Mixed Feelings

Breastfeeding does not always work out, this is a place to discuss your situation and feelings
MummyOfShara

Mixed Feelings

Post by MummyOfShara » Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:20 am

:( I took my DD to the doctor yesterday due to her being unsettled (well unsettled for her) and in pain for the last few days. not only did he say she has reflux, but she is also lactose intolerant. As this is my second child and i didnt get to nurse my son long due to over supply (he's 5 now) i had my heart on nursng my daughter for a long time. yesterday dashed my hopes as due to doctors orders ive had to put her on a lactose free formula. She is much more happy and content, even back into routine, but i feel like i have failed in my quest to BF this time and i feel like ive failed her. Is it normal to feel this way????? :oops: sorry for the sad post

Esther

Post by Esther » Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:43 am

Oh hugs, it can be so hard when our parenting dreams don't seem to work out, can't it? We make the decisions we need to make at the time. Rule no. 1 is always make sure the baby is fed. Without that, nothing else will happen.

Lactose intolerance can be really poorly understood, and it leapt out at me that you had issues with oversupply with your DS. I wondered if this article on lactose overload/intolerance from our website might be useful to you?

https://www.breastfeeding.asn.au/bf-info/lactose

Good luck
Esther
DD1 05, DS 08, BB 11, DD2 12
Storked by nat*4
Storked Ellie's Mum, foggylog, jessiemay, Ducks & nat*4

MummyOfShara

Post by MummyOfShara » Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:51 pm

not only with DS but DD too. we were doing so well and DD and i formed a great bond. i was enjoying feeding this time it wasnt making me stressed or frustrated but i guess it wasnt meant to be. i cant make myself lactose free and i guess it just is how it is :cry:

Little Tiggermum
Site Admin

Post by Little Tiggermum » Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:03 pm

why can't you make yourself lactose free?? you see many people use lactose intolerence when they really mean cows milk intolerent. Many people here are dairy free. True lactose intolerence is very very rare and highly dangerous... and can only be diagnosed by a paediatrician. Soudns like you need more information... what did you doctor mean by lactose intolerent. if it was found via stool test, this is a highly inaccurate way of testing for lactose intolerance with breastfed babies as it shows a false positive. If you want to keep feeding I think this might be one where you can fight to keep going.
DD#1 Boozo 15
DD#2 Puddins 12
DS Emperor Bulldog 9
DS2 Pumba 4
Can't get to a breastfeeding support group? http://mumsright.libsyn.com

Nedsmum

Post by Nedsmum » Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:12 pm

How old is your baby ? Did they have a gastic illness (were they immunised for rotavirus?).... my third one was immunised for rotavirus and it really affected his digestion for a few days, but I kept breastfeeding and it improved. He got gastro very badly as a toddler, and had lactose intolerance as a consequence, but I was told to just keep breastfeeding him, and it gradually got better - it took a month for his gut to repair itself - but they told me it would take even longer without the assistance of the immune and digestive factors in breastmilk.

Although breastmilk contains lactose, it also contains digestive enzymes and immune factors which help the baby to digest this lactose, so if the baby's natural ability to digest lactose has been reduced or wiped out, the breastmilk can actually help restore this capability.
Breastmilk - the ultimate 'brain food'!!!

mooki
Site Admin

Post by mooki » Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:27 pm

Hi and welcome :D

Sorry to hear youre having troubles at the moment. When you say 'unsettled', could you describe it a bit more? Periods of unsettledness can (unfortunately) be quite normal for babies.

How did your Dr diagnose she is lactose intolerant? I dont have experience myself but from reading the experiences of alot of other people on here, its definitely not as simple as a quick diagnosis, I'm pretty sure there would be ways of exploring whats causing the unsettled behaviour in your DD.

Like LTM said, many people confuse Lactose intolerance and CMPI. There are a few forumites here that are and have been on elimination diets to cut out foods that ther bubs are intolerant or allergic to.

I would seek a second opionion, possibly by a health professional who has some knowledge in breastfeeding and know what to look and/or test for if its relavent.

Also give the helpine a call, its free and they could also talk you through what they may think is going on. They cant give medical advice but if they think its something that needs a medical opinion, they could point you in the right direction. Hope that helps a little.

First-timer

Post by First-timer » Sat Jan 14, 2012 8:44 pm

I would get a second opinion also before stopping breastfeeding. I had alot of issues with DS through the first 6-8 months with him being quite sensitive to my diet. I ended up going gluten, wheat and cows milk free and it helped to make him much more comfortable.

I totally agree about the confusion between lactose intolerance and CMPI. I suffered CMPI when I was young and am still quite sensitive to it if I eat too much.

I spoke to some Herbalists & Naturopaths locally and they recommended drinking particular herbal teas to assist with the reflux pain which was another thing that made a big difference to DS comfort levels.

I don't think you have failed your daughter nor yourself, but I can understand why you would feel so upset about the situation. I would feel the same!

In each of us there is a little of all of us.

JulioSheppards

Re: Mixed Feelings

Post by JulioSheppards » Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:32 pm

not only with DS but DD too. we were doing so well and DD and i formed a great bond. i was enjoying feeding this time it wasnt making me stressed or frustrated but i guess it wasnt meant to be. i cant make myself lactose free and i guess it just is how it is :cry: