Re lactating a 3yr old

For discussion of issues related to breastfeeding an older baby/child
fellare

Re lactating a 3yr old

Post by fellare » Thu Aug 13, 2015 11:09 am

Any tips? He's had a few sucks. Seems surprised the milk is back like I told him it would be. He weaned only 6-8 weeks ago and I'm keen to have him feed another two years. Just time? Or is there anything I can do to encourage him to have more than three sucks at a time. Would love to hear other experiences.
Boobymonster weaned at 3.5yrs.
Ms Firestorm born august 2015
Whatever you perceive to believe, dream.... be free.... (eMDee)

JMc

Re: Re lactating a 3yr old

Post by JMc » Thu Aug 13, 2015 1:12 pm

Does he like the milk? Or is that the problem, he's not too sure about it? Maybe try squirting it into his mouth?

Is you milk in? Or still colostrum?
DD - November 2009 (Breastfed 19 months)
DS1 - August 2011 (Breastfed 2 years and 8 months)
DS2 - November 2014 (Breastfeeding happily)

MamaMagoO?

Post by MamaMagoO? » Thu Aug 13, 2015 4:05 pm

Little Magoo weaned when he was 3 after my milk came in for Miss Magoo. He did not like the change in flavour and was very disappointed. A couple of months later he decided he wanted to have another go but he had completely forgotten how to latch and it was just a very uncomfortable and disappointing experience for both of us. So I expressed a bit for him and he still didn't like the taste :roll: . So from my perspective if he still knows what to do and is willing to do it then you're doing great. Even if it is only for 3 sucks at a time. I reckon the more relaxed you are about it the more likely he will be to come back for more but he may just be too busy now and has moved on to some extent.

Now I'm going to be a pedant (I'm really sorry but I just have to say something) but you can't relactate a child. A mother can relactate for her child but the child is feeding not lactating. You have relactated for DD and now you are hoping to encourage DS back to the breast.

Sorry.... :roll: :oops:
Little Magoo 07/08. Breastfed for 3yrs3mths.
Miss Magoo 10/11. Breastfed for 4yrs3mths.

Karleen

Post by Karleen » Thu Aug 13, 2015 6:32 pm

Kids this age either want to breastfeed or they don't, they don't really care what the mum wants (ask any mum who's trying to wean a 3 yo whose very keen)....so you can offer but he may or may not want to start again.
Karleen

Mummy woo!
Site Admin

Post by Mummy woo! » Thu Aug 13, 2015 7:28 pm

I'd let him just keep going with three sucks here or there and see what happens. As Karleen says, you can't really do much to make him breastfeed beyond providing opportunities. Lovely that he is going to have the opportunity if he wants it.
It's OK Pluto, I'm not a planet either

fellare

Post by fellare » Fri Aug 14, 2015 4:09 am

Lol mm, you are so right.
he likes the taste, ive given him expressed milk. Ill probably keep doing that anyway as its cheaper and healthier than soy milk. Milk is certainly in with some passion. Hope we dont have months of engorgement again. Another reason to get him back, he's way quicker than the pump.
ill just keep offering and see how it goes.
Boobymonster weaned at 3.5yrs.
Ms Firestorm born august 2015
Whatever you perceive to believe, dream.... be free.... (eMDee)

Mummy woo!
Site Admin

Post by Mummy woo! » Fri Aug 14, 2015 6:57 pm

fellare wrote:Lol mm, you are so right.
he likes the taste, ive given him expressed milk. Ill probably keep doing that anyway as its cheaper and healthier than soy milk. Milk is certainly in with some passion. Hope we dont have months of engorgement again. Another reason to get him back, he's way quicker than the pump.
ill just keep offering and see how it goes.
I asked Oobiwoo to have a feed to help with sore breasts when Mrs Moops was newborn and for weeks after he would ask 'are your breasts sore Mummy?' instead of 'can I have mummymilk?' :wink:
It's OK Pluto, I'm not a planet either