Apart for 48 plus hours

For discussion of issues related to breastfeeding an older baby/child
A+D

Apart for 48 plus hours

Post by A+D » Wed Jul 08, 2015 5:25 pm

I'm going to the WA ABA conference when dd2 will be 21 months, I feel like I would get nothing out of the weekend if she was with me, so we have decided she will go with dh to his parents, 3 hours away. We only see them about twice a year, and staying in the city will drive him insane, plus we'd have to pay for their accommodation, so this plan makes sense. But do you think there is a possibility she will decide to stop BFing in that time apart, or my milk supply could dwindle? She is in daycare 2 days a week, so we regularly go 9 hours without feeding, but when we are together, she is a pretty regular feeder. I am telling myself it is unlikely she will lose interest and if she did, she will be pretty close to 2.... but I stopped direct BFing and EEing for my older kids much earlier than I would have liked, so I have always been adamant that she will stop when she is ready, and actually I would be pretty upset if we did. Any experiences or suggestions?
Mum to
DS1 - Nov 2009
DD1 and DS2 - Oct 2011
DD2 - Dec 2013

Mummy woo!
Site Admin

Re: Apart for 48 plus hours

Post by Mummy woo! » Wed Jul 08, 2015 6:17 pm

I have had a few trips away from Mrs Moops of that duration when she was 2.5 and 3.5 and neither resulted in weaning so my sample size of one says probably not.

But I know others for whom that would be enough for weaning. I think for toddlers and young children who wean after a short separation, they were probably close to weaning anyway if that makes sense?
It's OK Pluto, I'm not a planet either

FeeBee

Post by FeeBee » Wed Jul 08, 2015 7:26 pm

I went to Liquid Gold when DS2 was 23mths and at daycare 3 days a week; my wistful plans that it would be a weaning holiday were just that, wistful! DS2 didn't hesitate to resume feeding on my return. At 28mths I was away for 6 days and didn't need to express at all for comfort while away. This strengthened my resolve that I would wean and so refused feeds when I got back. He would have happily resumed feeding, and was unimpressed, but got used to it after a week or so.

mooki
Site Admin

Post by mooki » Wed Jul 08, 2015 8:04 pm

how dedicated is she now? I think if shes an enthusiastic feeder, she is likely to come back no problems. I can understand why you would be hesitant but also understand why you want to attend conference on your own too. Tricky!

whitto04

Post by whitto04 » Thu Jul 09, 2015 6:58 am

there is no guarantee either way.
I was away from DD#3 for a week, when she was 4 years old. Her latch was deteriorating prior to the trip, but a week away meant she lost it. She still asks to try and latch on again, nearly 2 years later. She wasn't ready for it.
With DD#4, I had a week away, 2 weeks home, 2 weeks away, when she was almost 2.5 years old. I expressed for comfort and supply, and she was desperate to feed on my return.
DD#1-1999, BF 12 months.
DD#2-2006, BF 5 yrs 8 months
DD#3-2009 (born at home), BF 4 yrs 2 months
DD#4-2012 (born at home), no longer sharing with her sister!
11 years of continuous lactation!!!!!

A+D

Post by A+D » Thu Jul 09, 2015 10:06 pm

Thanks guys, she is pretty dedicated to her milk, so I guess it will just be a wait and see situation. I am looking forward to some child free time, I might sleep for more than 3 hours in a row for the first time in 21 months! Or I might stay awake all night worrying about her. She will be fine with the rest of the family.
Mum to
DS1 - Nov 2009
DD1 and DS2 - Oct 2011
DD2 - Dec 2013