To start solids or not... That is the question!

How, when and why to introduce foods other than breastmilk
Nicwwjd

To start solids or not... That is the question!

Post by Nicwwjd » Sat Feb 28, 2015 8:20 pm

So DD is 5 months today. I know the recommendation for starting solids is 6 months, and that is what I would ideally like to do.
But.... In the past fortnight she has gone from 6 feeds/ day to 8 and is waking for 2 feeds overnight (plus the other time she needs resettling), where previously she was only waking for one feed, if any. In the last 9 days she has gained approx 350g and is now 8.1kg :shock: she's got great head control and watches me eating like a hawk.

So in your opinion (happy for all perspectives)... Would you start solids now or wait another 4 weeks? I'm in a quandary!

I'm looking forward to your thoughts!
DS Feb 2012
DD Sept 2014

Baby Blue Eyes

Re: To start solids or not... That is the question!

Post by Baby Blue Eyes » Sat Feb 28, 2015 8:26 pm

has the weather been hotter the last couple of weeks? she could be just feeding more due to needing a 'drink' personally I would wait the extra 4 weeks only because it wont harm her for waiting but could cause issues in starting early
DS1 - b/f 4 yrs
DS2 - b/f 3yrs 11mths
DS3 - B/F 4yrs 10 mths

Nicwwjd

Post by Nicwwjd » Sat Feb 28, 2015 8:36 pm

That's true BBE's. It has been hot here! During the day some of her feeds are definitely thirsty rather than hungry feeds, now that you mention it! Thanks!
DS Feb 2012
DD Sept 2014

ClOuD_NiNe

Post by ClOuD_NiNe » Sat Feb 28, 2015 8:55 pm

There is also a fussy phase that happens around this age called the 4 Month Monsters (otherwise known as the 4 month sleep regression or 19 week Wonder Week). It's so common there is even a sticky about it in the General Parenting section of the forum! Lots of parents report increased feeding and waking at this age.

Have you looked into baby led weaning? It's a good way to introduce solids at the baby's pace by offering family foods, so the baby feeds him/herself. If baby is not ready for food they will just play with it or have a taste and spit it out. When they're ready they'll eat!
DS July 11 - bf for 10 months
Storked by the lovely mooki
~WildChild~ was my storker

Mummy woo!
Site Admin

Post by Mummy woo! » Sat Feb 28, 2015 10:27 pm

It is only another month. it will be gone in a flash.
It's OK Pluto, I'm not a planet either

PellyintheWilderness

Post by PellyintheWilderness » Sat Feb 28, 2015 10:59 pm

DD and DS1 did that at the same age, and not knowing any better, I started solids. Didn't make a scrap of difference. If I had my time over I'd have waited with the solids. With DS 2&3 I did baby-led weaning from about 6.5 months (after DS3 reached up and grabbed my sandwich for a taste one day!).
Proud co-storker for AndyPandy (with mooki)
Proud co-storker for Jenbt85 (with AussieBritLu)

DD May 2005 bf 12 months
DS1 May 2005 bf 37 months
DS2 Nov 2011 bf 36 months
DS3 Nov 2011 bf 38 months

Nicwwjd

Post by Nicwwjd » Sun Mar 01, 2015 8:39 am

Thanks ladies! The 4 month monsters appeared a while ago but improved... When they showed up it was waking a but not hunger overnight. Last night was one resettle and one feed so I'm Feeling much better today! You're right Mummy Woo- its only another month- that's nothing in the scheme of things! Long term perspective!

I'm keen to try blw - a little nervous about it, but after doing purée etc with DS, I like the idea of blw! I'm going to hunt down The book and have a read! I've been reading stuff on the net, but there's nothing like a book in your hand! :)
DS Feb 2012
DD Sept 2014

snowie

Post by snowie » Sun Mar 01, 2015 10:45 am

:smt006 I'm there with you too. I've been tempted to start DD2, but I also know that I waited for 6 months for DD1. So I'm waiting.

There is another wonder week around this age too, DD2 has just gone through another unsettled phase. I've decided that with the licking of the floor that she has decided to do now, that there is enough going into her from the floor to give her gut a work out in my opinion. :lol:

I've started putting DD2 into a high chair and have given her a baby spoon to play with while we eat. I'm not even sure what I'll start her on - possibly sweet potato or apple that has been soften by cooking but is still in pieces.
Never forgetting our angel babies

PellyintheWilderness

Post by PellyintheWilderness » Sun Mar 01, 2015 11:27 am

BLW is Da Bomb, IMO. We started DS 2&3 with pieces of roast dinner - carrots cut into chunky sticks, chunks of roasted potato, and lamb cutlet bones with bits to gnung on. Broccoli trees are also wonderful! I loved not having to make or buy baby goop. The littlies also learned to use cutlery much earlier than the older ones, and eat a much broader selection of foods.

I highly recommend the book. There's also a short DVD which you may be able to access through your local ABA group, and a cookbook to give you some ideas.

A couple of things you may find handy: a puddle feeder (nylon smock with a pocket, available cheaply from Mothers Direct) and the weekend newspaper (enough for a weeks' worth of under-highchair floor protection).
Proud co-storker for AndyPandy (with mooki)
Proud co-storker for Jenbt85 (with AussieBritLu)

DD May 2005 bf 12 months
DS1 May 2005 bf 37 months
DS2 Nov 2011 bf 36 months
DS3 Nov 2011 bf 38 months

Mummy woo!
Site Admin

Post by Mummy woo! » Sun Mar 01, 2015 11:36 am

If you are an ABA member you should also be able to access back issues of Essence on MyABA - there was a great article on BLW in January 2008 I think - the magazine has a cover picture of a foot with a swirl of green fabric around it.

We did BLW with both mine and had great experiences. We have some food issues now, but up until they were three they ate literally anything. (think blood sausage and chicken foot soup from the Thai food festival anything - blergh!) When we were travelling in country NSW for a holiday when they were 9 months and 3 and a bit we would order a roast dinner, no gravy and two plates - they would get through a pub-sized roast dinner and the staff were usually so amused they would bring more food. It was a hoot.
It's OK Pluto, I'm not a planet either

ClOuD_NiNe

Post by ClOuD_NiNe » Sun Mar 01, 2015 3:26 pm

Mummy woo! wrote:If you are an ABA member you should also be able to access back issues of Essence on MyABA - there was a great article on BLW in January 2008 I think - the magazine has a cover picture of a foot with a swirl of green fabric around it.
Wow, I am so impressed that you remembered this MW!! Baby brain? Pffft...
DS July 11 - bf for 10 months
Storked by the lovely mooki
~WildChild~ was my storker

Yankee

Post by Yankee » Sun Mar 01, 2015 4:24 pm

I enjoyed blw and the book, although I found it a bit preachy. I just remember an FAQS along the lines of "can I do both purée and BLW?" And whilst it didn't say 'no' I remember the answer being something along the lines of "you don't need to because BLW does it all." It made me feel like I was doing it wrong if I held her yogurt spoon for her iykwim. If I did it again I would be more relaxed about it!
DD born September 2013

Nicwwjd

Post by Nicwwjd » Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:22 pm

Thnks everyone! I love hearing your stories! And thanks for your advice too! Plastic table cloth under high chair organised and scoops bib ready to go! DS was and still is a very neat and clean eater... I don't think DD will follow suit for some reason! Lol!
Snowie- it's reassuring to know we're not alone! :) I remember DS doing something similar too... But not to this extent! I too am thinking sweet potato or avocado as first taste!

Yankee- a bit of both and whatever combination works is my plan too! Blw for the most part is what I will set out to do, but I'm not against helping with a spoon. Thanks for the heads up about the book .

I'm sure I will be asking many more questions once we start!
DS Feb 2012
DD Sept 2014

Jenbt85

Post by Jenbt85 » Tue Mar 03, 2015 11:04 am

Just to throw out there that we started at 5 months. We did blw predominantly and puree when teething later on. From 5 months DS could feed himself with a spoon (sadly something he now doesn't bother with as hands are quicker) and wolfed down banana. He was grabbing for food and watching me eat in a way that was eerily reminiscent of the labrador I grew up with (lol).

If I felt DD was ready at that age, I'd probably introduce solids earlier than six months (ie between five and six) again. If she isn't fussed by solids, I'll delay too.
DS - bf 18.5 months (565 days)!
DD - breastfeeding

Storked by the fabulous forumites: AussieBritLu and PellyintheWilderness

Openly storking AussieBritLu

AussieBritLu
Community Educator

Post by AussieBritLu » Tue Mar 03, 2015 11:35 am

I started with my DD at 4 months with purees and when she got to 6 months we started introducing pieces of broccoli etc. she would gag and choke on the pieces a few times before getting the hang of it.
I was also told to start her on solids by HP's.

With my DS I held off until the 6 month mark and even though he was showing signs of being ready earlier, he clearly wasn't...when we tried BLW, he would gag and throw up on the first bit and he would then refuse....he was the same with puree's aswell...we persisted and kept offering him food whenever we ate......it wasn't until just before his first birthday that he really started to enjoy the food (that was when he wasn't throwing/dropping it everywhere else) and wasn't gagging with every food he was eating. He is now 2 and eats far better than DD does......he is a little fussy when it comes to the hard foods to chew (ie, meat) but he is no way near as fussy as DD is with food altogether!

Best of luck with your decision.
DD1/2011 - FF
DS/2013 - BF 2yr4m. Weaned :-)
DD2/2016 - BF 21mths. Weaned :-/
Storked pseudo, lilypad & Vahvempi. Co-storked with Pelly for Jenbt85!
Storked by Giff for DS & Jenbt85 for DD2.