Night weaning mr20 months

For discussion of issues related to breastfeeding an older baby/child
Star80

Night weaning mr20 months

Post by Star80 » Tue Aug 02, 2016 12:32 pm

Wish me luck as I prepare to night wean mr20 months this coming Friday/Saturday/Sunday night.
He has started to get very cranky when he wakes up asking for a feed and I've had enough.
My other 3 were night weaned at 10 months without too much drama but I think he is better than expressing himself now that he's older and it won't go down without a fight.
Aaaagh.

Esther

Re: Night weaning mr20 months

Post by Esther » Tue Aug 02, 2016 1:15 pm

Good luck. I night weaned all of mine around this age and it usually ended up being easier than I feared. It worked better if I did the night weaning, rather than DP, but that's just what worked for us best.
Esther
DD1 05, DS 08, BB 11, DD2 12
Storked by nat*4
Storked Ellie's Mum, foggylog, jessiemay, Ducks & nat*4

Star80

Post by Star80 » Tue Aug 02, 2016 4:33 pm

Any tips?? Helppp

mummymanda

Post by mummymanda » Sat Aug 20, 2016 9:55 am

How did you go? I actually found 20 months easier weaning time than 24 months. I had another sippy cup that I used for a different drink and this worked well. Lots of re-assurance and cuddles. The feed to sleep I decreased in time and this worked too but for some completely stopping and lots of cuddles etc works better. I think I changed up the bed routine for DD3 and we did story instead and a cuddle with a blanket, you could also do patting in bed etc if you don't feel like you can do the cuddle thing I totally get that. I also had a star projection pillow $10 from the K shop that really worked well as a distraction for DD3 and I would really talk up the new routine. DD3 also had 2 special dolls to cuddle which took the edge off. However DD3 was/is a totally different child to the other 3 and has a different level of understanding. DD2 her weaning came at double the age of DD3 and none of those things really worked.

Good luck I hope you had lots of success