Dropping feeds when you feed to sleep

How, when and why to introduce foods other than breastmilk
ClOuD_NiNe

Dropping feeds when you feed to sleep

Post by ClOuD_NiNe » Wed Dec 17, 2014 12:45 am

Since nightweaing a couple of months ago, DD now feeds about 3-5 times in 24 hours - early morning (4 or 5am), nap time and bed time, and sometimes in between.

It turns out that breastfeeding is a fail safe contraceptive for me, I had to wean DS completely to fall pregnant with DD. 21 months after her birth I am still waiting for my cycles to return so that we can TTC #3 - I'm charting my temps and am definitely not ovulating. I was hoping night weaning would kick start things but no luck yet.

I'm thinking of cutting down her feeds to only 1 or 2 a day, but she feeds to sleep and I have no idea how to get her to sleep otherwise. She'll fall asleep in a carrier or pram or car but won't transfer to the bed without waking.

Looking for advice/experience from others who have weaned off feeding to sleep - how did you do it? Any tips greatfully received!
DS July 11 - bf for 10 months
Storked by the lovely mooki
~WildChild~ was my storker

Jenbt85

Re: Dropping feeds when you feed to sleep

Post by Jenbt85 » Wed Dec 17, 2014 6:37 am

We rocked / patted to sleep but found that created a habit :( Depending on how you feel about bottles, we started giving a bottle of milk before bed.

I saw in another thread that you're feeling flat about this. Big hugs. Weaning can be a difficult process if you are doing it before you wanted to. Be gentle with yourself through it. Could the stuff your naturopath has given you just be taking its time to work?
DS - bf 18.5 months (565 days)!
DD - breastfeeding

Storked by the fabulous forumites: AussieBritLu and PellyintheWilderness

Openly storking AussieBritLu

ClOuD_NiNe

Post by ClOuD_NiNe » Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:30 am

I'm not sure I want to give her a bottle. She's almost 21 months and never taken one before. I wouldn't mind patting to sleep, rocking might be hard as she is over 12kg now.

It's possible that the stuff the naturopath gave me is taking its time to work. I should try to be patient! :wink: I've forgotten how much I hate TTC!

JMc

Post by JMc » Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:45 am

Hmm... DS stopped napping when I stopped feeding him to sleep. So I'm not much help. But at night time we just stuck to our normal routine (bath, books, bed) and I lay with him instead of feeding. Took him a long time to fall asleep at first, but he got better quickly.
DD - November 2009 (Breastfed 19 months)
DS1 - August 2011 (Breastfed 2 years and 8 months)
DS2 - November 2014 (Breastfeeding happily)

Penguin

Post by Penguin » Wed Dec 17, 2014 11:33 am

pregnancy was what worked for me, which really isn't helpful at all, sorry.
DD1 May 2011
Super baby Dec 2013
DD2 Feb 2015 Storked by Parla.
Proud storker: michansam's DS3, katsbi's DD3 and Gwen's mum's DS

PellyintheWilderness

Post by PellyintheWilderness » Wed Dec 17, 2014 12:09 pm

Maybe do something else during the feed (sing some special bedtime-only songs) and see if you can move across to just doing that?

DS3 has only fairly recently not needed to be fed to sleep. He would have a feed but not fall asleep. I lie next to him and sing a couple of gentle songs, and he drifts off. Now we've got to the stage where he only asks for a feed every two or three nights. We co-sleep, so he still needs one of us there to fall asleep and stay that way. That's our upcoming challenge!
Proud co-storker for AndyPandy (with mooki)
Proud co-storker for Jenbt85 (with AussieBritLu)

DD May 2005 bf 12 months
DS1 May 2005 bf 37 months
DS2 Nov 2011 bf 36 months
DS3 Nov 2011 bf 38 months

AussieBritLu
Community Educator

Post by AussieBritLu » Wed Dec 17, 2014 12:55 pm

I've not fully moved on from feeding to sleep either...but I actually find that if DH deals with DS to get him to sleep it works easier than if I try to do it because of course he knows where to get mummy milk from. sometimes it works....other times he becomes unconsolable.....he does cry and scream and whinge a fair bit but he's like that even when we tell him to go to his room or put him on his bed for sleep. unfortunately I have to listen to him and it breaks my heart but it's the only way DH can deal with him.....however last night, DS actually self settled pretty quickly after DH put him to bed after he threw a major tantrum over me going to the loo!

I hope you are able to find something that will make it easier for you both...and if you find something that works, let me know! :D
DD1/2011 - FF
DS/2013 - BF 2yr4m. Weaned :-)
DD2/2016 - BF 21mths. Weaned :-/
Storked pseudo, lilypad & Vahvempi. Co-storked with Pelly for Jenbt85!
Storked by Giff for DS & Jenbt85 for DD2.

strolltotheshops

Post by strolltotheshops » Wed Dec 17, 2014 3:35 pm

Could you do something like a version of Dr Jay Gordon's night weaning method, but for day time? Snuggle to sleep? Lie down on your bed or on the loungeroom floor to snuggle to sleep? Would it matter if you can't transfer her if she'll fall asleep in the pram, i.e. could you take her for a pram walk and then keep the pram near you in the house while she sleeps in it while you do other things?

DigDig

Post by DigDig » Sat Jan 10, 2015 11:24 pm

I hope you find something that works for you!
Good luck!
Last edited by DigDig on Thu Nov 19, 2015 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DD - BF 23 months 4 1/2yrs
DD2 - BFeeding

ClOuD_NiNe

Post by ClOuD_NiNe » Sun Jan 18, 2015 2:55 pm

Thanks for your suggestions everyone. On Monday I stopped the nap time feed to sleep. The first few days went really well... Monday was easy, she fell asleep in the pram on the way home from Playgroup and I just wheeled the pram inside. She woke after 40 mins and wanted to get out but I called it a win. Tues she was happy to be rocked to sleep in the pram at home and even let me resettle her in the pram after 40 mins, so slept for 1.5 hours altogether. Wed fell asleep in the pram again after playgroup.

Then it all changed. Thursday she started screaming at nap time, refused to go in the pram, and after half an hour of carry on finally lay down with me in the bed and fell asleep. Fri was even worse, 45 mins of screaming before she said she was hungry so I made her some food before trying again. More screaming before she finally slept in the pram (has to be her decision to willingly go in the pram, otherwise she kicks and screams and climbs out. If I try to hold her down or strap her in when she's not ready it sounds like she's being murdered). Sat we were out so she slept in the car.

Today it's been 35 mins so far... Started off with screaming, refusing to lie in the pram or on the bed. She's currently hiding in the wardrobe. She's so tired she can barely keep her eyes open, but when I ask if she wants to lie down the reply is always "no". She seems to be taking this pretty hard. I've empathised with her ("you're sad the mimi's are sore"), offered cuddles, stayed calm, told her I love her... What the hell elsecan I do??

ClOuD_NiNe

Post by ClOuD_NiNe » Sun Jan 18, 2015 3:04 pm

Just heard a thud inside the wardrobe and she is literally falling asleep in there! Her head falling forwards and hitting the door. But when I opened the door and tried to pick her up she yelled at me "no! Hiding!" And pulled the door shut. :shock:

Please give me the strength to deal with this incredibly strong willed child!!