Poor toddler latch

For discussion of issues related to breastfeeding an older baby/child
AbbeyCat
Trainee

Poor toddler latch

Post by AbbeyCat » Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:50 pm

Sorry for being such a stranger of late.

AbbeyKitten (2.5yrs) loves her breastfeeds, but it's hurting me. Main issue (I'm assuming) is the front teeth on the areola. But, leftie seems to have some chaffing today too. Have been giving lots of cows milk instead of breastfeeds due to the discomfort/pain. Probably down to early morning breastfeed only. But, her latch is getting worse and I'm not sure how much longer I can stand it, but am not so keen on having to wake up and go downstairs to retrieve milk. Dentist who lasered posterior tongue tie says everything is functioning well, and has suggested going back to chiropractor. I don't think AbbeyKitten would deal well with that and personally believe there is a big risk of oral aversion for her. Definitely isn't teething as dentist said all her teeth are there.

Any tips for improving toddler latch? I ask her to open up, stick tongue out, use tongue etc, but I don't think she gets it.

I would be OK with weaning, but she wouldn't be, and I think I would miss the early morning snuggles, maybe.

Thanks!

DellaWellaWoman

Re: Poor toddler latch

Post by DellaWellaWoman » Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:59 pm

I found I had to go back to basics of positioning & attachment. Baby (or toddler) close to you, chest to chest, chin to breast, all that sort of stuff.

Once I actually 'looked' at the attachment we had there was no wonder I was getting top tooth indents in my breast - she was almost at right angles to me!

HTH
DD1 breastfed 6 years, 7 months
DD2 still going at 5 years :D
Honoured to have been storked by Capricious

AbbeyCat
Trainee

Post by AbbeyCat » Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:49 pm

Good idea! Have been focussing so much on her mouth, but have been completely ignoring her body position! :shock:

strolltotheshops

Post by strolltotheshops » Mon Nov 24, 2014 6:17 am

Yep I've found that tucking their body into me makes a big difference. Also, showing them how my mouth looks without teeth bared :D. And (gently!) putting my mouth on their arm first with teeth and then without teeth so they can feel the difference.

Nedsmum

Post by Nedsmum » Mon Nov 24, 2014 6:39 am

Is she using a 'sippy' cup, teat or rubber straw for other drinks? Maybe try cutting those out and using a normal open cup...
Breastmilk - the ultimate 'brain food'!!!

AbbeyCat
Trainee

Post by AbbeyCat » Sun Nov 30, 2014 7:36 am

Yep. Sippy cup for water and bottles for milk Open cup disasterous as she forgets she's holding it and spills everywhere.

Focussing on attachment has really helped. Just had first pain free feed from leftie. Very excited and greatful.