Low supply

Breastfeeding does not always work out, this is a place to discuss your situation and feelings
Nhungha

Low supply

Post by Nhungha » Mon Jun 06, 2016 11:09 am

Hi,
I feel very frustrated thinking my baby is not gaining enough weight because of my low supply. She is 4 months now and exclusively breast fed. We both started off very well her at 3.4kg and me having milk only two days after birth. My supply seemed pretty good at that time when my breasts were quite firm and milk was dripping every time she cried. Thinking i would not be back at work soon I did not pump at all. With time my breasts became really soft and baby weight gain decreased.
I went to see a breastfeeding clinic and an LC told me my supply was pretty low I needed to start pumping regularly and taking supplements. A week later went for a check up at the same clinic, another LC told me to stop pumping as she preferred this amount of milk to be inside my baby's stomach rather then being frozen. It was so confusing for me to decide whether i should pump or not...
My baby at 4 month is 5.2kg. She only gained 350gr for last month. My breasts are completely soft and floppy. Everytime she sucks on there is still let-down but she is on breast only 4,5 minutes then off very unhappy. When I pump even with let-down I only get 30ml each. Besides my baby will not take bottle at all.
1. I am afraid if I pump too much there will not be enough milk for my baby on the day as it is already not much...
2. I know she'll take what she needs and with time my breasts will become softer. However what if she wants more but I dont have? Or on the other side what if it is all she needs since she is a petite type? If I pump milk supply increases. If I dont then it goes back to where it is right now. Breast milk is a matter of supply- demand so how come I did breast feed my baby evrytime she wanted my milk supply still became low?
Please help me....
From a first time mom who is struggling now :(

MamaMagoO?

Re: Low supply

Post by MamaMagoO? » Mon Jun 06, 2016 2:52 pm

Hi Nhungha,

welcome to the forum. Sounds like you have a lot going on. Might be worth giving the Breastfeeding Helpline and having a chat to a counsellor to help you work through what is going on.

I want to let you know that weight gains only tell part of the story and it is normal for babies to gain less weight around this age. In fact weight by itself doesn't really tell you much at all. How is she tracking on the growth charts? You may find that her weight gains are perfectly normal for her age or they may be a bit off but that in itself doesnot necessarily mean a supply issue. Along with weight it is also really important to look at things like number of wet nappies in 24 hrs and their growth in general- over a longer period of time- not just from one week to the next.

There is lots of useful info on this on the ABA website that you might like to read

https://www.breastfeeding.asn.au/bfinfo/whochart.html
Little Magoo 07/08. Breastfed for 3yrs3mths.
Miss Magoo 10/11. Breastfed for 4yrs3mths.

ClOuD_NiNe

Post by ClOuD_NiNe » Mon Jun 06, 2016 5:51 pm

Hi and welcome to the forum!

It sounds like you are a bit confused about conflicting advice. I also think a call to the helpline would be a good idea, a trained breastfeeding counsellor can go through everything with you in detail and help you work out what's going on.

My first was a low weight gainer and I was constantly worried, so I understand how you feel! At 6 months he was 6kg. He was born 3.7kg and steadily dropped to the 3rd percentile before following that for a while. He was having the required amount of wet nappies and was happy and growing somewhat, and in retrospect I had nothing to worry about. He's now almost 5 and skinny like his dad, I think he is destined to always be that way. Genetics can play a big role!

4 months can be a difficult age too, there is a Wonder Week going on and usually placid bubs can become clingy and upset and want to feed more. As MM mentioned, weight gains slow down after about 12 weeks as well. You also mention your breasts feeling soft which is normal after supply regulates.

Hope that helps a little. Let us know how you go.
DS July 11 - bf for 10 months
Storked by the lovely mooki
~WildChild~ was my storker

Nhungha

Post by Nhungha » Tue Jun 14, 2016 12:30 pm

Thanks so much for sharing.
Her weight on chart dropping from 50 to 15 while height and head maintain.
For last two weeks instead of sleeping 5 hours straight she started to wake up every 2-3 hours asking for breast.
Nurse advised me to try solid which I start to do now.
Is it too early? Since she doesnt take bottle that's the only chance.
What if I want to train her with bottle what can I do? Nurse and LC tried then failed. LC told me to wait till she turns 6month to try again.
And at her age she has not shown any signs of rolling. Shouls I be worried?
Have a nice day

ClOuD_NiNe

Post by ClOuD_NiNe » Tue Jun 14, 2016 5:57 pm

It sounds like she might have hit the "4 Month Monsters"! It's a really common phase / developmental leap that can disrupt sleeping and feeding patterns. In fact, it's so common that there is even a "sticky" on the forum about it... viewtopic.php?f=17&t=54877

Whether you start solids or not is a personal choice, but it's worth noting that the official recommendations from Australia's National Health and Medical Research Council and the World Health Organisartion are to start solids "around 6 months" when the baby is showing signs of readiness (loss of tongue thrust reflex, able to sit mostly unassisted, can grab at food themselves).

Introducing a bottle can be tricky when bub won't take it. Did you manage to get through to the helpline? A counsellor will have some ideas you can try.

As for the rolling, my kids didn't roll until closer to 5 months. I think the range of normal is pretty wide.
DS July 11 - bf for 10 months
Storked by the lovely mooki
~WildChild~ was my storker