My son is tongue tied and breastfeeding is too painful!

Breastfeeding does not always work out, this is a place to discuss your situation and feelings

My son is tongue tied and breastfeeding is too painful!

Postby Mrs.Mos » Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:21 pm

I don't know what to do.......
I was tongue tied as a baby and my son is also tongue tied. He can latch on but it hurts. It feels like he is pinching me when he is sucking and sometimes he slips on and off. The worst thing is when he pulls off while he is sucking. He is three months old and one week and I'm at the point where I want to give up and just give him formula. My husband is against formula and wants me to keep trying because originally the plan was to breastfeed my baby till he was 12 months old. I feel guilty and like I'm a bad mum but I don't know what to do. I honestly didn't think it would hurt so much. I also seem to have shooting pains in my breasts all the time now. I love my baby and I just want to do what is best for him. Any ideas of what I could do? :smt022
Mrs.Mos

Postby Little Tiggermum » Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:39 pm

what do your doctor and maternal health nurse suggest??
most people are for cutting the tongue tie early which seems to work for mums in regards to breastfeeding... in fact we have a few counsellors who have had bubs with tongue ties and had them snipped. The procedure is called a frenulotomy (sp??) and is fairly simple if the tongue tie is straight forward.
basically the tongue tie is not letting bub get enough of your breast in his mouth which means that he has to suck harder ( which hurts because your breast is being pulled and pinched and everything you have mentioned) and also means he gets tired more easily.
Talk to your health professional about this, and if they don't understand then by all means ring around until you can find someone who does. it is a big problem that is easily fixed :)
DD#1 Boozo 15
DD#2 Puddins 12
DS Emperor Bulldog 9
DS2 Pumba 4
Can't get to a breastfeeding support group? http://mumsright.libsyn.com
Little Tiggermum
Site Admin

Postby Mummy woo! » Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:21 pm

What LTM said.

I only wanted to add good on you for persisting for 3 months. Whatever you decide to do, that is a great effort and your LO is off to a wonderful start.
It's OK Pluto, I'm not a planet either
Mummy woo!
Site Admin

Postby Mamaof3 » Sat Jul 16, 2011 8:15 am

Little Tiggermum gave you great advice. I just wanted to add that the best thing you can do by your baby is give him a happy mum. Breastfeeding maybe important but it is not so important that you should be miserably. There is a reason that in a plane crash they tell you too put your oxygen mask on first before helping anyone else. You are doing an awesome job mama and I really hope that something can be sorted out so you can continue on your breastfeeding journey if that is what you want. Good Luck :)
Mamaof3

Return to When breastfeeding does not work out