combining breast and formula

Breastfeeding does not always work out, this is a place to discuss your situation and feelings

Postby breastfeedingisnormal » Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:17 am

Otty wrote:I'm reluctant to give him cows milk products because he has eczema

Hi Otty,
Babies are born to make their mothers worry, aren't they? You've had some great info from PP. Just wanted to make you aware that infant formula is a cow's milk product (soy formula is not recommended for babies that don't have specific metabolic issues because it has really high levels of plant oestrogens that are not good for human babies). If you want to use formula but avoid cows milk, you might find that you need a prescription for an elemental formula from your doctor. That said, it smells and tastes even worse than normal formula so babies older than about 4 months often won't take it.
The other thing I would say is that a lot of the 'low supply' that I see when I counsel mothers is actually low intake (not feeding often enough). Most of us expect babies to feed about every 4th hour or less by the time they're 6 months old but what the research tells us is that most babies need to breastfeed 10 or more times in 24 hours up to the age of six months and then to taper of slowly over the nest 18 months or so as their tummies get big enough to hold sufficient quantities of solids to meet their nutritional needs (because solid pack less nutritional punch ml for ml than human milk does).
hth
Breastfeeding Counsellor
Cert IV BE (Community & Counselling)
Cert IV TAA
PhD
Mum 2 J18 N15 E13
breastfeedingisnormal
Counsellor

Previous

Return to When breastfeeding does not work out