Supply has dried up

Breastfeeding does not always work out, this is a place to discuss your situation and feelings
Awkward Turtle

Supply has dried up

Post by Awkward Turtle » Mon Oct 31, 2011 5:15 pm

For the last 4 days or so, I have had a terrible head cold. I'm very congested and the usual nasal sprays etc aren't doing a lot to relieve my discomfort. I have found that since I've been unwell, my supply has dried right up and I'm having to formula feed my baby. It is normal for this to happen and will my supply be okay once I'm well again?

nobunnies
Site Admin

Post by nobunnies » Mon Oct 31, 2011 5:19 pm

I'm not sure what you're using, but many nasal sprays work by drying up the secretions that your body produces... including breast milk! so you may find that it is the treatment rather than the illness that has been causing your drop in supply.
Having said that, it is quite common for mothers to notice a slight drop in their supply when they are unwell; the easiest and quickest way to restore it is generally to feed feed feed as often as bubs will let them.

I hope that you feel better soon!
Jen

Mum to Miss Froggie (March '07) and Mr B (June '09)

pseudo

Post by pseudo » Mon Oct 31, 2011 5:20 pm

Sorry to hear that you have been unwell. Depending on what is in the nasal spray, it may have been drying up more than your nasal mucous, as they can sometimes also have a negative affect on supply. Do you know if the spray you are using contains pseudoephedrine?

Storked by the lovely Lu!

Awkward Turtle

Post by Awkward Turtle » Mon Oct 31, 2011 5:27 pm

:shock: brand name removed - mod Pseudoephedrin espray :cry: How long should I give it to leave my system? Should my supply start again once it's gone?

pseudo

Post by pseudo » Mon Oct 31, 2011 5:35 pm

Don't worry. Stop using the spray and you will be able to get your supply back up within a few days. Just feed your baby at every possible chance. 2 hourly, maybe more often, if possible. Lots of skin to skin contact would be great, too.

I hope you are feeling better soon.

Storked by the lovely Lu!

mooki
Site Admin

Post by mooki » Mon Oct 31, 2011 5:51 pm

feed feed feed! Also those great antibodies will go thorugh to bubs :wink:

Hope youre feeling better soon :smt058

Little Tiggermum
Site Admin

Post by Little Tiggermum » Mon Oct 31, 2011 6:08 pm

if you have *some* supply then you can build it back up. is there any information on the pack about how long it lasts? you can keep trying to feed even thought the medication is still in your system... but if bub ever refuses, just bottle feed at a naked breast so the feed association is still there.
DD#1 Boozo 15
DD#2 Puddins 12
DS Emperor Bulldog 9
DS2 Pumba 4
Can't get to a breastfeeding support group? http://mumsright.libsyn.com