Has anyone breastfed a child to age 7?

For discussion of issues related to breastfeeding an older baby/child
pseudo

Has anyone breastfed a child to age 7?

Post by pseudo » Fri May 15, 2015 11:22 pm

I know it happens but I'm the only person I actually know who did it. It just worked out that way. I brought it up today at playgroup in conversation and everyone went weird on me. It was like I was suddenly a different person to who they thought I am. And not in a good way.

Storked by the lovely Lu!

Parla.
Counsellor

Re: Has anyone breastfed a child to age 7?

Post by Parla. » Sat May 16, 2015 12:04 am

It's a shame you got a negative reaction. I didn't get to 7 for a variety of reasons, but I can see how it can just work out that way. It can be very disconcerting to find such a normal part of life is not regarded that way by others.
Speak to a breastfeeding counsellor anytime - 1800 686 268

The Penguin chick is a very proud big sister 8)

Mummy woo!
Site Admin

Post by Mummy woo! » Sat May 16, 2015 7:11 am

Sort of - Oobiwoo would try his luck a few times past six yo. Mrs moops is 5.5 and still feeds before bed a few times a week. She might stop sooner with no younger sibling to keep up the supply.

I just don't tell people (except the Internet :roll: ). A few know, but generally I fear the reaction you had pseudo, and I can't be ar$ed dealing with it. It is hard not to talk about something that is as natural as breathing for us, but I'm used to it now. It is a big joke in our aba group to schedule me to lead a weaning discussion :lol:

I'm sorry your playgroup ladies didn't recognise that it was such a great thing you have done for your LO and went weird in you. Shame they missed an opportunity to learn from you about a different way to do things.
It's OK Pluto, I'm not a planet either

whitto04

Post by whitto04 » Sat May 16, 2015 2:51 pm

One of my girls fed to 5 years 8 months. She still asks for me to squirt milk in her mouth, and she turned 9 last week.
I am still feeding my youngest, she turned 3 in January. I generally don't tell people, unless I know they will make supportive comments. Thankfully I do have a large group of friends who agree with natural weaning.
DD#1-1999, BF 12 months.
DD#2-2006, BF 5 yrs 8 months
DD#3-2009 (born at home), BF 4 yrs 2 months
DD#4-2012 (born at home), no longer sharing with her sister!
11 years of continuous lactation!!!!!

MamaMagoO?

Post by MamaMagoO? » Sat May 16, 2015 7:41 pm

Not yet but the way DD is going it could happen. DS has tried his luck in recent times too and he's nearly 7 but the last time I actually let him try when he was about 4 he had forgotten how to attach and his attempts felt yuck so I won't let him try again. I suspect if he hadn't stopped when DD was born there is a chance he'd still be feeding now too.

I'm sorry you had such a negative reaction. Maybe once they've had a chance to think it through they may be less judgmental about it.
Little Magoo 07/08. Breastfed for 3yrs3mths.
Miss Magoo 10/11. Breastfed for 4yrs3mths.

DellaWellaWoman

Post by DellaWellaWoman » Sat May 16, 2015 10:53 pm

I tandem fed my oldest until she was 5y 7m, and my 'baby' turns 6 at the end of the month.

She still 'feeds' even though I'm pretty sure I stopped lactating months ago (a 4 day business trip away from her, took the pump, couldn't express a single drop AND didn't feel even slightly full!), and I'll let her decide when her last feed is.

I guess I'm proof that breastfeeding is about more than just the milk?

Well done, and I'm sorry those in your group weren't more understanding...
DD1 breastfed 6 years, 7 months
DD2 still going at 5 years :D
Honoured to have been storked by Capricious

~WildChild~

Post by ~WildChild~ » Sun May 17, 2015 7:01 am

I weaned my boys at the 5, DD still feeds at almost 4.
I dont tell anyone because I dont want to deal with their negativity.
Im already the 'odd' one because I cosleep & cook from scratch. Imagine if they all knew I fed to 5 as wel!!
DS1 2006 - breastfed for 5 years
DS2 2009 - breastfed for 5 years
DD 2011 - breastfed for 4 years 9 months
Angel baby 2016
Storking ClOuD_NiNe

Feebes

Post by Feebes » Sun May 17, 2015 12:57 pm

That's really sad that there is still a lot of judgement out there about breastfeeding the older child.

Feebes
DD 02
DS 05
DD2 2010

pseudo

Post by pseudo » Sun May 17, 2015 2:16 pm

Thanks for the feedback and experiences everyone. I bumped into one of the mums in the supermarket yesterday and she confided to me that she breastfed her oldest son until he was nearly 5 but she didn't feel comfortable telling the others about it. Yep, it's a shame that there is so much judgement.

Storked by the lovely Lu!

Baby Blue Eyes

Post by Baby Blue Eyes » Sun May 17, 2015 7:29 pm

I'm sorry you felt like that I'm starting to get some looks about feeding ds3 and he is almost 4, we only feed in private. (the oldest was 4 for me)

I've even had a friend upset at me for feed dd in front of her and dd isn't even 2 yet
DS1 - b/f 4 yrs
DS2 - b/f 3yrs 11mths
DS3 - B/F 4yrs 10 mths

clairek766

Post by clairek766 » Tue May 26, 2015 12:11 am

I'm sorry that you had that experience and felt judged for something so natural and nurturing. I think it's amazing you've breastfed so long - it's not easy!

My son is 3.5 and tells me he will never stop so we may just get to 7 or beyond! :lol: