Is it the end :((

Breastfeeding does not always work out, this is a place to discuss your situation and feelings
catfroggy

Is it the end :((

Post by catfroggy » Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:48 pm

Hi, I have been feeling so sad these past few days. I think that our bf journey comes to an end. I have been mix feeding my 15 weeks DD3 since she is 6 weeks old as she wasn't putting on weight. But I have realised that slowly we have increased the amount of formula. And at the same time she pushes away the breast quicker and quicker.she used to feed at the breast for about 5 mins each side and then have a comp of formula. Now she stays at the breast for 1 or 2 mins, screams and screams until I give in and give her a bottle. It breaks my heart to see her so upset with big tears. I feel like I am selfish to want to keep on breaks feeding when she obviously doesn't want it. But in another hand I really want to give her the best for her.
I guess it's also very emotional for me to breast feed a bit longer this time. She is my last baby. I didn't breast feed my first one ( that was 20 years ago). And then I bfed DD2 but only for 3 months as we were doing IVF and needed to put all chances on our sides (DD2 and DD3 are IVF miracles :) )
Anyway I don't want to stop but don't know what to do. I have been pumping every evening and once or twice during the day. It's not easy to find time with a 3 1/5 month and a 16 month old. Should I consider maybe hiring a double pump? Wold that make a difference?
I have been taking fenugreek capsules and nursing tea. I can't take medication because of health issue. I tried lactation cockies but haven't seen a difference in my supply.
Please tell me it's not over just yet

Esther

Post by Esther » Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:01 pm

Hugs, not necessarily over yet at all!

There's lots you can do. But the 1st thing I'd suggest is pasting your post to one of our eCounsellors - the link for phone and email helpline is in the top right-hand corner of every forum screen. They'd be able to go through things with you in more detail and work out a plan.

You can hire a hospital-grade electric pump from your local ABA group. If you're not in touch with them already, you can find details of your local group on the main ABA website under 'Contact Us'. Or send me your postcode via private message and I can give you details of pump hire in your area.

Good luck. This forum makes an excellent cheer squad :-D
Esther
DD1 05, DS 08, BB 11, DD2 12
Storked by nat*4
Storked Ellie's Mum, foggylog, jessiemay, Ducks & nat*4

fellare

Post by fellare » Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:21 am

hugs!

sounds like a bit of nipple confusion going on :( it does not mean the end as there are lots of options.

Are you topping up with formula? can you try and top up as much as you can with ebm?

you can replace the bottle with a cup or a spoon. It's probably easiest to call the helpline to explain how it works.

You LO is probably getting a bit frustrated because a bottle flow is quicker and faster than a breast. They have milk instantly. You could make the bottle seem more like the breast by pinching the tip so bub has to wait a bit before she gets her milk

If you want, you can also look into a Supply nursing system. Google around! with one of those you can top up on the breast. so you still get the stimulation and you can control how much you top up a lot better.

It's a bit of work, but it can certainly be done! trust your breasts! if you are concerned about not making enough milk, know that your breast will have a full supply ready to go about 20min after a feed. You can top up on the breast and it is normal for a baby to feed every 20 min.
Boobymonster weaned at 3.5yrs.
Ms Firestorm born august 2015
Whatever you perceive to believe, dream.... be free.... (eMDee)

Little Tiggermum
Site Admin

Post by Little Tiggermum » Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:40 am

Also maybe investigate the Private Lactation consultant to help you build your supply up and get DD3 back to the breast.
You have options and this doesn't have to be the end if you don't want it to be. !@~@~!group hug
DD#1 Boozo 15
DD#2 Puddins 12
DS Emperor Bulldog 9
DS2 Pumba 4
Can't get to a breastfeeding support group? http://mumsright.libsyn.com

catfroggy

Post by catfroggy » Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:38 am

Thank you so much everyone for your replies. I guess they gave me this little push i needed to fight a little bit longer.
Esther I have just send a message to an eCounsellor.
I think I will contact my ABA group on Monday and find out when the next get together is. Is there a lactation counsellor always present during the meetings?
fellare I have been able to express maybe 60-80mls/day that's all. so I use that first and then I give formula. I use brandname teats No 2, they are meant to be for 1 month old(slow flow) but it is still much quicker than the breast tho!
Little Tiggermum I might have a look around for a private LC. I will see first with ABA group if I can improve my supply. I am really not ready to let go yet.
Yesterday evening I was thinking "that's it! We are done. I will switch to only FF from tomorrow morning!!"
And now I'm thinking, OK let's give it another go, let's try something else. So thank you ladies

Esther

Post by Esther » Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:53 am

Hi again, we try to have a breastfeeding counsellor present at meetings, but sometimes life gets in the way and it doesn't happen. However, if the counsellor is planning to be there and knows you're coming, they can try and set aside some time just to talk to you.

Good luck.
Esther
DD1 05, DS 08, BB 11, DD2 12
Storked by nat*4
Storked Ellie's Mum, foggylog, jessiemay, Ducks & nat*4

Monicat

Post by Monicat » Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:35 pm

Some great info here about getting the baby back to the breast. http://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/child/back-to-breast/

Good luck with getting her back on the breast, it will take time and perseverance but it can be done. The thing people aren't told about bottle feeding is how quickly a baby can develop a preference for it and start refusing the breast. A friend of mine went from fully BF to fully FF in a month after she started doing top ups :(

fellare

Post by fellare » Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:38 pm

(((hugs)))

good on you for persevering!

Can you take the bottle away and try cup feeding? Even if it is formula it will help stop the nipple confusion.

another thing you can do is have a nurse-holiday. Make sure you get the day to the two of you. spend all of it in bed, preferably naked. Get your dh to waiter on your every whim and feed as often as you can. Make sure you have plenty of water and food nearby, nappies within reach, so all you have to do is lie there, cuddle your baby skin to skin (that's the most important bit) and feed. Sleep when bub does, but do make sure your bed is safe for it*

* no pillows and doona, no other kids/pets in bed, if your bed is not against a wall, put a pillow on the floor just in case lo falls off, but this rarely happens, they tend to stay right there at the breast.

I've heard from a few women that this increased supply and got bub to accept the breast again.

HTH
Boobymonster weaned at 3.5yrs.
Ms Firestorm born august 2015
Whatever you perceive to believe, dream.... be free.... (eMDee)

Feebes

Post by Feebes » Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:41 pm

Lets hope that this all works out for you and bubs.

FSO
DD 02
DS 05
DD2 2010