Let-down, or lack of

For discussion of issues related to breastfeeding an older baby/child
ClOuD_NiNe

Let-down, or lack of

Post by ClOuD_NiNe » Sat Feb 28, 2015 3:10 pm

DD is almost 2 and I've limited her to 3 feeds a day - nap time, bed time and early morning. For the last few weeks I seem to be having trouble with the let-down. It's maybe only happening once a day or once every couple of days? I'm not feeling it, and I know that you can get a let-down without feeling it but I can tell from DD's sucking/swallowing patterns that it's not happening.

Nothing has changed, I've got a lot going on at the moment but I don't feel as though stress is inhibiting the let-down. In fact feeding times are probably the most relaxing times in my day, I just lie there and check FB or the forum on my phone, or snooze.

Has anyone else had the same thing happen when feeding a toddler? I'm not sure if I've ever heard anyone mention it.
DS July 11 - bf for 10 months
Storked by the lovely mooki
~WildChild~ was my storker

PellyintheWilderness

Re: Let-down, or lack of

Post by PellyintheWilderness » Sat Feb 28, 2015 3:26 pm

Is she actually sucking in such a way that she would trigger a let-down? As children get older, suckling becomes more about comfort/ closeness and less about feeding. Maybe she's not "asking" for milk most of the time anymore, if that makes any sense...
Proud co-storker for AndyPandy (with mooki)
Proud co-storker for Jenbt85 (with AussieBritLu)

DD May 2005 bf 12 months
DS1 May 2005 bf 37 months
DS2 Nov 2011 bf 36 months
DS3 Nov 2011 bf 38 months

mooki
Site Admin

Post by mooki » Sat Feb 28, 2015 4:23 pm

have you POAS?

ClOuD_NiNe

Post by ClOuD_NiNe » Sat Feb 28, 2015 9:03 pm

Pelly she seems to be sucking the same, short and fast to try and trigger the let-down. Strange. She doesn't seem to mind that the milk isn't flowing so I think it's more for comfort these days, although I still think she would feed all day if I let her! Sometimes she asks for a "mimi cuddle" during the day when she knows she's not allowed a proper feed.

Mooki I knew someone would ask that! I haven't POAS but I am 99.9999999% sure I am not pregnant. I was charting temps up until about a month ago, no ovulation. Then I got lazy and stopped so I can't tell you for certain what's been going on since then. But I definitely do not feel pregnant!

Parla.
Counsellor

Post by Parla. » Sat Feb 28, 2015 9:38 pm

Oh yes, definitely. I actually think this is quite common for mums feeding older babies (2 and up) to say they think there is no let down/the child isn't getting any milk. Obviously mums are often right about this, but I think I got it wrong. I went for months not hearing or seeing any sign of swallowing. I weaned pretty much cold turkey just after age 2 from feeding 0-1 times a day. Suddenly the poos were very different, so it looks like milk was being produced and swallowed anyway.

One of my breastfeeding books suggests that the physical cue to swallow while breastfeeding is when the mouth reaches a certain degree of fullness, so it makes sense to me that a child with a bigger mouth, and a mother who is not producing as much milk as she was, might mean there isn't the regular suck-swallow we see in a little baby after let-down.
Speak to a breastfeeding counsellor anytime - 1800 686 268

The Penguin chick is a very proud big sister 8)

ClOuD_NiNe

Post by ClOuD_NiNe » Sun Mar 01, 2015 3:21 pm

Parla. wrote:One of my breastfeeding books suggests that the physical cue to swallow while breastfeeding is when the mouth reaches a certain degree of fullness, so it makes sense to me that a child with a bigger mouth, and a mother who is not producing as much milk as she was, might mean there isn't the regular suck-swallow we see in a little baby after let-down.
Good point Parla, that makes a lot of sense.