Not working for us - made it to 1 year!

Breastfeeding does not always work out, this is a place to discuss your situation and feelings
Claire

Post by Claire » Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:09 pm

I just thought I would post an update - we have made it to 5 months today! :smt041

For those that didn't see my other thread, DD just started breastfeeding - not sure what changed, but she was feeding and gaining weight and I was able to drop most expressing sessions. That was 4 weeks ago - things are not always smooth. Her feeding has been poor again this week and after a great start to breastfeeding with some great weight gains, she has slowed right down again and lost a bit too.

So I am giving her some more EBM and just hoping we can get to 6 months without needing ABM and still have some good weight gains. Paed was concerned as she is dropping off the charts again, so I'm trying to boost her up a bit. If we need the ABM I will just have to use it and keep up the routine I have of putting her back on the breast after any top ups. I have about 1 lt of EBM in the freezer and I can express 160-220 mls a day, so hopefully we can get through another month with that.

Still a lack of support from my mum. She criticizes me everytime I feed her or if she cries. I try to ignore her and sometimes I just walk away, or swear at her when my tolerance level is reached. :oops: Sometimes I feel like I have to breastfeed in secret and I definitely cant celebrate the good days or talk about the bad ones. I see less of her though, but I get a more concentrated version of her IYKWIM.

So now I am trying to make it to 6 months. Which is bittersweet cause it means she is growing up too fast!
My two DC blessings:
DS born early @ 26 wks bf 3 years 1 day
DD bf 3 years 2 months.

Feebes

Post by Feebes » Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:19 pm

Wow, 5 mths, they are certianly growing up fast.

I am sorry that you don't have the support from your Mum, that is really sad.

One day at a time, lets hope soon that you won't need to use any ABM!

Feebes
DD 02
DS 05
DD2 2010

mooki
Site Admin

Post by mooki » Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:48 am

Congrats on 5 months

Youre doing an amazing job and you will ALWAYS have support here. :D

ames

Post by ames » Wed Dec 22, 2010 7:18 am

Well done Claire!
DD1 2005, DS 2007, DD2 2009, DD3 2011
Storked Ezekielsmummy's angel ~ Matthew Obadiah. Now Elisha Samuel has arrived!

nermylama

Post by nermylama » Wed Dec 22, 2010 7:23 am

You're doing so fantastically well :D And just think, once you make it to 6 months if you need to give abm you can just give it in a sippy cup as one of the many foods she'll be having.
Courage is not always a lion that roars. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice that says "I will try again tomorrow"

EmilyKate

Post by EmilyKate » Thu Dec 23, 2010 6:34 pm

That's brilliant Claire! Well done! You should give yourself a big pat on the back. And keep ignoring your mum.

Claire

Post by Claire » Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:44 pm

Just thought I'd give a 6 month update for anyone following our journey (and any lurkers out there :) )

We are still going at 6 months! I had to introduce ABM about 3 weeks ago as I ran out of frozen EBM and DD really needs the extra feeds by bottle. I still dont know why she's inefficient because I have the milk there, she just doesn't get it. So I bf all day till about 5pm usually, and then I offer her some EBM. She usually takes 100ml and then goes back on the breast for a few more sucks. On bad days I might offer her a top up an hour or so earlier and she ends up having two top ups for the day.

She gets a full bottle of EBM at around 7.30/8pm and then I express. I get almost as much as her bottle, so I am a bit frustrated that my trial of feeding at this time instead of bottle & expressing didn't work. She went downhill with her feeding & weight very quickly, so it just seems better to do this, so I'll stick with it.

So she gets ABM only every 3rd day or so depending on my supply and her hunger levels. Every so often my supply drops for no known reason and I go from expressing say 120ml to 40ml, so ABM is definitely needed on those days. Her weight gain has been slow but steady and the paed is happy with it at the moment. I thought I would agonise over introducing the ABM, but I am actually ok with it and it has helped me relax so I think my supply is actually better overall. Yesterday & today I have heaps!!

We've started on solids, however she is not really ready as she is still thrusting her tongue out and spitting most of it out. But it is easier to catch the food coming out in a tissue than have more family arguments about how she 'needs' it or she wont learn to eat. :roll: The little bits she has swallowed the last couple of nights have come back up a few hours later, so we are back to the paed and she's sending us on to the gasto dr thingy that I cant spell! :oops: The dr expected her reflux to settle a bit with solids, but its seems worse rather than better.

So I am happy with the way bf is going at moment, well most days. My mum is a little better. She actually asked why DD is not fully breastfeeding. Hello, where has she been the last 6 months???? :shock: Anyway, we can get out of the house, she is putting on weight and things seem to be going well.

I'm very happy to make it to 6 months. Thanks to everyone for your wonderful support! :)
My two DC blessings:
DS born early @ 26 wks bf 3 years 1 day
DD bf 3 years 2 months.

Samby

Post by Samby » Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:06 pm

Bravo Claire! I admire your determination soooooo sooooo sooooo much. I can honestly say if I were in your situation I think I would have given up long ago. You really deserve a Mum of the Year accolade!!!

Ronale
Counsellor

Post by Ronale » Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:14 pm

Well Done Claire :smt038
I've just read this thread, and I can't believe how much you've been through. You're a champion.

Widget

Post by Widget » Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:18 pm

Well Done Claire :smt038
DD1 27/2/07 BF 13 months
DD2 22/11/09 BF 18 months

Andrew's Mum
Site Admin

Post by Andrew's Mum » Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:53 pm

Claire that's great! How wonderful to get to 6 months too :smt038

Dolly

Post by Dolly » Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:08 pm

:smt041
DD1 L 03/04 BF
DD2 A 10/06 BF
DD3 O 10/09 EBM has CP

'It is survival and desire to be happy that drive mothers of disabled/ill children, not bravery or some strange need for martyrdom.'

Feebes

Post by Feebes » Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:27 pm

Samby wrote:Bravo Claire! I admire your determination soooooo sooooo sooooo much. I can honestly say if I were in your situation I think I would have given up long ago. You really deserve a Mum of the Year accolade!!!
ITA

I am trully amazed. I am so so glad that things seem to be going smoothly for you and DD at the moment.

Well done. You are a super Mum!!!!

Feebes
DD 02
DS 05
DD2 2010

meme
Counsellor

Post by meme » Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:31 am

:-D awesome
Mum of 3 girls, 5, 7 and 14 years old.

Courage is the power to let go of the familiar

Ari's Mum

Post by Ari's Mum » Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:17 pm

:smt038 :smt041 :smt026 Congratulations! Wow and what a journey. You sound like an awesome mumma..
God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change; courage to change the things I can; and wisdom to know the difference.

Storked Norrie and proudly storked by Terramommy...