how to wean fast

For discussion of issues related to breastfeeding an older baby/child
jacqui_k_b

how to wean fast

Post by jacqui_k_b » Sat Sep 20, 2014 8:24 am

I am exhausted; actually that doesnt even describe the half of how I feel.
I have 3 children and have breastfed them all now my youngest is proving to be the most difficuilt
in transition to weaning.
He will not try a bottle; wont touch any formuals will halpily sio from a straw, a cup
or a sippy. But not with milk. Not ebm or otherwise.
Last night he went to bed at 630 and from 700 onwsrds up till 330 he continualky suckled
and had to be held. This is totally unnanageable I cannot functiin cannot attend to the other
children if needed as my eldest has a disability.
the whole household is over it. My husband isnt very helpful in the process of
weaning and I have no help.
What can I do. Mentally and physically im done and my milk is very thin now.
Yes it may be convenient to keep feeding but household pressures
are not making that easy. I don't get a vreak from him at all which obviousky is
unhelpful as he is constantly trying to get fed although on solids

Nedsmum

Re: how to wean fast

Post by Nedsmum » Sat Sep 20, 2014 8:44 am

How old?
Breastmilk - the ultimate 'brain food'!!!

fellare

Post by fellare » Sat Sep 20, 2014 9:18 am

Big hugs, that sounds really tough.

Do you feel up to calling the help line? They are trained to help weaning as well, a vital part of breastfeeding! 1800 686 268
Boobymonster weaned at 3.5yrs.
Ms Firestorm born august 2015
Whatever you perceive to believe, dream.... be free.... (eMDee)

jacqui_k_b

Post by jacqui_k_b » Sat Sep 20, 2014 9:33 am

I will have to give them a call, but to make things even better for me my iPhone blew up yesterday so currently without phone :(
He is a few weeks shy of 1

fellare

Post by fellare » Sat Sep 20, 2014 10:11 am

I wonder if he's picking up in your stress and wanting the comfort for reassurance. Could you keywords start with doing things that calm you?
Boobymonster weaned at 3.5yrs.
Ms Firestorm born august 2015
Whatever you perceive to believe, dream.... be free.... (eMDee)

PellyintheWilderness

Post by PellyintheWilderness » Sat Sep 20, 2014 10:41 am

That sounds really tough. You've done a wonderful job BFing him for almost a year, especially in challenging circumstances.
When you get a chance, do call the Helpline as it's important not to wean absolutely cold turkey - you could get blocked ducts or mastitis, which could make you really sick. Also sudden weaning could make your LO even more unsettled.
It's not easy when they won't drink - my eldest self-weaned very suddenly at 12 months and it took us a week to get her to drink anything else!
If he's nearly one you probably don't need to switch to formula, as long as he is getting water and meeting his nutritional needs through solids. You can put milk and yoghurt in his meals if he won't drink them.
Proud co-storker for AndyPandy (with mooki)
Proud co-storker for Jenbt85 (with AussieBritLu)

DD May 2005 bf 12 months
DS1 May 2005 bf 37 months
DS2 Nov 2011 bf 36 months
DS3 Nov 2011 bf 38 months

jacqui_k_b

Post by jacqui_k_b » Sat Sep 20, 2014 12:13 pm

Thank you for the suggestions, just this time around seems so much more complicated with him. I wish there were an easy way or a way for hubby to realise how draining it is!!
Wish me luck as tomorrow I'm supposed to be doing the city to bay with no sleep :shock: m

PellyintheWilderness

Post by PellyintheWilderness » Sat Sep 20, 2014 2:02 pm

Good luck! I hope your run is still fun, even without much sleep beforehand.
It might be possible to cut back on his feeds without weaning completely. Lots of mums on this forum have chosen to night wean or otherwise restrict feeds to certain times of day only - would that make life easier for you?
In my experience, a lot of men, especially breadwinning partners of stay-at-home mums, don't really "get" how draining the whole thing is. It's the relentlessness of it that I find really hard - I'm on call 24/7 and I get no holidays, sick days or even an occasional change of scene!
I grew up with a disabled sibling and I take my hat off to anyone who is caring for their disabled child at home, especially with other children as well.
Proud co-storker for AndyPandy (with mooki)
Proud co-storker for Jenbt85 (with AussieBritLu)

DD May 2005 bf 12 months
DS1 May 2005 bf 37 months
DS2 Nov 2011 bf 36 months
DS3 Nov 2011 bf 38 months

Yankee

Post by Yankee » Sat Sep 20, 2014 3:54 pm

Hi and welcome, I just thought I would add that if you can't call the helpline there is a page on the ABA website about weaning that might give you some ideas to start:

https://www.breastfeeding.asn.au/bf-inf ... ds/weaning

I wanted to also say that yeah, it can take them a bit of time to get used to drinking other liquids. Especially if your bub is currently drinking a lot of your breast milk, they probably won't be thirsty for other liquids at first. At 12 months you don't have to do formula and you don't even have to force cows milk (although you can offer the option). As long as they're getting calcium from other sources, some kids just don't like cows milk and that's ok. And as long as their wee is still clear and doesn't smell strong, they're probably getting enough fluids.

Big hugs, it sounds like you're juggling a lot!
DD born September 2013

Kleiners

how to wean fast

Post by Kleiners » Wed Sep 23, 2015 12:31 am

Weve made it to one year EBF and Im ready to start weaning. The twins technically are one this Friday but I already started DD on cows milk last week.

Id like to wean sooner than later as weve got an out of town trip without the twins in a couple weeks. I nurse approx 4x/day - first thing after they wake, after morning nap, after PM nap and just before bed. I work full time so I pump for the 2 mid day sessions during the week. I was planning to fully wean DD first, as shes taken to cows milk pretty good and DS is just getting over a stomach virus, is teething his 1st year molars and is having some sleep issues, plus hes a boob addict I was planning to get the two mid day sessions to cows milk first so I dont have to pump anymore, then work on the first thing in the am and just before bed session.

How long did it take you to wean? Did you go too fast, or too slow? Should I target weaning from one nursing session a week, so it would take a month total to wean? Thanks
Moderation is a fatal thing. Nothing succeeds like excess.

Nedsmum

Post by Nedsmum » Wed Sep 23, 2015 3:18 pm

If they are over 12 months, it is possible to wean without switching to bottles - for tooth reasons, bottles are not recommended after 12 months, and more than around 500mL of cows milk per day is (in my experience) considered "too much" as it is not a complete food...

So, I would perhaps ask the carer during the day to work with you to create more opportunities to eat solid foods, drink water from a small normal cup, and perhaps combine self-feeding and adult-assisted food. The 'norm' we have at work (I coordinate a long day care with babies as young as 4months old)... Is to offer water and food every 2-3 hours...we have morning snack, lunch, and two afternoon snacks as some do not go home until after 6pm for dinner...

It is possible to wean dramatically (instantly) from the breast, but of course then you risk mastitis as your breasts will be very challenged!

Be aware that there can also be a big mood swing for mum...it really 'calls' you back to breastfeeding....even when I was absolutely ready to wean my children, I still felt this for up to 4-6 weeks afterwards.

There is this massive 'clingy' period that starts around 10 months, peaks around 14 months and begins to fade around 18 months. So even if you do wean, it might not be the magic solution you are looking for- you may simply go from having a fussy clingy breastfed toddler, to a fussy clingy bottle-dependent toddler...

Nedsmum

Post by Nedsmum » Wed Sep 23, 2015 3:25 pm

Sorry, edited to add: I just realised you said 'EBF'....so your babies may already be on bottles... another option would be to reduce the amount of breastmilk and cutting one feed at a time.... it is also possible to mix formula and breastmilk...or reduce the amount in each bottle but keep expressing the same amount for a few weeks so you have a bit of reserve, then you have a bit of space to ease of the expressing more quickly...

From a 'health' point of view, some breastmilk is better than none, so I would personally feel more comfortable keeping perhaps one bottle of EBM per day (but maybe not a huge amount in the bottle) for a longer time, than rapidly weaning completely...usually it is the night time or early morning feed that is the 'last to go' when weaning happens gradually over time...