Breast feeding and introducing solids

How, when and why to introduce foods other than breastmilk
kafmann

Breast feeding and introducing solids

Post by kafmann » Thu Dec 11, 2014 6:16 pm

hi there my little man has just gone 5 months. I am so confused as to what to do regarding breast feeding and commencing solids. He is my first baby so I have no experience with this and am influenced by a lot by friends and family who were first time mums some 30 yrs ago or 4 kids in and can't seem to remember what it's like to be stressed and with a 'first child syndrome' approach to parent hood haha. I have done some research regarding solid introduction and it can be very confusing and contradictory as to start from 4 or 6 months while Bf or formula feeding. I started trialing a few wks ago first fruit and veg only once a day like carrots or apples pured as we checked with our doctor and she advised it was fine in small amounts as it's just for him to experience tastes and textures as such as its not for meals. He loved it but then after researching more I gave it a rest for a wk or so plus we went away on holidays. He generally sleeps from 7:30pm until 4:30 wakes for a feed then settles again and wakes for the day around 7am to which we 2hrly feed from there until bed time. I always planned to hopefully be until 6 months but since it is going well my next aim is 12 months. It's the solids that confuse me. I just wish there was a set rule what to do and when and what. Why do shops stock foods from 4 months if it's not recommended :( I read don't start at 4 months wait to 6 months but then don't leave it past 7 months because that can cause problems to?? I am lost :) I don't want to make a mistake or find out later I should or should not have done something? I a starting again now for example today he had pured Apple. My question is if I'm starting now how do I go about it with breast feeding? Just a spoonful, a meal? When do I upgrade to multiple meals? Is it ok to offer water after to wash it down. Also I am petrified of allergies for some reason as no one I know has any haha and choking oh gosh don't get me started so when do I increase textures from purée :) I have read the blw and I don't understand how they don't choke? Do these babies have teeth to break the soft veg or fruit... Help me I'm usually a control freak and hate the unknown haha now I'm a stressed mummy that has no bloody idea :)

fellare

Re: Breast feeding and introducing solids

Post by fellare » Thu Dec 11, 2014 6:48 pm

Oh, you do sound overwhelmed! There's a lot to take in, isn't it.

Basically there are two schools of though

Traditional weaning and baby led weaning.

Both have their pro and cons. Baby led weaning is popular here because it goes well with breastfeeding. Basically, from around 6 months, you start feeding bits of your own plate. No hard rules, food is mostly for fun and not nutrients as breast milk remain the main food until 1. You must go with the flow, trust your baby will know how much of what to eat. You only have to avoid added salt.

The allergy thing had been reviewed and is no longer recommended to introduce one food at a time. It takes too long to get a varied diet this way.

There is an awesome forum on baby led weaning, just Google it.
Boobymonster weaned at 3.5yrs.
Ms Firestorm born august 2015
Whatever you perceive to believe, dream.... be free.... (eMDee)

Ronale
Counsellor

Post by Ronale » Thu Dec 11, 2014 7:20 pm

Introducing solids can be really confusing, it is super hard to wade through all the research, listen to all the people you normally listen to, look at all the packets of food in the supermarket and make what you feel to be an informed and correct decision for your family. My suggestion is to read the following two articles, then if you are still feeling confused, give the Breastfeeding Helpline a call (1800686268) or if you are a member, just copy and paste your above query into the form here (https://www.breastfeeding.asn.au/servic ... ounselling) and you will receive a lovely in depth email from a trained breastfeeding counsellor. You seem to have many many questions (which is great) but it might be worth discussing them one on one rather than trying to talk it all out here because it is confusing.
https://www.breastfeeding.asn.au/bfinfo/solids.html
https://www.breastfeeding.asn.au/bf-inf ... ids/solids
DS 06.10
DS2 01.13
DS3 07.15 Storked by the fantabulous moOKI

strolltotheshops

Post by strolltotheshops » Thu Dec 11, 2014 9:34 pm

kafmann wrote:I have done some research regarding solid introduction and it can be very confusing and contradictory as to start from 4 or 6 months while Bf or formula feeding.
Throughout the world, including in Australia, the recommendation is to start complementary foods *from* six months of age. This is based on a number of factors, all of which are based on rigorously tested evidence.
kafmann wrote:started trialing a few wks ago first fruit and veg only once a day like carrots or apples pured as we checked with our doctor and she advised it was fine in small amounts as it's just for him to experience tastes and textures as such as its not for meals.
It might be worth seeking a second opinion, eg from an accredited practising dietitian http://daa.asn.au/for-the-public/find-an-apd/ with particular expertise and interest in infant nutrition and breastfeeding, or from a GP who is also an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant http://www.ilca.org/i4a/pages/index.cfm?pageid=3432 or from Australia's National Health and Medical Research Council's Infant Feeding Guidelines https://www.nhmrc.gov.au/guidelines/publications/n56, or from the World Health Organisation's Infant Feeding Recommendation http://www.who.int/nutrition/topics/inf ... dation/en/.
kafmann wrote:I just wish there was a set rule what to do and when and what.
There is :D. See above. Exclusive breastfeeding until 6 months of age, with breastfeeding continuing until 2 or more years of age, and complementary foods introduced from 6 months of age.
kafmann wrote:Why do shops stock foods from 4 months if it's not recommended
No legislation preventing it being marketed in that way.
Manufacturers, distributors, retailers, advertisers, etc either aren't bound by or aren't complying with the WHO International Code of Marketing of Breast-Milk Substitutes and/or the Marketing in Australia of Infant Formulas: Manufacturers and Importers Agreement 1992.
kafmann wrote:I read don't start at 4 months wait to 6 months but then don't leave it past 7 months because that can cause problems to?? I am lost
Don't overthink it. Breastfeed your baby according to need. Wait until 6 months of age and then begin offering complementary foods. Offering. Complementary. It doesn't need to be large amounts, and, at least for several months, you probably don't need to worry too much about whether your baby is actually ingesting much of the non-breastmilk food. Do try to offer some foods with good levels of bio-available iron, though. Not foods that have been artificially fortified with iron so that the label says there are high levels of iron even though the human body isn't able to readily access that iron.
kafmann wrote:I don't want to make a mistake or find out later I should or should not have done something?
Don't overthink it :D.
kafmann wrote:My question is if I'm starting now how do I go about it with breast feeding? Just a spoonful, a meal? When do I upgrade to multiple meals?
Breastfeed frequently and according to need. Don't over think it :D. Perhaps just offer some chunks of what you're eating whenever you sit down for a meal.
kafmann wrote:Is it ok to offer water after to wash it down.
So long as your baby isn't ingesting dangerously large amounts of water (hyponotremia), then it is OK to offer water. It's not really necessary for hydration, though. Breast milk is excellent for keeping your baby hydrated. If you want to offer water so your baby gets to practice drinking from a cup, it's OK.
kafmann wrote:Also I am petrified of allergies for some reason as no one I know has any
Cross that bridge if you come to it.
kafmann wrote:and choking
If it would help you feel more confident, then perhaps you could do a baby/child first aid course. But, unless your child has oral development challenges, if you just let your baby control what's happening with food going to and in his mouth, it's very unlikely he'll choke. Also, don't confuse gagging with choking. Choking is silent, and can be dangerous. Gagging is noisy, and generally harmless.
kafmann wrote:so when do I increase textures from purée
It's up to you. Many parents never give purée. There's no reason to. I have quite a few kids and have never given purée. There are a few reasons why I haven't. I wouldn't like someone squishing mush into my mouth, so I don't do it to my kids. And I have neither the time nor the inclination to faff about cooking and mashing and force feeding perfectly good food when I could just put a whole chunk of it in front of my baby for them to eat for themselves.
kafmann wrote:I have read the blw and I don't understand how they don't choke?
As above, maybe look into a first aid for babies/children course, and remember gagging isn't choking.
kafmann wrote:Do these babies have teeth to break the soft veg or fruit
Nope. Or, at least, not necessarily. It depends on what age your particular baby starts getting teeth. They don't need teeth to munch on food.

Yankee

Post by Yankee » Fri Dec 12, 2014 11:10 am

Welcome! First, take a deep breath, it's going to be ok. Yes the advice is conflicting, but it's ok to just go with what feels right to you. A few more suggestions of my own, I did a mix of baby-led and spoon feeding:

No matter how you feed solids, just make sure baby is always sitting upright (not leaning back like in a bouncer). That way if he wants to spit out the food it falls out easily and is less likely to go backwards and choke.

Babies can mash a surprising range of foods with their gums. Even without teeth, for example they can happily mash away at a small piece of bread or a strawberry.

There are a few foods that you should cut up to reduce choking hazards - cut grapes in half, grate up raw carrot, thinly slice or grate apples. Very hard things like carrot shouldn't be given in sticks until they have molars, in case they nip off a big chunk that they can't yet chew.

For the first few months, as you said, food is about fun and textures. Try letting your baby hold the spoon with a bit of food on the end. Give them a few pieces of what you're eating so they can explore the feeling and texture. Have fun with it! Embrace the mess! Think of it as another fun activity to fill the day.
DD born September 2013

kafmann

Post by kafmann » Fri Dec 12, 2014 5:40 pm

Thank you for all your advice it's comforting but still so hard not to over think things. Wish me luck