Missing feeds and milk supply

For discussion of issues related to breastfeeding an older baby/child
gismo10

Missing feeds and milk supply

Post by gismo10 » Fri May 01, 2015 3:31 pm

Hi!
My bub is 15 months old and still breastfed. She goes to daycare three days a week and won't take a bottle. She is fine there just on water and solids as it is only about 7 hours.
I still express when she is at daycare to keep up my supply (she still feeds 4-5 times a day when she is with me). My expressed milk gets tipped down the drain.
I didn't express one day to see what would happen and she was really fussy the next day she was with me (making me think there wasn't enough milk).
Is it possible to miss feeds on some days and not express but keep up supply for the other days?

MamaMagoO?

Re: Missing feeds and milk supply

Post by MamaMagoO? » Fri May 01, 2015 8:34 pm

Hi Gismo10,

Everyone is different so what works for one person may not work for another but when my DS was that age I worked 3 days a week: Monday, Wednesday and Friday. When I first went back to work when he was 11 months I expressed and sent bottles of ebm to daycare. He refused to drink it so I gradually reduced the amount I expressed at work. Eventually I was only expressing a little for comfort as needed then I found I didn't need to do that anymore either. He continued to breastfeed whenever we were together right uoy until he was 3 yrs old. It seemed as though my supply somehow adjusted so that I produced more milk on home days and less on work days. I suspect the fact that I did not work on consecutive days helped. I have also spoken to other mums who have had similar experiences to me so it is certainly possible to maintain enough of a supply this way but it may not work for everyone.

Hope that helps :-)
Little Magoo 07/08. Breastfed for 3yrs3mths.
Miss Magoo 10/11. Breastfed for 4yrs3mths.