thinking i should bottle feed and it breaks my heart

Breastfeeding does not always work out, this is a place to discuss your situation and feelings
lj80

Post by lj80 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:10 pm

well my baby has lost again and im at my wits ends its time to comp feed i have the formula it breaks my heart but im exhusted and honestly couldnt have had her any more to the best in the past four days the big questions for me is do i put in the effort to try and build my supply or let it dwindle and let her be fully bottle feed its so hard and im so exhusted

MamaMagoO?

Post by MamaMagoO? » Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:34 pm

Hugs. I'm sorry you've reached this point and you are having a hard time dealing with it. If you really feel comp feeding is the right thing to do then it probably is I do believe in trusting your instincts... but its hard to know what your instinct is saying sometimes when you are so exhausted.

What ever you decided long-term about breastfeeding just know that any amount of breast milk is good for your baby and the fact that you have fed her for the first 2 weeks of her life is wonderful. You have given her the best start. Because it sounds like continuing to breastfeed means a lot to you I would really encourage you not to give up. Mixed feeding is an option and there are ways to complement your breast milk that don't involved bottle feeding... I think someone may have mention SNS previously in this thread.

Best of luck what ever you decide and I still hope you can get along to your local group at some point too.
Little Magoo 07/08. Breastfed for 3yrs3mths.
Miss Magoo 10/11. Breastfed for 4yrs3mths.

lj80

Post by lj80 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:07 pm

thanks mamamagoo i really wanted to come thursday but have dr appointment i want a script for medication
im trying to find out where to get a supply line from as dd wont take a bottle and i must say i feel a total mess as the mchn described my child as starving and i couldnt get her to take much of the bottle last feed

Esther

Post by Esther » Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:28 pm

Hugs. It sounds like you have some plans in place, but need some more support than you are getting from your MCHN. You can get a supply line from Mothers Direct:

http://www.mothersdirect.com.au/catalog ... ing-system

You're in Melbourne aren't you (sorry, preggo brain strikes again)? I think the Breastfeeding Drop in Centre in Dandenong could also have some, and would also be able to help you with set up

http://www.abavic.asn.au/breastfeeding_centre.htm

Tomorrow's drop-in day too - you don't have to book a time, just drop in when it suits you :wink:

I hope you are able to get what you need in the next few days and start to feel more confident about things. In the end, the rule is always feed the baby, while you sort out supply issues. Whatever happens, you are always welcome at your ABA group too :D

Good luck.
Esther
DD1 05, DS 08, BB 11, DD2 12
Storked by nat*4
Storked Ellie's Mum, foggylog, jessiemay, Ducks & nat*4

JMc

Post by JMc » Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:44 pm

Hugs. Could you try using a dropper, syringe or small cup if she won't take the bottle? Hope things pick up soon.
DD - November 2009 (Breastfed 19 months)
DS1 - August 2011 (Breastfed 2 years and 8 months)
DS2 - November 2014 (Breastfeeding happily)

TeamEdward

Post by TeamEdward » Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:56 pm

Haven't got much new to add other than well done for getting this far. Local group and spending time on here really helped me get through first few months. Good luck and know you're not alone..
Here is Edward Bear, coming downstairs now, bump, bump, bump, on the back of his head.

lj80

Post by lj80 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:29 am

i feel so alone my husband is so breast feeding but im absolutly exhusted that i hardly feel like i can breath im not even sure is i like my baby very much i feel like ive let my family down once again had to hve an emergency c-section and now i cant even feed my child what kind of mother am i??????????????

Otty

Post by Otty » Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:06 am

!@!@ You're a great mum lj80. You're doing the best you can for your family and your DD. Sometimes BFing just doesn't work out... In your case it's not for lack of trying. Like Esther says first and foremost always feed the baby. See if you can keep giving her a few BFs as well. That will maintain some supply and be a comfort to you and your DD. Maybe down the track when she is a little older and has a stronger suck you could increase the number of BFs. Lots of hugs. xxx
ImageImage

Welcome baby Alice!

Esther

Post by Esther » Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:49 am

^^^ Totally agree. Being a great mum is more than just about how you feed your baby. I'm not saying these things can't make you feel like crap if they're not working well, but you can be a great mum and still feed your child any which way works for you.

You sound really exhausted. Would you consider calling one of the Panda counsellors? Like ABA counsellors? They're mums who have experience of the hard side of parenting and are there to talk to you. Just a thought. It sounds like you're in a really tough place, and yr husband's support is pure gold, but maybe a new insight would help?

Hugs and pls take care. We're here for you as well.
Esther
DD1 05, DS 08, BB 11, DD2 12
Storked by nat*4
Storked Ellie's Mum, foggylog, jessiemay, Ducks & nat*4

lj80

Post by lj80 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:56 am

hello all that have given me so many encouranging words life is feeling abit calmer for the past two days ive been comp feeding my baby and try to express after feeds when i have the time sometimes bubs takes 40ml or formula after times 100ml its not what i had dreamed of but neither is having a hungery baby. i feed her ever 2 to 3 hrs durning the day waking her at times and at night im waiting for her to wake.
ive seen the dr and got a sript for medication im not sure if it will help increase my supple but want to give it a shot.
now bubs has a full tummy she is sleeping more and im getting more rest so not feeling insane which was were i was headed. thanks to everyone who has left words of encoragment im not sure what will happen with the bf if i will manage to increase my supply or if ill need to keep comp feeding or prehaps in the end i will need to feed dd totaly with a bottle but i feel pleased that my baby has a full tummy
im wondering if other have taken medication and if it worked for them?

Karleen

Post by Karleen » Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:16 am

Sounds like you're working out what works for you. Re: your supply, have you had your thyroid function levels tested recently? If you haven't it might be worth getting tested again. Your doctor might like to know that there is a link between hypothyroid and difficulties with milk production and that having hormone levels at the high end of normal is desirable in terms of milk production.
Karleen

Otty

Post by Otty » Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:28 am

Hi lj80, glad to hear things are going better for you! :D I have taken medication for supply issues and it works really well for me. Sometimes it can take up to a month for the full effect. Have a look at Dr Jack Newman's website. http://www.breastfeedinginc.ca/content. ... me=doc-DGS It has some very helpful information re increasing milk supply and medication.
All the best! :D
ImageImage

Welcome baby Alice!

MamaMagoO?

Post by MamaMagoO? » Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:51 am

I'm really glad to here you're feeling so much better.
Little Magoo 07/08. Breastfed for 3yrs3mths.
Miss Magoo 10/11. Breastfed for 4yrs3mths.

Karleen

Post by Karleen » Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:56 am

Just checking the auto moderation... that medication is medication to increase supply (Domperidonee)/medication and not medication (Maxalon)
Karleen

Karleen

Post by Karleen » Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:57 am

OK so some more misspelling....
Just checking that the medication is Domperidonee (Motillium) and not Metoclopramidee (Maxalon)