Tender breasts months after weaning

How, when and why to introduce foods other than breastmilk

Tender breasts months after weaning

Postby Shostar » Mon Dec 15, 2014 7:56 pm

My daughter weaned about 3 months ago when she was 2.5 years. She weaned gradually over a period of weeks & at the time I had no breast tenderness at all. However just this week my breasts are very tender, sore to touch but soft not lumpy or hard in any places. I bought myself my first bra since my milk came in back in the early days. Thought it could be that? They seem even more tender when I take my bra off in the evenings. Or could it be my milk supply diminishing. Has anyone else experienced anything similar?
Shostar

Re: Tender breasts months after weaning

Postby Marg » Mon Dec 15, 2014 8:21 pm

Could you be pregnant?
Mum to Monkey 15 (BF 2y2m), Possum 14 (BF1y2m) & Cupcake 12 (fully weaned at 5 1/2)
Marg
Community Educator

Postby Ducks » Mon Dec 15, 2014 8:31 pm

I sometimes get really tender beasts around ovulation, worse than mastitis ,which I've also had a few times. I've talked to drs about it and had ultrasounds (after each ulteasound the pain has stopped for a few years, they reckon it is a benign cyst). I'd have a chat to a Dr if you are worried about it. Always worth getting unusual pain checked out.
Ducks

Postby Shostar » Mon Dec 15, 2014 9:49 pm

I'm on the mini pill so I don't think I'm pregnant. Probably is worth getting checked out by GP, but hopefully just my breasts adjusting to post feeding.
Shostar

Postby Yankee » Tue Dec 16, 2014 9:17 am

Could it be your period? Some women get tenderness with their normal hormonal cycle. But if you're worried and it doesn't go away in a day or two, might be best to chat with a GP.
DD born September 2013
Yankee

Postby MamaMagoO? » Tue Dec 16, 2014 12:01 pm

I agree it would be a good idea to have a doctor check. I have heard of cases of women developing mastitis months after weaning, although the fact you can't feel any lumps is probably a good sign as far as that goes. As others have suggested I'd think it would likely be hormonal; ovulating, period and pregnancy are all things that can cause tender breasts.
Little Magoo 07/08. Breastfed for 3yrs3mths.
Miss Magoo 10/11. Breastfed for 4yrs3mths.
MamaMagoO?

Postby Shostar » Tue Dec 16, 2014 7:41 pm

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and experiences everyone. I think it is probably hormonal, initially I didn't think so because I'm on the mini-pill, but all my symptoms including low mood suggest that's the most likely. I'll leave it a few days and get it checked out if it persists.
Shostar

Return to Introducing Solids & Weaning