Ween faster say over 3 months
33%
Ween now
No votes

Total votes: 3

wilfred

I need to ween faster

Post by wilfred » Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:47 pm

So I was off to the gyno for a smear and we ended up talking abut some other problems I've been having lately. He is very pro breast feeding, in fact he supplies me with the medication for my supply.

Anyhoo, he told me I need to stop faster he wants to run some tests and maybe another surgery.

I'm not ready to just cut her off. I told him that and he was very understanding, and said we need to think about your health. He still gave me another script for maxalon.

He's been my gyno for over 15 years, without him I wouldn't have 4 children.

Help me out guys...
Me: 38
DH: 38
DS1: 11.5 bf for 6 weeks
DD1: 8.5 bf for 13 weeks
DS2: 6.5 bf for 26 months
DD2: 4 bf for 3 yrs and 2 weeks

fellare

Re: I need to ween faster

Post by fellare » Wed Jan 14, 2015 5:05 pm

How old is your little one now?

I think it would really depend on the tests and the risks. Lots of tests can be fine while breastfeeding or with a bit of dump and pump.
Boobymonster weaned at 3.5yrs.
Ms Firestorm born august 2015
Whatever you perceive to believe, dream.... be free.... (eMDee)

wilfred

Post by wilfred » Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:14 pm

She's 2.5, he's very worried about my complete lack of oestrogen. I haven't had a period since we conceived DD2. She's down to 3 feeds a day.

AussieBritLu
Community Educator

Post by AussieBritLu » Thu Jan 15, 2015 4:16 pm

I don't know what to say but if the pro breastfeeding gyno is very supportive of you I'd suggest heeding his words if it were me.
DD1/2011 - FF
DS/2013 - BF 2yr4m. Weaned :-)
DD2/2016 - BF 21mths. Weaned :-/
Storked pseudo, lilypad & Vahvempi. Co-storked with Pelly for Jenbt85!
Storked by Giff for DS & Jenbt85 for DD2.

wilfred

Post by wilfred » Thu Jan 15, 2015 7:44 pm

That's what scares me aussiebritlou, he's very supportive. He even gave me more medication to help my supply even though he advised I stopped bf.

I think it will be a huge shock to DD2 if I just stopped.

mooki
Site Admin

Post by mooki » Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:41 pm

Hi B,

without knowing the full situation (not that I'm a Health professional anyway LOL) I think this is such a personal decision and one where you would weigh up the pros and cons for you and DD2.

Maybe you can ask yourself and your GP some questions;
Why is it necessary to stop breastfeeding for the tests to be run?
What are the implications if you do stop? Or dont stop? (Both physically and emotionally for both of you)
Did you have plans to feed until she self weaned or did you plan on weaning her in a few months?

I agree that it would probably be a huge shock to wean suddenly, especially if it is a great source of comfort for her. You might find it helpful to chat things through with a counsellor on the helpline and even find out some strategies that you might find useful if you need to slowly wean.

DigDig

Post by DigDig » Thu Jan 15, 2015 10:35 pm

Ugh, just wrote a long reply but it disappeared.
In summary though, i think you need to weigh up 2 things. 1, the implications on your health if you continue and how serious the impact will be. ( can you talk to your dr more about this? And maybe possibility of relactation after you are better?)
The other is attachment and comfort for your child. Maybe you could start creating other ways of comfort and attachment as a 'just in case'. I wonder if your child would be okay with the weaning if you explained why in simple terms and talked about all the other ways you would still connect? I'm always amazed by how much littlies understand.
DD - BF 23 months 4 1/2yrs
DD2 - BFeeding

Claire

Post by Claire » Sun Jan 18, 2015 5:11 pm

Just out of interest - has your dr tested to determine you are not producing estrogen? I normally over produce estrogen and when I had DD I didn't have any periods for 2y 7m and only did it come back then because I decided to wean of the milk meds - not the one you have mentioned but the other one. My dr knew I was breastfeeding but sent me for tests just to make sure the lack of periods was not related to my medical conditions - I knew it was cause of the bf & the meds - I knew if I was producing the most milk I could it kept my periods away. Anyway I had bloods, ultrasound and a d&c. all normal and my period returned before I could complete the tests because I had decided to stop the meds. Anyway think of the possibility that the meds are interfering with your period, not necessarily no estrogen.

So I'm not sure what tests you need that would require ceasing breastfeeding (I've had nuclear tests and only had to stop for x number of hours). While bf I had surgery (for testing purposes) every 6 months while breastfeeding both of mine and when I had DS I was on hormone therapy from 6 months till he weaned at 3. I chose not to go on hormone therapy when bf DD for me not because of her. If I'm not sure about a med/test when I'm breastfeeding I just call Rodney whyte - he is so wonderful and will give you any detail you need. I've even called him twice in two days to double check something after a dr pretty much yelled at me when I told her Rodney's advice. He was wonderfully supportive and able to update me once I knew the actual dose of medication I had been given.

So I would advise you to keep bf till you are both ready to stop (if that's what you want) but seek out expert advice to measure up if it's safe to continue or cease for a day or so if you need particular meds.
My two DC blessings:
DS born early @ 26 wks bf 3 years 1 day
DD bf 3 years 2 months.

wilfred

Post by wilfred » Sun Jan 18, 2015 6:23 pm

Thanks so much Claire. I've decided to keep feeding her til she's 3. That was my plan, and I'm sticking to it.