Weaning my 26 month old cold turkey

For discussion of issues related to breastfeeding an older baby/child
Naree

Weaning my 26 month old cold turkey

Post by Naree » Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:00 pm

My daughter has never slept through the night and wakes 3,4 or 5 times and usually all else fails and I give into breastfeeding her. After doing it for over two years I am super exhausted and thought it was time to stop and maybe she might start to sleep better. I thought gradually weaning her would not work as I have tried before so decided to put some lemon juice on my nipples and she had a taste and said yucky. Last night was the first night and only had one little suck of one side and said yucky and then just wanted cuddles. So it has been over 24 hours now and just wandering my boobs are very full and pretty sore. I have been gently letting out a bit when feels too full. Not too sure if I am doing the right thing. Some friends of mine said I would need to get tablets from my doctor to dry it up. I would prefer not to. Any help or advice would be welcome thank you.

Nedsmum

Re: Weaning my 26 month old cold turkey

Post by Nedsmum » Thu Feb 16, 2017 5:47 am

What you describe is very similar to my experience - express if you need to for comfort and to avoid mastitis... it will settle down.

What caught me out with all three kids were the mood swings (like severe PMS) for maybe up to 6 weeks after weaning... be kind to yourself over this time and take it easy.

From what I understand, the medication 'to dry the milk up' is not necessary... certainly the only person I know who took medication, it was because of rapid weaning of a very small newborn, within a month of birth... and the medication only worked as long as she took it (she actually decided after a week to go back to breastfeeding, stopped taking the medication and went on to breastfeed for up to a year longer!
Breastmilk - the ultimate 'brain food'!!!

Naree

Re: Weaning my 26 month old cold turkey

Post by Naree » Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:50 pm

Thank you I am feeling much better. Day 4 and my breasts are not hurting no where near as bad. My daughter however has been amazing at not wanted titty at all however she does not want to sleep in the day but makes it to about 3 and then has a little sleep but is way too late in the day and then doesn't go to bed till 930 or ten. I think it will take a bit to re adjust.