Pain feeding 13 month old

For discussion of issues related to breastfeeding an older baby/child
Rosencranz

Pain feeding 13 month old

Post by Rosencranz » Wed May 20, 2015 4:36 pm

Hi

I'm having a lot of pain feeding my 13.5 month boy. He's feeding about 3-4 times/day and once overnight. In the last three weeks he's also cut 6 teeth (next 2 bottom ones and all his molars). At Christmas he cut 4 top teeth, so I'm used to the teeth, but in the last three weeks I've been in agony. Feels like he is digging his teeth in while feeding. Add to that he wiggles and pulls and pushes at my breasts with his hands. Anyone got any advice about fixing the pain?

Thanks

Esther

Re: Pain feeding 13 month old

Post by Esther » Wed May 20, 2015 8:26 pm

Talking to older babies can often really help. Tell them how you want them to feed - nice, big, gentle mouth. Sitting still, no wriggling around. Tell them what happens if they hurt you and how it makes you feel. You might have to repeat this a lot.

We also tend to get a bit lazy with attachment and positioning with older babies. Sometimes it helps to go right back to basics for a bit, so checking that the wriggler is tucked in nice and close, head level with your breast and so on.

Good luck!
Esther
DD1 05, DS 08, BB 11, DD2 12
Storked by nat*4
Storked Ellie's Mum, foggylog, jessiemay, Ducks & nat*4

Rosencranz

Re: Pain feeding 13 month old

Post by Rosencranz » Thu May 21, 2015 2:58 pm

Thanks, Esther. Positioning has helped overnight and today. Starting to feel better and in a lot less pain!