happening while its happening.
DD#1 Boozo 15
DD#2 Puddins 12
DS Emperor Bulldog 9
DS2 Pumba 4
Can't get to a breastfeeding support group? http://mumsright.libsyn.com
Little Tiggermum
Site Admin

Postby jessbailey » Mon May 06, 2013 11:32 am

hi everyone Thankyou so much for your replies. I think I will get along to a meeting and also get a second opinion from a lactation consult. from what you've said I think she is clicking from my supply. I have a very dastardly flow and I already need to sit back when feeding otherwise I drown her. when she's not clicking it's painfree but when she clicks it's like razorblades.
I will continue on :)
jessbailey

Postby JMc » Mon May 06, 2013 11:43 am

So ds like a great idea to seek more help and previous posters have pointed you in the right direction already. I was wondering if it would make an difference if you attached her and then took her off after the initial let down (catch the flow in a cup or just in a towel if you didn't want to store it), then pop her back on once the fast flow has stopped? Might help a bit? And if you are feeling really sore maybe express a feed instead? You can give it to her in a cup etc rather than a bottle if you are worried about nipple confusion. Another option might be nipple shields? Be good to talk through all your options with a counsellor etc.

Sounds like you are doing a great job!
DD - November 2009 (Breastfed 19 months)
DS1 - August 2011 (Breastfed 2 years and 8 months)
DS2 - November 2014 (Breastfeeding happily)
JMc

Postby Caity87 » Mon May 06, 2013 3:23 pm

little tiggermum,
managed to get in to see my MCHN today and also spoke to the lactation consultant we had been seeing, they are both in agreeance that poor baby girl is either experiencing reflux or dairy intolerance, or both. so off to the GP tomorrow, I feel like I can keep persisting with BF her when I know that breast milk will be more beneficial if this is the case. It is agonising to see my poor newborn girl in such pain. Glad I didn't decide in the early hrs of the morning to give her formula as it could make things so much worse. So for now some more sleepless nights until we have some answers. Whatever I have to do to ensure my baby girl is getting the best for her.
Caity87

Postby Little Tiggermum » Mon May 06, 2013 3:27 pm

Hugs Caity... there have been a few posters who have gone dairyfree for their babies. hopefully they hop on and share their stories. well done on working out what could be the cause.
DD#1 Boozo 15
DD#2 Puddins 12
DS Emperor Bulldog 9
DS2 Pumba 4
Can't get to a breastfeeding support group? http://mumsright.libsyn.com
Little Tiggermum
Site Admin

Return to When breastfeeding does not work out