How to RE-settle if night weaning

How, when and why to introduce foods other than breastmilk
Evelyn76

How to RE-settle if night weaning

Post by Evelyn76 » Fri Mar 13, 2015 8:34 pm

I think my baby (14 months) could probably go to sleep without BF quite often. However, there have been times throughout the last 14 months when baby's woken still tired and a BF has been the only way to get baby back to sleep- works like a charm! But If don't do it, just cries & cries because so tired and can't get back to sleep. Am scared that if I night wean, then baby won't resettle.

Does anyone know of any way to get such a baby back to sleep that doesn't involve milk?? ...Have tried giving water instead, but baby likes "water-play" a little too much!! (-don't want baby sleeping in a wet PJs/ sheets and definitely no water in our bed!!)

kingofthedivan

Re: How to RE-settle if night weaning

Post by kingofthedivan » Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:42 pm

I could have written this exact same post! Not sure I have anything constructive to suggest except for solidarity with you on this one. *sometimes* strong pats on the tummy or back work, or stroking bub's head... My one has a couple of teeth coming through at the moment so I figure when that has settled down we might try night weaning. It's so tempting, especially with work.
Good luck!!

Penguin

Post by Penguin » Sat Mar 14, 2015 9:20 am

Is there a reason you want to stop feeding back to sleep? If you want to stop then that's one thing but if it works quickly and it's easy and you don't mind doing it, then I'd jsut keep feeding back to sleep until bub stops waking and/or you get sick of it. If it ain't broke, don't fix it :)
But if you're sick of it that's a different story.
DD1 May 2011
Super baby Dec 2013
DD2 Feb 2015 Storked by Parla.
Proud storker: michansam's DS3, katsbi's DD3 and Gwen's mum's DS

ClOuD_NiNe

Post by ClOuD_NiNe » Sat Mar 14, 2015 9:33 am

When I nightweaned DD I managed to resettle her with just a cuddle and saying "shhh you can go back to sleep now" while laying next to her. She was a bit older though (19 months). She went through some huge developmental changes around 16-18 months and it was after that I decided she was ready. Before that I think I would have had a hard time resettling without boob.
DS July 11 - bf for 10 months
Storked by the lovely mooki
~WildChild~ was my storker

Evelyn76

Post by Evelyn76 » Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:59 pm

Penguin wrote:Is there a reason you want to stop feeding back to sleep? If you want to stop then that's one thing but if it works quickly and it's easy and you don't mind doing it, then I'd jsut keep feeding back to sleep until bub stops waking and/or you get sick of it. If it ain't broke, don't fix it :)
But if you're sick of it that's a different story.
Yes, am getting rather fatigued... would like to ultimately wean both from the breast and parental bed. Would like to wean full stop. I mean I say that and part of me is very sad and will miss it- so it'll be a grieving process for me too. But the rest of me is quite determined that this needs to happen for the sake of my overall wellbeing.
I realise that a lot of people don't have these fatigue issues with BF and, if I was like them, then I would keep going for as long as bub wanted... Happily keep going! But sadly I'm not, so I need to take action. But I don't want to take action that is just going to end up with both bub and I getting less sleep! Not when the ultimate goal is less fatigue!!! Feels like a catch-22 :(

Evelyn76

Post by Evelyn76 » Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:01 pm

ClOuD_NiNe wrote:When I nightweaned DD I managed to resettle her with just a cuddle and saying "shhh you can go back to sleep now" while laying next to her. She was a bit older though (19 months). She went through some huge developmental changes around 16-18 months and it was after that I decided she was ready. Before that I think I would have had a hard time resettling without boob.
What were the developmental changes that persuaded u she was ready?

ClOuD_NiNe

Post by ClOuD_NiNe » Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:40 pm

Evelyn76 wrote:
ClOuD_NiNe wrote:When I nightweaned DD I managed to resettle her with just a cuddle and saying "shhh you can go back to sleep now" while laying next to her. She was a bit older though (19 months). She went through some huge developmental changes around 16-18 months and it was after that I decided she was ready. Before that I think I would have had a hard time resettling without boob.
What were the developmental changes that persuaded u she was ready?
How could I describe DD... a boobaholic velcro baby! Even as a little baby she would only settle for me. She hit the separation anxiety phase hard, from around 8-12 months she would scream bloody murder if anyone else picked her up. I tried doing a pilates class and she screamed for the whole hour. She wouldn't even let DH bath her in the evenings. She fed roughly every 2 hours round the clock for the first 12 months, and I wore her a lot due to her clinginess, she was totally happy whenever she was with me or could see me - if I left the room without her then all hell broke loose! She started to slowly get better after 12 months, then around 16-18 months she started doing things she'd never have done previously... she let DH bath her, she gave a hug to a friend of ours who was staying with us (he'd been staying with us for 5 months on and off before she got brave enough to do this!), she let random friends and even some strangers pick her up without crying. A few times in crowds of people she decided she would do a runner, where before that she would never have left my side! She also started talking a lot and understanding so much more. When I started talking to her about only having "mimi" when the sun shines, she would repeat it back to me and talk about it at other times during the day. I knew she understood. Does that make sense?
DS July 11 - bf for 10 months
Storked by the lovely mooki
~WildChild~ was my storker

Evelyn76

Post by Evelyn76 » Sun Mar 22, 2015 2:50 am

Yes. She developed a greater sense of herself as a separate person and she took a leap in her cognitive and language development too. All your incredibly hard work suddenly paid off, in terms of her feeling more secure in herself. So she was able to understand and accept the night weaning a bit more on her own terms. That is remarkable!! ...Truly amazing and hope-giving for us all :)