When to decide its time

Breastfeeding does not always work out, this is a place to discuss your situation and feelings
Mummyplus4

When to decide its time

Post by Mummyplus4 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:15 am

For the last 10 days we have had a dozen breast feeds, my son is 5 months old and iam assuming its a nipple confusion problem as he was feeding REALLY well until we introduced bottles because of low weight gain but now I can't even get him to feed from the breast so I've just given him formula bottles, my question is when is it time to decide that it's just not going to happen, his just not going to breasteed again?

I'm pretty gutted and he is my first baby I have breastfed and he is also my last baby so I'm finding it really hard to let go.. :cry: :cry:
First time breastfeeding

ImageImage

Mummy to 4

Loli&Lulu

Post by Loli&Lulu » Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:08 am

I suggest calling the helpline for advice on breast refusal. I found lots of skin to skin time and low pressure offering helped a lot. 5 months is a distractable age so feeding in a quiet dark place can help. I sympathize because my daughter went through multiple bouts of breast refusal - 8 days of total refusal when she was unwell at one point, though she was older. There are lots of good links in the coping with breast refusal section.

Only you can decide how long you want to persist for but there are things you can try that might help.

Good luck! And big hugs to you, it's hard this mummy gig no matter how many times you've done it.
DD#1 May 2010 - BF to 19 months
DD#2 August 2012 - super cute cheeky booby toddler - storked by AndyPandy. :-)
Proudly co-storked AndyPandy's DS#2.

fellare

Post by fellare » Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:28 pm

(((hugs))) that must be so hard.

Could it be that your supply dropped a bit and bub is finding it hard to get flow going? You could try the SNS system, as then you are still feeding from the breast, but supplementing through the line.

We had nipple confusion at 3 months, when I went back to work, mostly painful, not so much flow and feeding S from a cup sorted it. We also pace feeding by only giving him 30ml at a time. We give him expressed breastmilk, so don't want to waste anything.

Could you express to get the supply up again and then feed him EBM?

I'm sure others will have more advise.
Boobymonster weaned at 3.5yrs.
Ms Firestorm born august 2015
Whatever you perceive to believe, dream.... be free.... (eMDee)

Sati

Post by Sati » Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:01 pm

The best advice I have ever heard regarding breast refusal is to get into bed with your babe for a whole day - shirt off, loads of skin to skin. Set yoursef up with food and drinks and entertainment (TV, ipad etc.). Get someone else to look after your other children, and boob up a storm! Keep offering, over and over and over. Best of luck xo
Mumma to a homebirthed boob-lover, July 2010.

wilfred

Post by wilfred » Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:52 am

Call the helpline they are AMAZING!!!!

If you aren't ready to give up then don't, try, try and try again.

Good luck.
Me: 38
DH: 38
DS1: 11.5 bf for 6 weeks
DD1: 8.5 bf for 13 weeks
DS2: 6.5 bf for 26 months
DD2: 4 bf for 3 yrs and 2 weeks

Penguin

Post by Penguin » Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:03 pm

I just wanted to offer my support too. Call or email the counsellors, they are trained and will be able to offer you great advice for your situation. Here's the link: https://www.breastfeeding.asn.au/services/counselling
DD1 May 2011
Super baby Dec 2013
DD2 Feb 2015 Storked by Parla.
Proud storker: michansam's DS3, katsbi's DD3 and Gwen's mum's DS