Tugging and Hurting Breasts

Breastfeeding does not always work out, this is a place to discuss your situation and feelings
lpalt

Tugging and Hurting Breasts

Post by lpalt » Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:19 pm

I have been breastfeeding my 4 month old since birth. We have had 3 bouts of mastitis and blocked ducts and thrush.

She has just started teething and I am not sure if it is related but whenever she feeds she pushes my breast away with her hand while also continuing to suck and also pull her head back at the same time, this hurts immensely and has left me with what feels like bruised nipples and each feed is starting to hurt more and more.

Is this tugging normal? It is causing me to consider weaning as I am in pain and she doesn't seem to be peaceful at all during a feed. I feel so guilty for even considering as I was really hoping to last at least 6 months.

Thanks
Lynette

innej

Post by innej » Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:59 pm

I don't have much by way of answers cos I'm not a cousellor, but I wanted to reply so you know someone is listening. The early days are tough and even tougher when you're in pain.
My son pushes on my breasts when he is frustrated cos let down is taking too long, he's not the most patient! :? :lol:
Hope someone comes along soon with more answers for you!
2 beautiful boys x
DS1 March '09
DS2 Dec '11

4fun

Post by 4fun » Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:04 pm

yep normal at least for us. I would grab their hands and hold them when they did this. Gee it hurt!
DS1 July 2008
DS2 November 2009
DD November 2011
DD2 March 2014

foxforcefive
Counsellor

Post by foxforcefive » Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:19 pm

Hi :smt039 and welcome to the forum!

Sounds like you guys have have a rough trot so far - hugs to you :smt056 .

There could be a few reasons why your DD is doing that - it might be because her mouth hurts from teething like you suspect, or it might be something else like fast milk flow/slow milk flow, or she's full and just wants to suck (not feed), or her ears hurt from an infection, or so many other things. Babies can be a mystery sometimes!

Maybe think about calling the ABA Helpline (1800 686 268) or sending an email to e-counselling (http://www.breastfeeding.asn.au/product ... .asp#email)?? This might help you get to the bottom of DD's behaviour, and onto the road of happy breastfeeding times (which I promise are out there!).

HTH
Wifey to 1 and mummy to 2
"If you asked me what I came into this world to do, I will tell you - I came to live out loud.” Emile Zola

lpalt

Post by lpalt » Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:46 pm

Thanks so much for the feedback. I am trying to hang in there so may call the ABA hotline tomorrow and also she is due for immunisations next week so will get them to check her ears....just in case :-)

Monicat

Post by Monicat » Sat Apr 09, 2011 12:00 am

My son still does this now - I think our case has to do with fast supply. You could try taking her off and letting the first bit of milk squirt into a washcloth and try and reattach her after the first fast bit of flow. I also used to hold DS hands do he couldn't push away as it does really hurt trying to feed them on the last cm of your nipple!

First-timer

Post by First-timer » Sat Jan 14, 2012 9:04 pm

yep normal here too! :) Not so much now (DS is 2) but definitely in the earlier days and it hurts like crazy!! I would hold his hands too and sometimes let the first bit of milk into a cloth as Monicat suggested. For us it was a bit of a fast let down and I guess it was his way of saying "whoa, slow this down Mummy". It does go away, eventually replaced by another annoying habit like tweaking your other nipple and stretching it to the other end of the room :shock: ouch too! I did get some relief from a topical breastfeeding friendly cream. PM if you would like the details.
Hope it improves some!

In each of us there is a little of all of us.

dakotakdq

Post by dakotakdq » Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:36 am

Yep my twins do this too, lil buggers! Hurts like anything so I hold there hand so they can't do it.

saige88

Nipples are cracked and bloody

Post by saige88 » Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:58 pm

My nipples are so tender that my skin has broken and starting to bleed.

I let them rest for few days and put cream on them - then once they feel better, they will start to crack again after a few feeds.

My baby is starting to resent my milk (must be the internal pain I am feeling is passing to him?)

People keep saying that my nipples will "toughen up" after a while. I dont see how this will happen!
Saige88

Nedsmum

Post by Nedsmum » Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:21 am

Hi Saige,

Welcome to the forum. Someone might separate your question from this thread and make a new one...

Usually the nipple damage is because the baby is not latching on properly...it can take a lot of practice to get it right... I doubt that your baby is 'resenting' your breastfeeding - more that they could have developed a preference for the bottle, if you are bottle feeding in between....

How long have you been breastfeeding for ?

I don't think nipples really 'toughen up' - I think that's a bit of an old wive's tale - what happens is that the baby's latch improves, and you get better at taking them off really quickly if the latch isn't working and is causing pain or damage...

Can you get to the phone and talk to someone at the breastfeeding helpline ?
Breastmilk - the ultimate 'brain food'!!!