Returning to work and over it.

Breastfeeding does not always work out, this is a place to discuss your situation and feelings
BreeLymar

Returning to work and over it.

Post by BreeLymar » Tue Aug 25, 2015 6:00 pm

Hi everyone,

I thought I would make a post here because I don't know what to do. I am returning to work next week and my baby boy will be 14 weeks old.
I have found breastfeeding really easy and enjoyable, however I am a little tired (i know this sounds bad) of being needed all the time.
Baby will be fed expressed milk by bottle from dad whilst I am at work. However, I am constantly worrying about how much milk i have in the freezer, and how much i will have to pump at work etc.

I am thinking of throwing in the towel and weening to formula. This will also help share the feeding with my partner but I am also worrying once I ween him off I will regret feeding him and the closeness.

Any thoughts?

fellare

Re: Returning to work and over it.

Post by fellare » Tue Aug 25, 2015 7:30 pm

Hugs. Going back to work is such a big step. I went back at 7w (half day) and my now ex stayed home. I was lucky i express easily. I froze milk into icecubes. Dad would get out as needed. Ds would only have 40ml at most. When i went to full day, they came over for lunch and ds refused milk from a bottle.

might be worth to just go for it. You could supplement as needed. Doesnt have to be all or nothing.
Boobymonster weaned at 3.5yrs.
Ms Firestorm born august 2015
Whatever you perceive to believe, dream.... be free.... (eMDee)

Penguin

Post by Penguin » Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:31 pm

Thoughts based on my own experiences -

Could you try expressing for a while and see how it goes? BF doesn't need to be all or nothing? Could you express once or twice a day, feed bub that, and then make up the shortfall (if any) with donor milk or formula? On a personal note, I recently faced the stressful situation of having little stash and needing milk for daycare. Once I decide that the EBM would last as long as it lasted, and formula after, I was much less stressed. (I ended up not needing the formula at all, but having made that decision was a big stress reducer). (In my case, I was pumping enough to cover bub's consumption, but not the waste that Daddy was tipping down the sink that she refused to drink...) There are plenty of benefits to partial breastfeeding, and there are things you can do to minimise potential issues.

The craziness of pumping at work can be overwhelming - but, it only lasts for a short time. In my case, I've been breastfeeding for four and a half years, but only pumping at work for about six months with Bub 1, and two months (so far) with Bub Two. You may very well find that bfing when you're home at night and on weekends is easier than formula, and some pumping during the day (with supplementing as required) might be a good balance.

There are risks to not exclusively breastfeeding for six months, but there are risks with everything. It's about what works best for your baby, you and your family in your circumstances.
however I am a little tired (i know this sounds bad) of being needed all the time.
This doesn't sound bad at all. This is a perfectly normal feeling, and I don't know a mother, or a father who does a lot of the day-to-day care of small children who doens't feel like this some of the time. Or even, a lot of the time. You're a person too, who has needs and desires and needs to be looked after. Parenting is not about martyrdom.

You can always call helpline to chat through with someone in person (1800 686268) or keep chatting here of course.
DD1 May 2011
Super baby Dec 2013
DD2 Feb 2015 Storked by Parla.
Proud storker: michansam's DS3, katsbi's DD3 and Gwen's mum's DS

Penguin

Post by Penguin » Wed Aug 26, 2015 8:51 am

Eta- for me, pumping at work was more about maintaining bf when not at work, rather than producing milk from bub; that was a Secondary purpose.
DD1 May 2011
Super baby Dec 2013
DD2 Feb 2015 Storked by Parla.
Proud storker: michansam's DS3, katsbi's DD3 and Gwen's mum's DS

snowie

Post by snowie » Wed Aug 26, 2015 10:15 pm

BreeLymar wrote:however I am a little tired (i know this sounds bad) of being needed all the time.
doesn't sound bad at all to me - my escape tonight was to the local Dr to collect a script for my big girl and then to the pharmacy to fill the script. I was out of the house on my own with no children for 20 minutes. I didn't mind having to wait at the pharmacy even though the pharmacist apologised, I really needed a break from the girls.
Never forgetting our angel babies
Storking chiggins

delightedbreathless

Post by delightedbreathless » Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:20 am

These thread is old but still helpful. I am a new mom. I just got my baby girl. I am not looking forward to going back to work just yet. :-)