9 week old eating full feeds every 1.5hrs.. exhausted mum!

Breastfeeding does not always work out, this is a place to discuss your situation and feelings

9 week old eating full feeds every 1.5hrs.. exhausted mum!

Postby Kristensorg » Tue Nov 22, 2016 3:03 pm

My son Aiden is 9 weeks on thursday, weve managed to stay on the boob the whole time, through the struggles and setbacks with him having a total of 6 bottles of EBM before the last week.

Ive hit a brick wall, the past week he has literally been eating FULL feeds, i mean ive expressed(160mls) and fed him to make sure he was eating properly and sure enough.. that was gone in a flash.. but then waking up within an hour screaming starvation!?
And eating another full feed!

This ontop of a ADHD 4yo (who only goes to daycate 1 day a week!) is wearing me very very thin.
Plus i have this horrendous cough and snotty nose.. i have no issue with supply, but i cant keep up, i dont know what else i can do.. i was hoping it was a phase and it would pass in a few days but were on day 8.. and hes showing no signs of sleeping any longer or eating any less.

My breasts are raw, my body is aching and my emotions are running crazy from the stress of 'breast is best'.
I was labelled a failure after giving up after 8 days with my first so ive worked my ass off to get to where i am, i just know that my milk isnt keeping him full enough for long enough and i dont know how to change that!?
Im just very lost atm, my husband is very supportive, whatever path i choose he will walk with me, formula or breast but i just want to know if theres something i can do? I cant pump enough to keep up with his demands so express feeding wont work and its shown no different reaults so far.
Kristensorg

Re: 9 week old eating full feeds every 1.5hrs.. exhausted mu

Postby Esther » Tue Nov 22, 2016 7:56 pm

Hugs. Sounds like there's a lot going on. Never nice being sick when you're a mum.

Have you tried calling the ABA Helpline? It's available 24/7. You can talk to a counsellor and work out a plan of what you want to do. And if you decide that's formula they can help with a plan for that too - you don't want to stop breastfeeding all at once after 9 weeks!
Esther
DD1 05, DS 08, BB 11, DD2 12
Storked by nat*4
Storked Ellie's Mum, foggylog, jessiemay, Ducks & nat*4
Esther

Re: 9 week old eating full feeds every 1.5hrs.. exhausted mu

Postby Jenbt85 » Tue Nov 22, 2016 8:18 pm

I second what Esther says!

Also wanted to add that no one should ever be labelled a failure for stopping breastfeeding. It's a very personal choice and should be respected. Congratulations on making it to 9 weeks, sounds like it hasn't been the easiest ride.

Hope that you're feeling better soon, it's horrible when you're unwell and have to parent. :(

The helpline are so lovely to talk to. Let us know how you go :)
DS - bf 18.5 months (565 days)!
DD - breastfeeding

Storked by the fabulous forumites: AussieBritLu and PellyintheWilderness

Openly storking AussieBritLu
Jenbt85

Return to When breastfeeding does not work out