thinking i should bottle feed and it breaks my heart

Breastfeeding does not always work out, this is a place to discuss your situation and feelings
lj80

Post by lj80 » Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:03 am

sorry for all my questions i thought id learnt all i needed to know about bf but clearly bi hadnt
dd feed almost none stop from aboy 6am to 10:30am she would feed fall asleep on the boob when id try to put her down she would wake and cry im worried shes not getting enough so id offer her the boob again she wasnt always sucking well but kept her there till finally she feel asleep and has stayed that way for the past 1 1/2hr
the maternal health nurse told me not to let her go longer than 3hrs between feeds but when do i start timing that from? should i wake her soon ti feed her again?

Esther

Post by Esther » Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:51 am

Usually I'd say time it from the last feed, but it sounds like your DD has just had a big cluster feeding session and might (she says cautiously) have her long sleep for the day.

How have her nappies been? That's usually a good sign as to what is going on.

And don't worry about asking questions - there's always lots and I'm glad you feel you can ask here. Have you seen our e-booklet Breastfeeding Confidence? It's got a answers for many questions.

http://www.printgraphics.net.au/myfiles ... index.html
Esther
DD1 05, DS 08, BB 11, DD2 12
Storked by nat*4
Storked Ellie's Mum, foggylog, jessiemay, Ducks & nat*4

JMc

Post by JMc » Sat Mar 17, 2012 11:53 am

It is so easy to doubt your supply. It would be nice if breasts had an inbuilt measuring cup or something! My DS gained weight really well from the start, so I knew I didn't have supply issues. But he still loved to suck and stay on the breast to sleep (still does! It's where he is right now!) Could your DD be comfort sucking rather than always hungry? Wanting to be close to you (in your arms and even attached) sounds like very normal newborn behaviour. Could you maybe try wearing her? Great for skin to skin contact to help boost supply and she might be happy to sleep but you'd have your hands free!
DD - November 2009 (Breastfed 19 months)
DS1 - August 2011 (Breastfed 2 years and 8 months)
DS2 - November 2014 (Breastfeeding happily)

nat*4

Post by nat*4 » Sat Mar 17, 2012 12:42 pm

My third baby used to do that love from birth to 6ish weeks from memory GE would for 4hrs on and off in the morning sleep for a bit have a couple of little feeds in the arvo then feed from 5-9:30ish pm then sleep for a bit then have little feeds till morning when he'd cluster again..

Sunny fed through all his wind if he was uncomfy he just fed.. Don't doubt your supply, babies don't have a watch they don't know they're only supposed to feed every 3hrs they just follow their instinct, 45gms is the difference between a big poo or not nothing to worry about ;)

You're doing great, stay away from HP's for a bit, stop worrying and follow babies lead. :)

Big hugs xxxxxxxxxxxxx
DS1 2003, DS2 2008, DS3 2010 and some little angel babies <3<3
Hoping to add to my little brood :):)

nat*4

Post by nat*4 » Sat Mar 17, 2012 12:43 pm

Oops HE would feed for 4hrs.....
DS1 2003, DS2 2008, DS3 2010 and some little angel babies <3<3
Hoping to add to my little brood :):)

lj80

Post by lj80 » Sat Mar 17, 2012 1:13 pm

thank thank thank you for everyones replys it really dose help me not feel s alone in this
my dd is having 9 to 11 wet or dirty nappies a day her color is good her eys bright but she dosent have alot of content awake time and is rotting almost everytime i hold i have got a hugabub and it probly works at settling her about half the time
when she is is on the breast im sure often she is only there for comfort as she is not always working hard
i worry that she is really hungry and i should top her up with formula but when i did that with my son it never helped me get ontop of my supply issues
i hope im doing the right thing by my child

Penguin

Post by Penguin » Sat Mar 17, 2012 3:06 pm

lj80 wrote:
i hope im doing the right thing by my child

You certainly are. What you have described sounds like normal newborn behaviour to me.

It will get less time intensive, I promise. As they get older, breastfeeding means you can be super lazy. Feeding on the go means whipping out a boob, not prepacking formula and bottles and water, heating up, washing bottles at home etc. Of course BFing isn't all easy (as you know) but it gets better, I promise.

Another thing to remember is that when you are sitting down to feed for long portions of the day, it's giving YOU a chance to recover from pregnancy and childbirth, too.

You are doing an amazing job.

ETA it's great that she like the HAB. My DD lived in it for most of the first few months and still likes to hang out in the pouch for a cuddle. Having her close to you will probably help her settle and help your supply, too.
DD1 May 2011
Super baby Dec 2013
DD2 Feb 2015 Storked by Parla.
Proud storker: michansam's DS3, katsbi's DD3 and Gwen's mum's DS

fellare

Post by fellare » Sat Mar 17, 2012 4:00 pm

I'm with Penguin, take this time to relax and recover from the birth, you really need it.
It does sound like she might be comfort sucking, which is totally normal.

Have you got someone to help you out during the day, so you can just focus on feeding? I know that's all I did for the first week, hubs just waited on my every whim, got me drinks, held the glass for me so I could drink from a straw and not let DS go as he was feeding or sleeping. He'd get me food in bite size portions so that was easy too. I did nothing but feed and cuddle. I think for the first few weeks or month, that is completely normal. Bonding and resting time are so important and feeding is the easiest way to get both.
Boobymonster weaned at 3.5yrs.
Ms Firestorm born august 2015
Whatever you perceive to believe, dream.... be free.... (eMDee)

MamaMagoO?

Post by MamaMagoO? » Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:36 pm

I also agree that it sounds like pretty normal new born behaviour and weight it not the only indicator of supply. She may have just been bigger than she was meant to be at birth.

Could I also suggest getting in touch with a counselor from your local group and, if you feel up to it, maybe go along to a meeting. The Blackburn/Mitcham group is wonderful.
Little Magoo 07/08. Breastfed for 3yrs3mths.
Miss Magoo 10/11. Breastfed for 4yrs3mths.

Esther

Post by Esther » Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:40 pm

MamaMagoo wrote: The Blackburn/Mitcham group is wonderful.
I've heard very good things about it all the way up here in QLD :wink:
Esther
DD1 05, DS 08, BB 11, DD2 12
Storked by nat*4
Storked Ellie's Mum, foggylog, jessiemay, Ducks & nat*4

lj80

Post by lj80 » Sat Mar 17, 2012 6:47 pm

im in blackburn and have been meaning to get in touch with the group hopfully i can get out and met sum other mums
i have feed and feed all day dh has given me a couple of breaks im really greaful for everyones words of support i feel like i can keep going

Andrew's Mum
Site Admin

Post by Andrew's Mum » Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:18 pm

Thqt's great news Lj!
Mummys breast make milk
Special milk for me

MamaMagoO?

Post by MamaMagoO? » Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:52 am

I noticed your location said Blackburn :wink: . I'm not actually in that group but I know some lovely ladies who are including one who is on the Forum. I have let her know you are here and hopefully she will send you some info about her group soon.

Really glad to hear you feel like you can keep going. Trust your instinct. YOu are doing the best thing for your baby.
Little Magoo 07/08. Breastfed for 3yrs3mths.
Miss Magoo 10/11. Breastfed for 4yrs3mths.

Serendipity

Post by Serendipity » Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:41 am

Hi LJ :D

I'm with the Blackburn/Mitcham group (MamaMagoo let me know about your thread) - it sounds like you've been having a tough time :-)
Good on you for hopping on the forum and asking questions, I know it's been of great comfort to me over the years!

We've actually got a catch-up planned for Thursday this week, if you would like to come along? Lots of supportive Mums, a different set of four walls :lol: I have sent you a PM with more details. Hopefully see you there :-)

:D E.

ps.
Esther wrote:
MamaMagoo wrote: The Blackburn/Mitcham group is wonderful.
I've heard very good things about it all the way up here in QLD :wink:
Awwh, shucks!
Genevieve Nisha - Feb 09
Rohan Teja Hira - Sept 11
Kiran John (stillborn) & Jocelyn Tara Alison - May 14

Ari's Mum

Post by Ari's Mum » Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:45 am

Hugs you are doing an awesome job! In my experience wearing my baby was a great solution, I found my baby fed less (for comfort) and increased my supply (skin to skin contact research has shown to increase supply) also when my first had reflux it was the only way I could get some rest, with him in the wrap and me lying back in the recliner.

When I had my second baby, I put him in the wrap all the time so I could attend to my toddler. I had no time for rocking to sleep and mucking around with trying to put him down to sleep etc..
God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change; courage to change the things I can; and wisdom to know the difference.

Storked Norrie and proudly storked by Terramommy...