Natural progesterone in pregnancy to increase glandular tiss

Breastfeeding does not always work out, this is a place to discuss your situation and feelings
amyndunc

Natural progesterone in pregnancy to increase glandular tiss

Post by amyndunc » Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:48 am

I am reading Making More Milk and it talks about the possibility of taking natural progesterone during pregnancy to increase glandular tissue for those mums whose bodies don't do this well.

Does anyone know any more about this or tried it?

would love to hear of any experiences and medical profession views on this?

Thanks,
Amy
Mum to DD 5 January 2007 and DS 11 June 2009

Feather

Post by Feather » Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:01 pm

I would love to hear about this too from anyone with knowledge or experience...??

I've been wanting to post this but felt a bit silly for some reason.

With DD1 I emailed Jack Newman about it. He referred to an endocrinologist who didn't think it would work (from memory, it's foggy).

Anyone know?

Would love if there were a way to increase breast tissue and increase my chances of bf'ing exclusively.
Breastfeeding with IGT, that's me!
DD1 - Nov08
DD2 - Oct10
DS - Oct13

Feather

Post by Feather » Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:02 pm

Actually I guess my question is...would taking it for this reason (and not to lessen the chance of miscarraige as it is normally used for) present any risk to the pregnancy?
Breastfeeding with IGT, that's me!
DD1 - Nov08
DD2 - Oct10
DS - Oct13

Nedsmum

Post by Nedsmum » Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:28 am

progesterone if I remember correctly is taken in early pregnancy by women with infertility issues (on IVF treatment) - to help the pregnancy to 'stick'...

I think it's pretty harmless in the sense that progesterone levels in pregnant and lactating women can be very high, and assuming that the women you are treating seems to have 'low' levels, I can't see a problem.

My understanding is that 'insufficient glandular tissue' is very rare, though, and I wonder as well whether progesterone and breast changes are specific to mother-baby pairs rather than all pregnancies from the same woman, like morning sickness, varying for each pregnancy...

I know I went from a C cup to a DD or E with my third pregnancy, and had shocking morning sickness too ! - whereas the other pregnancies were more 'modest' with the growth! - I went down in weight and up breast size quite dramatically from 6-12 weeks...
Breastmilk - the ultimate 'brain food'!!!