Weaned toddler wanting to un-wean

For discussion of issues related to breastfeeding an older baby/child
Jenbt85

Weaned toddler wanting to un-wean

Post by Jenbt85 » Fri Dec 05, 2014 8:16 am

So, DS was weaned almost five months ago. My supply was non-existent, he wasn't that phased about stopping. I was having aversion, so we stopped.

Now I'm pregnant and he's interested again. My boobs are making milk - I have milk showing in my nipples (sometimes colostrum colour, sometimes white). He tries to latch on but has forgotten how. He says "milk, yum yum yum". I underestimated what he would remember.

So. I don't want to tandem feed or go through weaning again close to the birth of number two... Can I express during pregnancy? I didn't want him to feel replaced, which was another reason to wean early. Now I think that might happen anyway if he's into the milk. Help?
DS - bf 18.5 months (565 days)!
DD - breastfeeding

Storked by the fabulous forumites: AussieBritLu and PellyintheWilderness

Openly storking AussieBritLu

Penguin

Re: Weaned toddler wanting to un-wean

Post by Penguin » Fri Dec 05, 2014 8:18 am

If he can't suck could you let him 'suck' and he might run himself out?
DD1 May 2011
Super baby Dec 2013
DD2 Feb 2015 Storked by Parla.
Proud storker: michansam's DS3, katsbi's DD3 and Gwen's mum's DS

Jenbt85

Post by Jenbt85 » Fri Dec 05, 2014 8:30 am

Penguin wrote:If he can't suck could you let him 'suck' and he might run himself out?
I tried, but it hurts a bit. He sucks like it's a straw! I could just grit my teeth and see if that works though. We've reintroduced a bottle (for the plane) so maybe he'll get the hang of feeding again.
DD - breastfeeding

Yankee

Post by Yankee » Sat Dec 06, 2014 8:43 pm

Please excuse me if this sounds really insensitive, but why don't you just say no? Perhaps say that milk is for the new baby, just like he got lots of milk when he was a baby, and that big kids get other awesome things that the baby won't be able to have.

He's been fine for five months without it. It's natural for him to be curious about it but that doesn't mean you automatically have to say yes.
DD born September 2013

Ronale
Counsellor

Post by Ronale » Sat Dec 06, 2014 8:50 pm

How are you feeling about feeding again? I'm not sure if be keen, but I know many mums feel unhappy about weaning to conceive and if the older child shows interest are more than happy to encourage. I guess it depends on what you want to do at this point.
DS 06.10
DS2 01.13
DS3 07.15 Storked by the fantabulous moOKI

Jenbt85

Post by Jenbt85 » Sun Dec 07, 2014 12:49 am

Yankee wrote:Please excuse me if this sounds really insensitive, but why don't you just say no? Perhaps say that milk is for the new baby, just like he got lots of milk when he was a baby, and that big kids get other awesome things that the baby won't be able to have.

He's been fine for five months without it. It's natural for him to be curious about it but that doesn't mean you automatically have to say yes.
It's not insensitive. I have generally been saying no, but I don't want to to tell him that milk is just for babies as this isn't what I believe and isn't going to be what he sees around him.

Ronale, if I wasn't having another baby I'd be happy to unwean but I don't want to tandem feed.

I wrote the post pretty late one night and he hasn't tried for a feed since so this is probably not actually the problem is seemed to be at the time.

I think I'll express when the baby is born and he can have some milk in a cup then if he's interested.
DD - breastfeeding