Mother or martyr?

Breastfeeding does not always work out, this is a place to discuss your situation and feelings
mothergoose

Post by mothergoose » Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:32 pm

I don't know if I'm more overjoyed or fuming after reading everyone's kind advice. I was only given paracetomol and ibuprophen in hospital!! The nurse or midwife squeezed an icy washer on my neck and down my back to keep me conscious so I could get to the loo on the day I had the surgery. On the upside I was out after two nights.

The dental work is not a priority, just the infection as its at risk of getting worse. It's already taken up residence elsewhere in my face. Baby will not take bottles from anyone in any way, shape, form so god help me if I do have to switch.

Bless you all *scuttles off to ring meds guru Rodney* - will keep you updated. What a relief!!!

mooki
Site Admin

Post by mooki » Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:38 pm

mothergoose wrote:I don't know if I'm more overjoyed or fuming after reading everyone's kind advice. I was only given paracetomol and ibuprophen in hospital!!
Surely not after a c/s? :shock:

I was offered a choice of 2 pain relief options. I cant even remember what they were, One was stronger than the other and had higher risks, I tried it once, didnt lessen the pain any more than the other option so went for the 'weaker' option.

mothergoose

Post by mothergoose » Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:48 pm

True story, mooki. A couple of other Caesar mums I've spoken to about it recoiled in horror too but they didn't breastfeed so we all presumed that was why!

Baby Blue Eyes

Post by Baby Blue Eyes » Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:53 pm

mothergoose wrote: I was only given paracetomol and ibuprophen in hospital!!
you take paractomol and ibuprophen for a headache not MAJOR surgery, that is nuts. Hope you get all the help you need and remember that breastfeeding is a relationship with 2 people in it and both need to be happy. hugs
DS1 - b/f 4 yrs
DS2 - b/f 3yrs 11mths
DS3 - B/F 4yrs 10 mths

mothergoose

Post by mothergoose » Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:01 pm

Ladies, you are truly amazing. Mothersafe says yes yes yes!! I can take the antibiotic and antibacterial as they are low dose over a long time, not high dose over a short time. So happy right now, thank you all so very much!! Particularly on behalf of little possum, she so loves her boobies.

s squirrel

Post by s squirrel » Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:09 pm

So glad you are getting some answers :-D
If you can't fly, then run,
if you can't run, then walk,
if you can't walk, then crawl,
but whatever you do you have to keep moving
forward.... – MLK

ames

Post by ames » Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:15 pm

Great news!
DD1 2005, DS 2007, DD2 2009, DD3 2011
Storked Ezekielsmummy's angel ~ Matthew Obadiah. Now Elisha Samuel has arrived!

Canola

Post by Canola » Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:30 pm

You poor love. I feel teary for everything youve been through and your joy is obvious that it is all not as bad as it seems. Big hugs, I hope everything keeps improving. Xx
Natural conception - Due 4 February 2016
Natural Conception - Loss at 4 weeks Mar 2015
Natural conception - DD May 2012
Natural conception - Loss at 12 weeks May 2011
IVF- DS August 09

AbbeyCat
Trainee

Post by AbbeyCat » Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:16 pm

So very happy to hear you've got such positive news for you and your little one.

The misinformation out there can be awful, and impact people so very much, as it has you. :cry:

Really glad you found the forum. :-D A lovely bunch of ladies (and if we're lucky some gents!) with great advice, and cyber hugs if needed.

breastfeedingisnormal
Counsellor

Post by breastfeedingisnormal » Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:22 pm

mothergoose wrote: I was only given paracetomol and ibuprophen in hospital!! The nurse or midwife squeezed an icy washer on my neck and down my back to keep me conscious so I could get to the loo on the day I had the surgery. On the upside I was out after two nights.
That's barbaric! I do hope you consider writing a letter of complaint and sending it to both the hospital's complaints department and the Health Care Complaints Commission (HCCC) so that other mothers are spared this experience. Perhaps you could also donate a copy of Tom Hales' Medications in Mothers Milk to the postnatal ward you were on(via the Nursing Unit Manager). It's only about $80 and there should be a copy on every maternity ward. And it'd be a really positive (if slightly passive-aggressive) way of making your point.
Sorry you've had such a shite time! It's so frustrating to hear that such ignorance and misinformation is still causing mothers such misery.
:(
Edited to Add: You must have ovaries of steel to have persevered for 20 weeks like this!!
Breastfeeding Counsellor
Cert IV BE (Community & Counselling)
Cert IV TAA
PhD
Mum 2 J18 N15 E13

ClOuD_NiNe

Post by ClOuD_NiNe » Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:41 pm

That's wonderful news about the medication! :-D
DS July 11 - bf for 10 months
Storked by the lovely mooki
~WildChild~ was my storker

Penguin

Post by Penguin » Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:55 pm

I was going to post with my hugs and support, and to make another suggestion if you felt that it was best to stop breastfeeding, althought now it looks like it's not needed.

I faced a similar (but much less severe) issue about mothers health and meds vs breastfeeding recently, and it was gutwrenching (and my little girl is over a year old) so I can't imagine how hard it must be for you and your little one.

My suggestion was going to be that if you did decide that the best decision is to stop bfing, then you might like to look into using donor milk as well as/instead of formula, if you think that that might suit your family better. (Although it sounds like this might not be needed now?)

Good luck, and please hang around on the forum! We'd love to have you stay x
DD1 May 2011
Super baby Dec 2013
DD2 Feb 2015 Storked by Parla.
Proud storker: michansam's DS3, katsbi's DD3 and Gwen's mum's DS

foggylog

Post by foggylog » Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:37 pm

HUGS

We routinely give paracetamol/Ibuprofen as the standard regular pain meds, but there are always other meds to give if have breakthrough pain. no different if BFing or not.

I would defineatly be complaining about how much pain you were in and not being given extra meds, especially if you let them know you had pain. I would also ask if the hospy has the book BiN mentioned.

hope you can get everything else sorted out soon, and you feel better.
I was storked by the lovely ESTHER :)
E = DD may 09 BF til 15.5mths
O = DS Dec 10, BFing

mothergoose

Post by mothergoose » Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:16 am

Thank you all for your wonderful support. It's been less than 24 hours but I feel like a new woman already - can't be sure whether that's more medical or mental. What a horrible prospect that was! I would love to stick around if you will have me, what a great place this is. I hope you won't see me in this section again, though!

Several things could certainly have been better in hospital and isn't that always the way. Realistically, it was only one day where the pain was a melt you through the floor type of searing. I've never had strong drugs so can't say with any certainty whether it would have made a significant difference. From what I observed, I was in far less pain and had far greater mobility at every point in comparison to the other Caesar mums and I presume that's thanks to the way I was cared for.

I though about it a lot yesterday and besides having a different OB, I remember noting on my paperwork that I'd appreciate any support I could be given to achieve the best mobility, quickest recovery and discharge. That's exactly what I was given. Perhaps this had more to do with it than breastfeeding. No catheter or morphine was an amazing motivator! I will also add that I wasn't vocal about it and just got on with it. I wasn't rolling around screeching and ignored and didn't explain myself very well if this is what came across. In hindsight, the care I received was what was best for me and I'm grateful for that.

I am also grateful for the support and practical advice given here. Just amazing! :)

wilfred

Post by wilfred » Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:55 am

Great news!

Always good to hear that another mum can continue her bf journey.
Me: 38
DH: 38
DS1: 11.5 bf for 6 weeks
DD1: 8.5 bf for 13 weeks
DS2: 6.5 bf for 26 months
DD2: 4 bf for 3 yrs and 2 weeks