Pyloric stenosis and bf

For discussion of issues related to breastfeeding an older baby/child
Star80

Pyloric stenosis and bf

Post by Star80 » Thu Jul 28, 2016 8:17 pm

I'm not even sure where to post or what I'm really asking..
DS3 is 19 months old. He had pyloric stenosis when we he was 10 days old and surgery when he was 15 days old.
He has had irregular bowel movements on and off in his little life , to the point we had to use suppositories to get him going about 6 months ago.
Recently he has slowed down again to doing a poo every 4-5 days. He is breasted 4-6 times in a 24 hour period. The last 2 weeks he's been on antibiotics and normal id say (with my other 3 kiddos) this would cause diahorea but not with this little man).
He isn't the worlds best eater (or drinker of anything other than when he has a feed).

Wondering if anyone else has had a child with PS and whether this is normal?
Or a child who has been so irregular? And if so, what do I do?

I am planning to go back to my wonderful Gp but thought in the mean time to ask all the mummies out there.
I'm also considering starting him on probiotics and seeing whether that doesn't help his little gut.

ClOuD_NiNe

Re: Pyloric stenosis and bf

Post by ClOuD_NiNe » Sat Jul 30, 2016 7:08 am

Hi! I have no experience with PS, I'm sorry your little man went through that.

I can share my experience with an infrequent pooer though. DD had constipation issues from the moment she started solids. She had IV antibiotics after birth and I suspect this may have been a contributing factor. A gut healing diet improved things although I never stuck with it for any length of time. I noticed that whenever we slipped back into old ways and gave her too much wheat it made her constipation worse. So we ended up eliminating wheat for a while and then restricting it to only once or twice a week.

It's definitely worth introducing probiotics or probiotic food/drink (sauerkraut, kefir, kombucha). Although ive found that probiotic supplements on their own can make constipation worse - members of my family and others I've talked to have found the same, I'm not sure why this would be?! But I've found that consuming probiotic drink/food as well as the supplements regulates things.

DD is now almost 3.5. She's been on a prescription medicine for constipation the last few months as things got pretty bad when we moved house and I wasn't keeping a close eye on her diet. Her prescription finished about 3 weeks ago and I thought we'd see how she goes without it, and she's been having soft regular bowel movements every day since! We are still restricting wheat and I try to give her water kefir when I remember. Other than that she eats a fairly normal diet.

So that's been our experience, not sure if that helps? Visiting your GP sounds like a good start, at the very least he/she can give your DS some medication to get him going more regularly. Once every 4-5 days sounds pretty uncomfortable. Is he eating much solids? I found our GP wasn't any help regarding diet or gut health though, so if you wanted to investigate those further you may have to see a dietician or naturopath.
DS July 11 - bf for 10 months
Storked by the lovely mooki
~WildChild~ was my storker