Milk supply has not increased but I don't want to give up!

Breastfeeding does not always work out, this is a place to discuss your situation and feelings

Milk supply has not increased but I don't want to give up!

Postby MrsBeechy » Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:33 pm

My daughter is 11 weeks old tomorrow and my milk supply has not increased at all. I had to have a c-section so that's most likely the cause of all my problems with breastfeeding! My doctor has prescribed motillium and I have been using a hospital grade Ameda breast pump and pumping at every possible opportunity. I have been giving anything I can get out of my breasts to my daughter. I just wish that I could breastfeed her exclusively...I hate this bottle feeding you never really know what chemicals are in formula. I feel so inadequate and I feel like I'm really letting my daughter down. :cry:
Is there anything else I can do that might help to increase my breastmilk? or should I just give up?
<3 Victoria Rose <3
My whole world!

Postby Rachwa » Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:16 pm

Hello and welcome!

I'm so sorry you've had a difficult start. On the contrary I don't think you should feel inadequate at all, you sound like you're doing a great job caring for your daughter.

I'm not a trained counsellor, but generally the more feeds your daughter has/demands the more milk is produced. Is your daughter feeding often? Is she having lots of wet and dirty nappies?

I think it would be great to ring a counsellor (click the banner in the top right) or you can also send an email (you could copy and paste what you've written here plus any other details you want to add) to go through some strategies which may help you. There's no cost involved (although there may be call charges if you call from a mobile).

I'm trying in vain to get my toddler to bed but I didn't want you to not receive a response ASAP! I hope you are able to get some help soon.
DS1 (T) Dec 2010, weaned Dec 2012
DS2 (H) July 2013, milk is in!

Postby Gwen's Mum » Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:01 pm

Hi and welcome! :smt039

I'd definitely second the suggestion of calling or emailing a counsellor - they'll be able to talk through your specific situation, identify to what degree supply looks to be an issue for you and your bub, and give you some options for increasing your milk supply if required. And rest assured that milk production can definitely be increased! - frequent feeding, switch feeding, breast compressions, pumping and medication are just some of the options. :)

There's also some great information on the ABA website about signs that your baby is getting enough, and how to increase your supply if it is an issue - check out: ... mum/supply

It sounds like you're doing a wonderful job, and are really committed to doing the best for your little one. Let us know how you get on! :)
Image Image

Welcome Daydreaming's DS! - 18 Sept '13
Welcome Feather's DS! - 27 Oct '13
Gwen's Mum

Postby Lilypad » Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:50 am

There is no need to give up if you don't want to. There are ways to increase milk supply as mentioned above. Some people have luck with herbal supplements like fenugreek, although I don't think there's any evidence to support this, but it worked for me. As did; Loads of skin to skin contact, spending a day or two in bed with baby, feeding baby every time she so much as blinked. These things along with the prescription drugs from the Dr really helped.

You can also comp feed with formula. in which case your baby still gets the closeness and goodness of breastmilk - some is better than none. I successfully breast and formula fed for a year. I was in a similar situation, difficult labour, with separation after the birth. As a result my milk never came in. I was able to establish a small supply, but not enough on its own. Others here have used donor milk.

Do ring a counsellor, they will give you loads of proper advice. I rang many times in the early days, sometimes just for support and an understanding ear.

Try not to be hard on yourself. You're doing a wonderful job. I know it's heartbreaking when things don't go as you imagine.
IGT sufferer, former long term SNS user.
Two terrific girls!

Postby Ronale » Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:11 am

The others have given some great suggestions and links, what makes you think you are not producing enough milk?
Just having had a c-section is not enough by itself to cause insufficient milk supply - however it can sometimes mean that mum and bub had a fairly traumatic experience which can impact on milk supply, for a short time.
Giving the helpline a call, or emailing a counsellor is also a great suggestion. Counsellors are able to work through the problems with you and suggest some solutions that might be appropriate for your situation.
DS 06.10
DS2 01.13
DS3 07.15 Storked by the fantabulous moOKI

Postby foggylog » Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:52 pm

Is bub at the breast at all? or are you providing EBM only? if bub is at breast you could also pump and if needed, do ABM in a supply line for extra stimulation? but a chat with an LC, and women who have been in a similar situation would probably be helpful.

I think women who struggle to BF or provide EBM but are able to do so (for however long that happens to be) are the true success stories to 'BFing' especially if they can go onto feed longer term.

You are working so hard while emotionally and physically challenged from birth/newborn/hormones and it is so hard to meet the needs of bub without the extra challenges. You are a strong woman to have got this far with these issues. only you and your family can decide what is best for your situation. if you want to give bub whatever EBM you get or whatever BF's bub will take for as long as your both willing that's great, even if ABM is required to feed the baby.

an LC and the ABA counsellors would be great places to go for extra help and support to help you make the best decisions for you
I was storked by the lovely ESTHER :)
E = DD may 09 BF til 15.5mths
O = DS Dec 10, BFing

Postby tinkerbell_858 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:55 pm

Hi I am only expressing my milk from birth and I am still doing it now and my baby is 6 months old today......I was told to express every 3 hours for 20 minutes and to express at least 6 times a day hope this helps u.

Return to When breastfeeding does not work out