12 month old thinks breast is his comforter

For discussion of issues related to breastfeeding an older baby/child
upallnight

12 month old thinks breast is his comforter

Post by upallnight » Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:25 pm

DS just turned 1 year and suddenly went from nursing every 4-5 hours to demanding long, frequent feeds all day and night. Also whenever I'm talking to another adult and not giving him the 100% attention he wants. Is this just a phase he's going through, or do I need to end 'demand feeding' for the incessant demanding to end? I'd like to be able to use nursing to comfort DS if he really needs it, but I don't want it to be his only go to for the next 1-2 years... Any advice from mums who've been there before?
Happy mother to Nov.2013 boy who loves his milk!

fellare

Re: 12 month old thinks breast is his comforter

Post by fellare » Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:15 am

Absolutely normal! It's part of the separation anxiety thing, which some kids have stronger than others. it usuallypeaks at 18 months, i think. It comes and goes with how they feel. For us, increase in length and demand often precedes illness, like a cold. Mine is nearly 3.

Hey, if you're happy and bub is happy, then it's fantastic. Hell learn other ways of comforting with time and maturity. Ds now asks for cuddles too and tells me which shoulder, or sometimes a skirt cuddle is enough, lol.
Boobymonster weaned at 3.5yrs.
Ms Firestorm born august 2015
Whatever you perceive to believe, dream.... be free.... (eMDee)

Yankee

Re: 12 month old thinks breast is his comforter

Post by Yankee » Wed Nov 26, 2014 6:32 am

Does sound like the normal clingy phase when only mummy will do. He knows that a bf is a time when he gets your attention and cuddles, why wouldn't he? Around that time is when DD first went from placid baby to demanding toddler, it was quite a shock to the system!

However, breastfeeding is a two-way relationship. If you're both happy then fine, but if you're not happy than it's perfectly fine to set boundaries. You can meet your baby's needs for comfort and reassurance in other ways.

You could call the helpline for a chat about strategies, or I'm sure ladies who have been through similar will be along with their stories. It's also quite likely it's a phase that he might outgrow quickly.
DD born September 2013