Intense night feeding/teething

For discussion of issues related to breastfeeding an older baby/child
Bethanda

Intense night feeding/teething

Post by Bethanda » Mon Apr 30, 2018 2:43 pm

Hi all,

I'm just wanting some reassurance and solidarity regarding intense night feeding/waking. My 2yr old daughter wakes multiple times to nurse and will only sleep tucked up in my arms (and has been for a least a year). If I try to lay her beside me, she wakes after 10mins calling for me. Even in my arms, she still wakes every 1-2 hrs. I love supporting her through the night, but it really is full-on, particularly as her nursing can be fussy and damage my nipples. I attribute most of her wakings and fussy nursing to teething, which seems to bother her months before they erupt (and has been going on continuously since she was 5 months old).

Please reassure me that this is normal and will pass.

Did anyone else have similar issues with teething? Sometimes I feel that my daughter is the worse teether in the world ;)

Did anyone have any similar issues and make GENTLE changes successfully?

TIA!

snowie

Re: Intense night feeding/teething

Post by snowie » Tue May 01, 2018 10:32 am

Hello and welcome to the forum
I've had experience with breastfeeding two children beyond 2 years old. Both my girls had phases where there were many overnight wakings and usually around teething. The two-year-old molars, in particular, were a trying time.
We moved my now 3.5yo into her own bed over 12 months ago and she still arrives in our bed, well the side-car cot during the night, every single night! The time of arrival has been pushed back naturally, by her own doing, from about 12 midnight to about 3 or 4 am. Last night, though, she arrived early and then she fed multiple times, this would be due to feeling cold as she only had her pyjamas on and kept kicking the blanket off!

My older girl stopped her multiple overnight feedings around the same age, i.e. about 2.5 - 3.5 years old. Setting up a side-car cot was an absolute lifesaver for us.
Never forgetting our angel babies

Bethanda

Re: Intense night feeding/teething

Post by Bethanda » Wed May 02, 2018 12:32 pm

Hi Snowie, thanks for your reply.

It's great to know that it's not just me ha ha. We are going through the two year old molars now and they really are tough on all of us.

I have tried a mattress beside our floor bed, but she wakes just as often, if not more. I find it tiring to move over to her rather than just rolling her on to the other boob ha ha. I guess I could try this again in time, after her teething has finished.

My daugher also kicks the covers off - even when it's freezing 😉

Thanks again.