Starting Childcare and BF

For discussion of issues related to breastfeeding an older baby/child
ztrudgeon

Starting Childcare and BF

Post by ztrudgeon » Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:42 pm

Hi,

my little girl is coming up to 17 months old. She's still breast feeding 3 times a day - morning, after midday nap, and before bed. Shes never been a fan of a bottle or expressed milk so far, so we gave up trying many moons ago. She's never had formula as it's never been needed

She's going to start 2 days a week childcare in just under a month, as I have to go back to work. I'm not sure what to do about the midday feed? Anyone been here before?

Current thoughts/options (all muddled up) as I see them...

Express, and hope they can get her to take a cup/bottle. (how/when would I express? it's been a while!! Does it even work now that supply is so well established???)

Just skip the feed, she can have some sort of milk instead...? (no idea how this works - what do they have at this age? we've never needed to look at this before!)

I'm sure there's other options, and ways to go about it, but... I'm stumped. Anyone got some ideas to help me with this?

Thanks so much!

Nedsmum

Re: Starting Childcare and BF

Post by Nedsmum » Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:24 pm

Personally, at 17 months I'd just skip the feed, and the childcare should not be pushing bottles - at that age bottles are not necessary. I breastfed my babies/toddlers (3 of them) well past 2 and they never had bottles. The two younger ones started childcare around 16-18 months two days a week and on the childcare days they had normal food/drink and on the other days they breastfed as normal. The only problem I had was with skipping feeds (needing to express 'for comfort'). Don't be suprised if you feed more frequently overnight or on the other days, 'catching up' for the childcare days...
Breastmilk - the ultimate 'brain food'!!!

ztrudgeon

Post by ztrudgeon » Sat Jul 30, 2016 7:01 pm

Awesome, thanks for that.
So on the Childcare days... What did they have to drink instead? All mine currently has is water!

Nedsmum

Post by Nedsmum » Mon Sep 05, 2016 1:28 am

Water, maybe 'milk' from a cup and plenty of watery foods... water is absolutely fine!

Penguin

Post by Penguin » Mon Sep 05, 2016 8:44 pm

MIne had cows' milk at daycare at that age. DD1 had one small bottle, DD2 is in five days a week and I leave a 2L bottle at daycare on Monday. I wouldn't think you would need to bother with the whole expressing palaver.
DD1 May 2011
Super baby Dec 2013
DD2 Feb 2015 Storked by Parla.
Proud storker: michansam's DS3, katsbi's DD3 and Gwen's mum's DS

Nedsmum

Post by Nedsmum » Mon Sep 05, 2016 9:42 pm

Just wanted to add, it's absolutely possible to breastfeed as your 'normal' pattern on the non-childcare days.... and then have the break on the childcare days, but you might need to express (for comfort) as you may find your breasts get really full on your work days... you might also find she feeds a lot overnight or on the non-childcare days - partly to catch up on the milk, and partly to reconnect with you - it'll settle down eventually...